New Install Impressions

Range007

Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Wisconsin
I hope this is the right forum to place this as I couldn't find a forum which included this type of posting.

I just wanted to provide some feedback of the installation, picture quality, and programming of my recent Dish Network installation. I live in an apartment complex so I had to go through a local authorized reseller for my Dish service. The technician said the previous dish on roof of apartment was incompatible with my package so he installed a new satellite dish. I bundled my DISH TV with TDS Internet and phone and received a hellova deal. It took about 1.5 hours to complete entire installation which included a 222k HD Duo receiver, two UHF remotes, wiring to a second TV in bedroom, and Wireless USB adapter. Installer explained common remote functions and also covered pertinent details of contract and obtained my required signature. The technician was professional and performed what in my opinion was a very solid job in the Dish installation. The only minor negative would be the total time of the installation.

The PQ is stunning on my Samsung 1080P LED Screen using a HDMI connection. Response time when changing channels is light years better than on the Dish System I had back in 1996 LOL. Another plus is the ability to include 7 channels on EPG.

Negatives include the annoying "watch your favorite shows on dishonline.com" nag message and other variants. It seems the DISH remote controls barely any functions of my TV. (better remote code??) Subscribed Superstations HD feeds show up in guide but have error messages when attempting to view. A very pleasant experience so far. Even received two free PPV movies for completion of online ID. :)

You can turn off that banner ad in the EPG it's somewhere in the menu under guide settings. I ve be hoppertized so can't remember the VIP menus anymore. Also keep trying other TV codes. I had my system for a year where pressing and holding the volume button would only change the volume by one bar at a time. Finally tried other codes and now it works like the OEM remote. Also some Dish remotes can learn from other remotes.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

For the super station question try contacting a DIRT member. They are real Dish CSR Albeit they are really really good CSRs. It might just be a package flag problem. Sorry I would give you exact step how to contact them in the form but just search contacting DIRT and you will find what you need. I live here solely in the app world which has limits.

Have you rebooted :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Your remote is probably set to limited mode, it's a standard practice more or less required of installers. To eliminate it, hold the "sat" button until all 4 mode lights come on, press the "page down" button, and then press "#".

The tv code for Samsung should be 738. Press and hold the sat button till all mode lights are on, press 738, press #.

Your install time of 1.5 hours is a fraction of what some installs would take. That's not something to complain about, you should instead be thankful. lol.

If the OP is happy with his 222k, just imagine how happy he/she would have been with a 722k!

Welcome to satellite guys, stick around for great info and great conversation.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Yeah Welcome Satelliteguys best place on the Web for all of your Satellite TV News.. :)

Welcome! Just to answer a couple of things.
1. You can't get rid of the banner about getting shows online. The only banner you can turn off is at the bottom of some guides.

2. Superstations with one possible exception are not in HD. If you do not get that superstation as part of your regular locals, it will be in SD. WWOR is an exception for a limited area.

3.1 1/2 hour install seems like a fast install ! :)

4. Sometimes the remote does only control certain features of the TV. It is possible as you suggest a different code will yield more.

5. If you didn't know, you can use and an external hard drive to save programs. The only downside is the model you chose is not compatible with any of the other Dish receivers that use an external hard drive. If you upgrade to a newer/better receiver at some point, you will not be able to view those programs on the external hard drive.
The upside is, your receiver and instillation is about the lowest cost with most functions (if you use an external hard drive) you can get just about anywhere. Another words a good value.

Last edited:
Regarding remote, I have a Samsung and experienced similar problems. I tried another Samsung code and all was well.

5. If you didn't know, you can use and an external hard drive to save programs.

Are you sure about that? Unless there has been a big change recently, the 222k is not able to be converted to a DVR with an external hard drive. Only the 211(k) models.

And I would agree that an hour and a half to replace a dish and install a duo receiver is pretty remarkable actually.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

BUT!! It looks like I spoke to soon about my installation. Tonight when I got home I had a screen that says I am not receiving signal. There was off and on rain today in my area but it wasn't heavy nor any thunderstorm, lightning or thunder either. The message which was displayed on my receiver listed troubleshooting steps which instructed me to unplug for 10 seconds and in 5 minutes all should be done. Well that didn't work. Followed all troubleshoot steps such as checking connections, etc and nothing has helped. Called the local authorized reseller but they just have a message where they will call back as soon as they can. Probably after hours so won't hear back till morning. Called dish and they went through some check switch step but my lack of Dish service is left unchanged. National DISH told me they could have someone here on Thursday afternoon. :mad: But I believe (hope) the local authorized reseller and their technician will hopefully be out tomorrow to fix whatever is bunked up. Not too happy only TWO days in and this mess :mad:

Could be a common intermittent problem which has virtually no solution. Dish Network equipment runs into this from time to time. The installer may replace the dish, all the cable, the receiver, the ground block, everything, and it STILL may be giving you problems. So don't tag it on a bad install just yet (not that you are already). I've personally seen multiple situations where it takes 3-5 tech visits to replace every part of the system piece by piece, every time believing the problem is resolved only to have it recur a few hours or days or weeks later. It may end up being something with your electricity, etc. But that's the worst case scenario.

Let us know what the tech does to resolve the issue, and if the issue persists beyond the bad weather.

Are you sure about that? Unless there has been a big change recently, the 222k is not able to be converted to a DVR with an external hard drive. Only the 211(k) models.

Wow! My bad. I had 211K in my mind. Sorry for the misinformation!

Range007 said:
I hope this is the right forum to place this as I couldn't find a forum which included this type of posting.

I just wanted to provide some feedback of the installation, picture quality, and programming of my recent Dish Network installation. I live in an apartment complex so I had to go through a local authorized reseller for my Dish service. The technician said the previous dish on roof of apartment was incompatible with my package so he installed a new satellite dish. I bundled my DISH TV with TDS Internet and phone and received a hellova deal. It took about 1.5 hours to complete entire installation which included a 222k HD Duo receiver, two UHF remotes, wiring to a second TV in bedroom, and Wireless USB adapter. Installer explained common remote functions and also covered pertinent details of contract and obtained my required signature. The technician was professional and performed what in my opinion was a very solid job in the Dish installation. The only minor negative would be the total time of the installation.

The PQ is stunning on my Samsung 1080P LED Screen using a HDMI connection. Response time when changing channels is light years better than on the Dish System I had back in 1996 LOL. Another plus is the ability to include 7 channels on EPG.

Negatives include the annoying "watch your favorite shows on dishonline.com" nag message and other variants. It seems the DISH remote controls barely any functions of my TV. (better remote code??) Subscribed Superstations HD feeds show up in guide but have error messages when attempting to view. A very pleasant experience so far. Even received two free PPV movies for completion of online ID. :)

You complain that it took 1.5 hours to do a 2 room install?

With all the crap we are required to do your lucky it didn't take 3 hours.

There are different remote codes in your reciever manual.

Your remote is probably set to limited mode, it's a standard practice more or less required of installers. To eliminate it, hold the "sat" button until all 4 mode lights come on, press the "page down" button, and then press "#".

The tv code for Samsung should be 738. Press and hold the sat button till all mode lights are on, press 738, press #.

Your install time of 1.5 hours is a fraction of what some installs would take. That's not something to complain about, you should instead be thankful. lol.
Dish technicians are required to set the remote in "limited mode"....

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

BUT!! It looks like I spoke to soon about my installation. Tonight when I got home I had a screen that says I am not receiving signal. There was off and on rain today in my area but it wasn't heavy nor any thunderstorm, lightning or thunder either. The message which was displayed on my receiver listed troubleshooting steps which instructed me to unplug for 10 seconds and in 5 minutes all should be done. Well that didn't work. Followed all troubleshoot steps such as checking connections, etc and nothing has helped. Called the local authorized reseller but they just have a message where they will call back as soon as they can. Probably after hours so won't hear back till morning. Called dish and they went through some check switch step but my lack of Dish service is left unchanged. National DISH told me they could have someone here on Thursday afternoon. :mad: But I believe (hope) the local authorized reseller and their technician will hopefully be out tomorrow to fix whatever is bunked up. Not too happy only TWO days in and this mess :mad:
Samsung as well as Toshiba tvs are the bane of the technicians existence. Here's why. When the tv is set to the improper input, there is a message on the screen that says "mo signal" or no video signal"..Most customers believe this is a satellite reception problem. It is not. The most common occurance is the user has set the tv to the incorrect input.

dishcomm said:
Samsung as well as Toshiba tvs are the bane of the technicians existence. Here's why. When the tv is set to the improper input, there is a message on the screen that says "mo signal" or no video signal"..Most customers believe this is a satellite reception problem. It is not. The most common occurance is the user has set the tv to the incorrect input.

If the tv was on the wrong input there would not be a troubleshooting screen from the dish receiver....op stated that he had the dish signal lost screen with trouble shooting steps.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)