Status
Please reply by conversation.

netbldr

Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
South Carolina
new install - new directv user 3lnb vs 5, hd quality

Hello,
I just had directv installed to replace cable. 1 HR22, 1 H22, and 2 standard boxes. The installation was supposed to include a 5lnb dish, but the installer put in a slimline 3lnb dish, mounted on a pole in my backyard. What is the difference? Should I do anything about it? Is there anyway to improve the HD quality? Cable had less artifacts when watching HBO HD, etc.
Thanks in advance.
-Scott

Last edited:
Hello,
I just had directv installed to replace cable. 1 HR22, 1 H22, and 2 standard boxes. The installation was supposed to include a 5lnb dish, but the installer put in a slimline 3lnb dish, mounted on a pole in my backyard. What is the difference? Should I do anything about it? Is there anyway to improve the HD quality? Cable had less artifacts when watching HBO HD, etc.
Thanks in advance.
-Scott

Chances are it's a slimline 5 lnb that he put up, it only has 3 visible LNBs as 3 sats are built into one ....
Check your signals to see if they are in the 80-90's.
Are you sure your watching the HBO channels on the HD channels ?

If you go to Menu - Set Up - System Set Up under Info and test- Sat dish and antenna, look under Dish Type, it should say Slimline-5, or maybe it's the newer one that would be a Slimline 3 that only sees the three main sats anymore.
99, 101 and 103
probably needs a slight fine tuning ....

Jimbo

System setup shows a slimline 3S- swm as the dish.

The HBO channels are the HD ones. :) I maybe new to directv... but.... lol.

On the signals, the lowest is a 96, with a 0 on "18"... 32 transponders at 101? Not sure what I am looking at there.

Fine tuning is a dishmovement thing?

if your lowest signal strength is a 96, you are fine. The dish is lined up properly.
And I wouldn't be concerned about the 5lnb, 3lnb thing. We are basically using whatever is in the warehouse nowadays. It doesn't affect the signal strength at all, it just doesn't pick up the 110 or 119, which you only need for some international channels

I'm not sure who your cable company was, but I've had HD with Comcast, E*, and D* now and they all have some artifacts. The worst by far was Comcast though. I haven't noticed it as much with either E* or D*. My only bitch about D* is the number of HD HBO's compared to what I had with E*. I have become spoiled with HD now and anytime there is an HD option versus SD I want it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts