New install 2 hopper's and 2 joey's

rickcee

Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Atlanta
I am new to Dish. I had 1 hopper, 1 hopper w/sling and 2 joey's installed last Friday. It seems I may have a problem with the HWS. It keeps on disconnecting from the internet. Both hoppers are hooked up directly to my router via cat 5. The hopper is fine, the HWS has beed disconnected from the internet each time i've tried to use it. After resetting the HWS it will reconnect but a couple of hours later it is disconnected again. Anybody have any ideas what it could be?

So I would leave the original hopper hooked up to the internet and then go to the Broadband menu and select Moca from the drop down then press the blue key on the remote twice. Select the bridging option and turn it on and save. Then I would go to the hopper with sling and try to connect to some random wifi network or enter the wrong wifi password so it stops connecting over wifi and instead starts sharing the Hoppers internet connection.

Last edited:
So I would leave the original hopper hooked up to the internet and then go to the Broadband menu and select Moca from the drop down then press the blue key on the remote twice. Select the bridging option and turn it on and save. Then I would go to the hopper with sling and try to connect to some random wifi network or enter the wrong wifi password so it stops connecting over wifi and instead starts sharing the Hoppers internet connection.

Is there no way to just turn the WiFi off on the HWS?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Well that sux. My HWS will be delivered Wednesday. It will replace the hard wired Hopper that is bridged. I want the HWS to be connected the same way. Will this be a problem?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Yes, I have mine set up that way. I just entered the wrong password for my wifi network and it stopped trying to connect via wifi and im sharing this connection with my other hopper.

Well that sux. My HWS will be delivered Wednesday. It will replace the hard wired Hopper that is bridged. I want the HWS to be connected the same way. Will this be a problem?

Agreed. Same here.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Yes, I have mine set up that way. I just entered the wrong password for my wifi network and it stopped trying to connect via wifi and im sharing this connection with my other hopper.

The only problem with that method is interference. While it won't connect to the network via WiFi, the radio is still on and searching for signals and/or attempting to connect to the network with the wrong password. Not sure how much (if not negligible) the interference would affect the WiFi network, but the potential to cause interference is there. Kind of odd that Dish didn't think about adding the option to disable the wireless radio, especially with the Hopper having MoCA and Ethernet as alternatives. I guess they'll eventually get around to giving the option though.

The only problem with that method is interference. While it won't connect to the network via WiFi, the radio is still on and searching for signals and/or attempting to connect to the network with the wrong password. Not sure how much (if not negligible) the interference would affect the WiFi network, but the potential to cause interference is there. Kind of odd that Dish didn't think about adding the option to disable the wireless radio, especially with the Hopper having MoCA and Ethernet as alternatives. I guess they'll eventually get around to giving the option though.

That's my thinking as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)