New Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

play4fun

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Louisiana
I'm getting Directv installed this Thursday. It says 3 Hd plus dvr's and 3 lnb's on the order that they sent to me. Is it possible to have the wall plates installed and how much extra will that be? I'm not crazy about having holes drilled in the ceilings in the closets. Is there any way of finding out exactly what dvr's i'll be getting and whom in my area will be installing it? I appreciate any suggestions or advice anybody can offer.

Find out who is going to do the install and ask them what they will be installing.

Also, do some homework on where the cabling can be put.
Fishing cables and wall plates will most likely cost extra.
How much depends on the installer.

So why are you switching from Dish Network? :)

I have a general idea on where I want the wall plates installed. One of the bedrooms already has a wall plate. I do have Dish Network and plan on keeping it. I'm getting Directv for MLBEI. I don't have a problem paying extra because I understand it's not considered part of the free install. I can have them run it thru the closets and then later on install the wall plates myself.

Order your system from a local retailer and then you'll know exactly who will do the work.

Order your system from a local retailer and then you'll know exactly who will do the work.

Great advice! That's the only way to know for sure who will be out to install your system. Other than that, the job will be routed to a tech the day before the install. It's a pretty random process.

Buy the wall plates your self and be prepared to pay at least $75 for a wall fish, depending on what needs to be done.

Guy's, How many of you actually know your "Local" installers ?
Chances are you have never met them either, unless it happens to be a company you frequent.

Only advantage you get this way is you have someone local to contact if you have any trouble/issues.

There are plenty of GOOD installers out there working for D*.
My suggestion is if you see the guy doing something you don't want done, question him about it, go thru everything before hand so you know what he's going to do.
Talk with the installer and you can get a idea if he's seasoned or someone new.

Jimbo

i got dtv installed saturday and the installer did NOT install a dish for me - he connected me to my neighbors dish and assured me that was 100% normal...

wtf?

I usually ask questions and try to learn as much as possible. I probably bug them more than I should but only because I want to know what is going on. I don't have a problem paying $75 for the wall fish if that covers all 3. The only local installer I know personally works for Dish Network. He installed my hd dvr's.

Jimbo, I see you have GO TIGERS in your sig, might I ask which TIGERS you're talking about?

Make sure you let your tech know your keeping Dish. As far as the wall fishes they are generally charged per receiver, and do come with wall plates.

As far as which HDDVR's you will get it could be a HR20/21/22/23 even most HSP's cant tell you which ones a tech has as most will loadout enough boxes for 5 days.

I will make sure I let the tech know I'm keeping Dish. I don't know if I can justify paying $75 per receiver. I guess I could go out to the money tree in the backyard and pull off enough to pay for it.

Thanks for all the replies and if I have any more questions I'll post them.

I usually ask questions and try to learn as much as possible. I probably bug them more than I should but only because I want to know what is going on. I don't have a problem paying $75 for the wall fish if that covers all 3. The only local installer I know personally works for Dish Network. He installed my hd dvr's.

Jimbo, I see you have GO TIGERS in your sig, might I ask which TIGERS you're talking about?

Detroit Tigers ....
Last year, I emphasized it, this year I didn't feel I needed to.
Lots of LSU fans wanted to catch me on it !

Jimbo

Detroit Tigers ....
Last year, I emphasized it, this year I didn't feel I needed to.
Lots of LSU fans wanted to catch me on it !

Jimbo

I never assumed you meant the LSU TIGERS because everyone knows a TRUE Tiger fan would have spelled GO: GEAUX!

I'm getting Directv installed this Thursday.

Yeah I am getting DirecTV installed this thursday as well. I am getting rid of Dish Network. I am getting the XTRA package plus HD and I am getting one HD DVR, One HD receiver, and one Standard receiver. I can't wait.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)