New HR21 install, Pixelization on locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmehal

Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Just had HR21 installed Tuesday, my first High Def.
Installer was terrific. We noticed some pixelization on the locals, so he went back up and tweaked antenna alignment. Signal strength increased but we still saw problems only on the locals. He then rebooted the receiver and we no longer saw the issue over 5 minutes of watching the channels.
Tues nite, while recording Bones on local FOX HD, I saw the pixelization again. Rebooted receiver again last nite, but still have Pixelization issues, and it was not windy last nite.
Installer said the antenna may need stablizer's, although he admitted he was not sure exactly what the issue was. It was a bit windy at times Tues and he thought that could be moving the dish enough to mess with reception. He admitted that DirecTV had not yet updated his meter for the 103 Sat that has the locals on it, he was provided with instructions on how to deal with that on alignment.

All other non-local HD channels come in fine with no issues.

What's the deal, is it equipment, alignment, or just the way it is?
Should I call the installer back out?

thanks,
joe

Welcome to the forum!!

First we need a little more info.

Where are you located and what Fox affiliate are you viewing?

Here in Milwaukee, Our Fox affiliate has been having some kind of problems with their broadcasts as well, During the Packers game the last two weeks, there have been instances where we lose the OTA (Over The Air) signal completely, Also occurred this week during Bones and House.

Thanks,
I am in the North Georgia area, the FOX affiliate is WAGA in Atlanta.
I had same issue last nite with NBC (WXIA Atlanta) and ABC (WSB Atlanta)
Called installer earlier and told him, I noted that there was no wind last nite. He stated he knew what I needed and is coming out Monday.
He attended DirecTV "continuing education" course for Installers yesterday that he had told me about during the install. Maybe he learned something new..we'll see.

It may very well be just a Fox thing last night, or an install quirk. But if not, I have a couple comments.

I spend a lot of time wathing TVs in stores and I am certain that you can see pixelation on all tv's if you watch long enough and closely enough. Unforturnately for me, my eye is now trained itself to pick this up.

But, I am also sure that the signal being fed to the tv make a huge dirrerence. On my 720p tv I get a better picture by forcing the H20 output to 720. I don't know why this is, maybe the H20 converts better than the tv. Play with you H20 outputs - you will see a difference if you watch closely.
I get a better picture on my 1080p tv forcing the output to 1080. From my experience, using my and friend's tv's, I see no reason to ever use the H20 native setting (although, i'm sure someone will disagree)

I have also noticed that some shows pixel more than others. For example, on all my tvs, shades of red on NCIS always pixel. Some shows seem to produce better signals, perhap due to the equipment used to make them.

I was having similar problems randomly on different HD channels on my HR21-700. I talked to a knowledgeable CSR(oxymoron) in technical support and she confirmed apparently there is a problem with pixelation when using the HDMI cable and which D is aware of. She said a software upgrade would be available soon to fix the problem. She then had me switch to component cables and problem solved.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts