New install coming up, have questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gib4500

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Ohio
I have a new install coming up with directv on Monday. I have some questions. Does anyone know if the installer will probably just use the existing cable i had for dish? I know they will have to run another wire. I have a small space underneath the trailer where the cable goes. My landlord has offered to run another cable for me underneath the trailer before the installer comes so he doesn't have to run it through the wall or go under the trailer. I didn't know if the installer would be willing to go under the trailer or not to run the wire since it is kind of a small space.

So should i go ahead and have my landlord run the extra wire ahead of time, or are installers for directv used to somewhat small areas underneath trailers? All of the rest of the install should be relativly easy for installer. I will probably just have him put the new directv dish where my dish network dish is now out on my patio. I'm excited to finally get directv. I hope the install goes smooth. Thanks.

I went from dish to directv today. The installer used the existing cable and ran the 2nd drop for the dvr for free. I did tip him well. He did a great job. Just talk to the installer, they are very flexible.:up

The installer is supposed to run new cables. The cable used is supposed to be of a quality and possibly even brand as required by DTV.
The installer is supposed to get as many installations done in a day as possible.

Meaning do not screw around with customer preferences for cable. There is no way a trailer installation can take more than an hour. There is nothing except the window frames to support the dish so that is where the dish goes......or on a porch or pole.

If the landlord wants to run cable that is sweet but it should be done before the tech arrives.........Drill the walls and move on. There will be enough down time getting the equipment activated.........what do you expect for FREE!

Joe

I just moved today from Dish to DirecTV. My install is Sat 4/5. I have no problem with the install tech using my existing cable. The guy that installed my Dish Network in 2002 did a great job and I've never had a problem with wiring. Most of my cable is in my basement and the rest is under a deck out back, so the elements can't really get to my cable. I changed due to much more HD and a better price with DirecTV. I'll save about 300.00 the first 12 months and about half that the 2nd year.

I just added DirecTV on Sunday and am keeping bare-bones Dish Network until the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs are over. I bought Center Ice with Dish and switched to DirecTV to get Extra innings. So right now I have two dishes in the back yard and two sets of cables.

To answer the OP's question.. you can have your landlord run the cable if he is willing to buy 2.2ghtz or 3ghtz rg6. My guess is he will go the cheap route and buy a 25-35' of pre-connected rg59 from home depot.

Trailers are cake 30min-1h tops.. The tech should inspect the existing cable is the right spec (3ghtz but 2.2 RG6 will work for non-hd) and definitely 3ghtz if your getting HD, with no splitters inline. As far as going under I would recommend that you open a couple slabs of the skirting for him. As far as I know no HSP says no way to go under trailers or a crawl space pending no moisture, the tech can fit, and it isn't moldy. He could also drill through the wall and hide the cable along side of the skirting cover, white cable is usually normal stock.

If he does elect a pole make sure he make a decent hole and uses at least 50lbs of concrete in it. Also make him aware of any restrictions your landlord has in place. you had Dish, so unless you removed the mount for it, it could be used as well, unless your going HD.

Don;t settle for a crappy install.. any decent installer will look at the home/work as it was his own home.. and wont care if its a $100 a month trailer with holes in the floor or a 7 million dollar house.

Just for me personally about crawlspaces:

If it is relatively dry, plastic sheeting or pea-gravel, has been sealed up, and I can fit, I usually don't have a problem going in them, and I'm a big guy. 6'7" and 290.

If they have been open, as in a vent has been knocked out or the metal door is open, I'm really leery about animals (snakes in particular love crawlspaces) but I'll usually still go in them. Water usually collects around the outside walls if it collects at all.

If it has standing water in it, I absolutely WILL NOT go in it. For one simple reason. Most electrical on trailers/modulars is done underneath as well, something could be hanging down in the water running a current through it and you wouldn't know it til you touched it.

If it just has the plastic skirting around it, no need to go under it really just throw some fish rods up under there and attach your cables, pull them out the other side or whatever. I usually drill down through the floor, run my cables DOWN, then hook them with my rods and pull them to me without having to go under it.

But like I said most cinder block foundation crawlspaces, you either have to go in or run everything on the outside of the house.

Just for me personally about crawlspaces:

If it is relatively dry, plastic sheeting or pea-gravel, has been sealed up, and I can fit, I usually don't have a problem going in them, and I'm a big guy. 6'7" and 290.

If they have been open, as in a vent has been knocked out or the metal door is open, I'm really leery about animals (snakes in particular love crawlspaces) but I'll usually still go in them. Water usually collects around the outside walls if it collects at all.

If it has standing water in it, I absolutely WILL NOT go in it. For one simple reason. Most electrical on trailers/modulars is done underneath as well, something could be hanging down in the water running a current through it and you wouldn't know it til you touched it.

If it just has the plastic skirting around it, no need to go under it really just throw some fish rods up under there and attach your cables, pull them out the other side or whatever. I usually drill down through the floor, run my cables DOWN, then hook them with my rods and pull them to me without having to go under it.

But like I said most cinder block foundation crawlspaces, you either have to go in or run everything on the outside of the house.

Nor will I go into the crawlspace if the resident is using it as an additional storage space. Another thing that will keep me out of a crawlspace is even the slightest whiff of raw sewage. :no

Well the installer showed up and did a good job with the install. The crawlspace didn't bother him. I did have a problem with the receiver at first but i figured out what the problem was. There was a handshake issue between my reciever and tv. Has anyone else had this problem? Sometimes when the reciever comes on and its on hdmi a white flicker will occur on the screen about every second but i figured out a way around that. I have to just switch inputs on my tv and then switch back and it clears it up. So if anyone has this problem with the directv hd dvr try this first. Component works fine also. At first i thought it was a bad receiver. My tv is a little over a year old 37 inch toshiba lcd tv.

Overall i'm happy about my decision to switch to directv. The dvr is different than dish's but i'm getting used to it. The picture is also very good. I recommend directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)