New Installation - Houston

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jstexas

Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Here is a recap of how my installation went yesterday. I was scheduled for 8-12 and got a call around 9:30 saying that the technician would arrive around 11:30. I got a call at 11:30 saying they would be there in about 45 minutes and they arrived around 12:45. Not too bad considering they had a morning installation before mine. They (it was an experienced technician and a trainee) did a quick survey of the setup and told me they would need to drop another cable line behind the TV to use the HD DVR fully and it would cost $60. I wasn't expecting this but I also didn't do much research. They began working on the dish in the backyard and had it mounted within about 90 minutes. They then went into the attic, dropped the second cable line, and then connected the satellite. In the process, they disconnected a phone line but had it back and operational within about 15 minutes. After starting up the receiver and activating service they did a quick review with me. They were gone by 4:45.

So, four hours to install a dish, drop a cable line, and setup one receiver.

Here is a recap of how my installation went yesterday. I was scheduled for 8-12 and got a call around 9:30 saying that the technician would arrive around 11:30. I got a call at 11:30 saying they would be there in about 45 minutes and they arrived around 12:45. Not too bad considering they had a morning installation before mine. They (it was an experienced technician and a trainee) did a quick survey of the setup and told me they would need to drop another cable line behind the TV to use the HD DVR fully and it would cost $60. I wasn't expecting this but I also didn't do much research. They began working on the dish in the backyard and had it mounted within about 90 minutes. They then went into the attic, dropped the second cable line, and then connected the satellite. In the process, they disconnected a phone line but had it back and operational within about 15 minutes. After starting up the receiver and activating service they did a quick review with me. They were gone by 4:45.

So, four hours to install a dish, drop a cable line, and setup one receiver.

Some installers are fast others are not. when i signed up for E* 8 months ago the installer was in and out in about 1 hour and 15 mins.

every house is different, some can take me an hour some up to 4 or more. some are easy, some are just pains. just be happy your guy took his time especially with a trainee. maybe when u get an upgrade itll be the trainee doing it by himself.

I hope the $60 for a 2nd line behind the tv is not a standard charge, because my wife will just cancel the order when they come on Saturday to do my install, my E* is working fine, we wer just switching over to D* for better channel selection.

no the $60 is a custom charge meaning if we have to run a line through your attic and down your wall aka wall fish, then you'll be looking at a charge. but externally there is no charge to run a 2nd line for a dvr or hd dvr. maybe you'll get lucky and the installer will have a heart or find more easy to do it without a charge. it's your choice, not ours.

E* used a little splitter thing to make my VIP622 work with 1 cable and works perfectly, hopefully he can use the same setup. Even if it was a drop the hole is plenty big enough and stright above the wall jack. Hope it works out, because i want the service. My wife does not careeither way and she usually wins out just to save me from hearing about it later.:rolleyes:

E* used a little splitter thing to make my VIP622 work with 1 cable and works perfectly, hopefully he can use the same setup. Even if it was a drop the hole is plenty big enough and stright above the wall jack. Hope it works out, because i want the service. My wife does not careeither way and she usually wins out just to save me from hearing about it later.:rolleyes:

Nope, D* DVR's need two lines for the sat connection unless you have a SWM and they're only using them currently for multi unit setup's. When I did a movers connection install the installer did a drop down the wall to my wiring center and didn't charge anything for it, maybe because once he did that he didn't have to run wires anywhere else.

negotiate with the tech. that sometimes help. ive received gift certificates, cards, sometimes even a tip is generous.

I am not sure how the E* installer did it , but the 622 uses 2 coax inputs as well for the tv1 and tv2 to work properly. I guess i will find out Saturday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)