New Hybrid LNB coming Dec. 10

Probably start phasing them out. I would see if I could get some from eBay just as backups if you wanted to maintain.
You would think DISH would have a set of new LNBs for the 1000+ dish to point at all four birds. Maybe they are planning to phase out 118.7.

Do you think DISH will keep stocking DPP LNBs and Nodes or phase them out with the new LNBs and Hubs?
I doubt that DPP is going away. There is still a market for DP singles/duals where a wing dish is necessary.

Even after DISH stops stocking it, those that hang on to legacy switchgear will continue to hold on to it and for whatever reason, those people seem to be pretty resolved to value component count above all else. eBay is a great place to find legacy LNBs and switchgear. One seller is trying to auction off a legacy dual LNB for $25. I think if you're in the market for a Dish 300, you may be stuck. ;)

It is pretty certain that they won't for the same reason that you can't use a Dual Node to add a ViP receiver.
Unless they designed this new LNB around the larger customer base. There are more non hoppers on the market, then hoppers. Out of all 14 million customers, I believe the last number I saw was 6 million Hopper accounts. It being a hybrid LNB may shed some light to that as well.

Unless they designed this new LNB around the larger customer base. There are more non hoppers on the market, then hoppers. Out of all 14 million customers, I believe the last number I saw was 6 million Hopper accounts. It being a hybrid LNB may shed some light to that as well.
WOW, that's lots of folks that haven't hopped on to the Hoppers yet.

Why wouldn't they keep DPP stuff around? There will be plenty of install scenarios where the hybrid setup won't work. If the Hopper was the only receiver they sold period, then maybe you could see eventually phasing out, but they still sell non-Hopper receivers for both home and RV users. Plus, even in the notice that was posted earlier in the thread there was explicitly situations where they said a DPP (IE: non-hybrid) setup would be required. Then, finally, think about MDU and business installations where a two output LNB would not work.

Dish is very much following DirecTV's lead, where even with the SWM, where they've slowly over time reduced the amount of equipment such as switches needed, and where they're about to release an LNB that supports 22 tuners from every single one of their orbital slots on one coax that can be split like cable TV, they still sell old legacy four output LNBs and external SWM and even non-SWM switches.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Why wouldn't they keep DPP stuff around? There will be plenty of install scenarios where the hybrid setup won't work. If the Hopper was the only receiver they sold period, then maybe you could see eventually phasing out, but they still sell non-Hopper receivers for both home and RV users. Plus, even in the notice that was posted earlier in the thread there was explicitly situations where they said a DPP (IE: non-hybrid) setup would be required. Then, finally, think about MDU and business installations where a two output LNB would not work.

Dish is very much following DirecTV's lead, where even with the SWM, where they've slowly over time reduced the amount of equipment such as switches needed, and where they're about to release an LNB that supports 22 tuners from every single one of their orbital slots on one coax that can be split like cable TV, they still sell old legacy four output LNBs and external SWM and even non-SWM switches.
They did say earlier that you can have a wing dish plugged into the LNB for 118.7, which would still make the DPH successful. If it can work with VIP equipment, then the very small number of international customers will still be able to be pleased with much less equipment for the larger subset.

They did say earlier that you can have a wing dish plugged into the LNB for 118.7, which would still make the DPH successful. If it can work with VIP equipment, then the very small number of international customers will still be able to be pleased with much less equipment for the larger subset.

Sure, they want this to cover as many scenarios as possible, but since it doesn't completely, 100% do the job, then the DPP stuff will still be out there manufactured and installed.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sure, they want this to cover as many scenarios as possible, but since it doesn't completely, 100% do the job, then the DPP stuff will still be out there manufactured and installed.
I disagree with your assessment. VIP 722 still does the job, yet they do not manufacturer those anymore, and haven't for awhile. There is enough in stock to not worry about it.

I disagree with your assessment. VIP 722 still does the job, yet they do not manufacturer those anymore, and haven't for awhile. There is enough in stock to not worry about it.

I don't think you got my point. There are going to be *brand new* installations where this hybrid setup won't work:

1. Any number of Hoppers > 2
2. MDU/commercial building setups (offices, sports bars, hotels, condos, apartments)
3. RVs who use non-Hopper receivers (which you can buy today right now brand new)
4. Legacy setups that will need repair if they aren't upgrading to Hopper

I'm not just talking about keeping around backstock for replacements. Going forward there will continue to be a need for brand new legacy DPP equipment.

Reactions: Troch77
New customers still get the 722, there has been nothing said that denotes the new LNB will not work with VIP equipment or below, RVers can still use if it works with VIP equipment and below.

The 722s in stock are not just for replacement. New customers get them and 211 and even 625's. They still offer them, but do not still manufacturer them, eliminating that from your point. The only thing that would make sense would be commercial accounts, and with the number they would have in stock(I promise, they have a great many in stock) the DPP LNBF can be phased out. Now if someone came on here and said it will not work with VIP equipment, then you may have a point, but there has been nothing proven to that as of yet. Both your argument and mine is all speculative, and unfortusntely there are not enough facts on the table yet. We do not even know what the new LNbs can do yet. For all we know, it can handle Commercial accounts with the right improved equipment there as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)