New installation/extra cable runs query

Status
Please reply by conversation.

redhot47fl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2004
Could really use some fairly basic (to everyone but me) help.

We're current D* subs in South Florida and we're moving soon to Tallahassee, where a new house is under construction. Ideally, I'd like to stay with D* rather than start with Comcast, but I've had some dicey experiences with D* installers, so I'm trying to think and plan ahead to make life easier for them, which will make life easier for me.

I have the option of doing extra cable runs during construction of the house in Tallahassee and I'm trying to figure out what to have the contractor do.

Here is the setup I envision:

Two HD sets, each with an HD DVR. One downstairs, one upstairs.

And two additional TVs upstairs, currently non-HD, though I imagine that they'll be upgraded soon enough.

First question:

- Is the SWM universally available now and likely to be a known quantity in a place like Tallahassee?

- If the answer is yes, I assume that I don't need to worry about doing double cable runs to the rooms with the DVRs - right?

- If the answer about the SWM's universality is no or maybe, it would be wise to install double cable runs to the rooms with the DVRs - right?

- Now for a further complication -- what if I also want to hook up some or all of the four sets to basic cable service as a backup source to my D* signal? Can that also be done through the SWM, still eliminating the need for a second (or even third) cable run to any or all of those sets?

Many thanks for the help.

Even if the SWM is universally available, it never hurts to run spare cables. One thing I've learned in this job is to go WAY overboard with your outlet/network/phone/cable plans because you never know when you're going to change your mind and relocate something, and it is a helluva lot easier to do it now.

My recommendation is to run 2 RG6, 2 Cat5e/Cat6, and a four outlet power receptacle to any location where you might ever envision having the need for one of those connections. Run all of the RG6 and Cat5/6 cables back to a central location such as a media closet, and make sure that EVERYTHING is labeled. From the closet, run 2 cat5/cat6 cables and 5 or 6 RG6 cables outside (since you were looking at adding basic cable and I'm assuming a cable internet provider), ideally to a location close to your power meter and with a clear view of the southern sky.

Ditto. Cabling before sheetrocking is so much easier, cost should be minimal compare to later installations.

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the help and advice.

Just for my knowledge base, though:

1. Are SWMs widely available now and widely used?

2. If one were used in the installation scheme I describe - two HD DVRS and two other sets - would I still be able to get by with just the one cable run?

Status
Please reply by conversation.