new iphone 4.0 can i get reviews pros and cons.im debating on the iphone and droid x

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Scott,when you get done could you please give us a review of the new iphone 4.0 the pros and cons of it.i want to get one but am deciding on the iphone and the new droidx coming out soon.anyones else pros and cons of the new i phone would be appreciated thank you for any replies:)

You should decide what you really want, tight control or freedom to monkey around.

Some just want a communications device and don't want to customize- iphone is for you

Some have a need to tailor the phone for their special needs and wants- get the android device ( over 60 different base units to select from for starters )

Probably need to find an unbiased opinion, unlike the one above. This is probably not the place to find it. Youtube has some great reviewers of all phones.

I don't disagree with Don, but think there are two other variables: 1) Do you like the iOS better than the Android OS; and 2) Does AT&T provide good 3G where you live, and if so, do you travel a lot.

If the answer to #2 is yes/no; then go try out devices at different stores and see what works best for you. There are many reviews out there; the iphone wins on some categories, Droid models win on others.

Have fun!

look at the features of both phones and see how they work for you. or if they work for you.

i will not give any examples as that will be looked on as a biased opinion

wth i changed my mind :)

droid gives lotsa places to get software

iphone gives you the apple store

I would prefer a droid over an iPhone if ATT had that option. Since I am with ATT, the iPhone is the best phone they have.

I do not use many apps, the restrictions on the iPhone have never bothered me. I figured I could always just jailbreak the phone if I had to have something not officially available. I almost think that Apple leaves jail breaking in just to have an outlet for those that want it - make it just hard enough to look like they are trying.

So, it really comes down to the features of the phone and which carrier you want. I do think you can go wrong with either choice. I chose the iPhone because I am not into so much with my phone. I like the interface and what it does from the factory with very few apps added on. If I was a mad phone freak that wanted to customize every aspect of the phone (like I have time for that) I probably would be on the edge of the droid fever.

1./ Do you want to use the phone or show it off? AT&T has a very weak network with dropped calls and horrible spotty 3g coverage

Since getting my iPhone 4 I have not had a single dropped call, which is something that would happen to me many times a day before. Thats an improvement.

The iPhone is a finely shined product and it does as it says. But the iPhone is limited to by what Apple says you can do with your phone, so you can hack you phone and jailbreak it to run other apps. But Jailbreaking is a cat and mouse game. For every new software update you need to wait for the next version of the jailbreak to come out. For me I don't mind any of this though, and over the years that I have had my iphone I have spent a lot of money on apps and music and videos from itunes. Moving away from an iphone would lead to a loss of all these things that I have purchased over the years. With that said the biggest problem with the iPhone is AT&T... Come on $20 a month just to turn on the tethering feature which is built into the phone?

The android platform gives people the freedom from APPLE and AT&T that they are craving and what it can do may take years before Apple and AT&T allow iPhone users to do. But with that said the Android platform is not polished like the iPhone platform is, in my hands and using an android device feels like using a suppar unfinished device. At times if felt like going from WIndows XP back to Windows 98. The android OS needs some serious polishing to make it look more professional. But for those who have one they love them and honestly the freedom is a great thing. Trust me I have thought a few times about switching because of AT&T but then something else sucked me back into the iPhone again.

I am not sure what "android" based OS you were observing. However calling it unfinished sounds like you have not actually had a real hands on with an android based phone.

Fanboys will never ask...why is my phone flawed from the beginning. well it is simple... Apple is full of greed. Apple thought they were being smart in bypassing Nokia patented cellphone antennae technology that they are currently being sued for so they "borrowed" someone else's technology. Guess what? Nokia patented this body antennae too. Nokia launched a model in 2002 using this design which experienced the same problems the new iphone is experiencing and learned from it. Apple in its stubborn refusal to pay Nokia royalties is f**king up badly! Plain and simple

I agree with sundrop. What is unpolished about Android 2.0 or higher? (I have no experience with Android 1.5 or 1.6). Uh... nothing. Smooth as a baby's bottom. I can tether via wi-fi or usb. I can see my calendar on the screen while I see FB posts, or see live weather maps, or a scroll of recent satguy posts via executive assistant.

Icons on the screen = icons on the screen. Android adds on-screen apps (widgets), live wallpapers, flash video in web pages, and more. Sling over 3G; Sirius Xm over 3G, all available. Indeed, I streamed Blue Collar Comedy for about 4 hours last Sunday driving from Memphis home, with no hiccups. And I could check email while listening.

I can also pull out the battery in a matter of seconds and swap it with a new one.

I upgraded my ipod touch to iOS4 yesterday to play with it; and yeah, the apps run smooth, but in general, there is much less customizability to the over-all device.

I think in the end it is entirely a matter of preference, but Android is in no-way inferior. I love my ipod classic for music; and the ipod touch I have is a nice device - for video at the gym it works great (I got it before I got the Droid); but I think the music software is better on the classic than the touch (more intuitive). I have played a few games (rock band), but I don't use these devices for gaming.

1./ Do you want to use the phone or show it off? AT&T has a very weak network with dropped calls and horrible spotty 3g coverage
Only if you are in an area with bad 3G coverage. That blanket statement is simply not true. In my area ATT has better coverage than Verizon.

Only if you are in an area with bad 3G coverage. That blanket statement is simply not true. In my area ATT has better coverage than Verizon.

Apples to Oranges
Verizon has a larger 3g coverage area than AT&T. AT&T does have the most dropped calls. Most of these reports are from MVNO's that rely on companies like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint to provide there customers coverage. Its the factual statement that USCellular provides more coverage to rural America than any of the large networks claim they do.

BTW DodgerKing with your "better coverage than Verizon"
Have you ever been to New York City or San Francisco?
It amazes me that a company as large as Ma bell is, how and why is there still coverage issues in these metro areas if they do indeed have the better service?

I live in Joplin Missouri where coverage "in city" is comparable. Both provide great coverage. However once you leave the inner city. You will find that AT&T has little to no coverage and no 3g coverage at all.

I also want to point out that in the day the Iphone launches on another network. I expect less than 1% will stay cause they claim AT&T has better coverage.

In 2500 miles of traveling this month, from Illinois to Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois, I had no service from Verizon twice - for 40 miles in some seriously remote parts of northwest Alabama, and surprisingly on I-55 in Arkansas, north of Memphis. Other than that I probably had 3G service 90% of the time, and 10% 1X. It was impressive. (But disconcerting for those 45 remote miles in Alabama :) ).

To be honest who cares about NY or San Fran if you never go there. ATT has the best coverage in my are and the fastest 3G speeds period. I actually miss being on ATT here as Sprint and Verizon just don't compare. Sprint and Verizon are tied with their reliability around these parts.

Bottom line is you chose the best provider for your area and the areas that you will normally travel to. Why pick a phone on areas you may never even travel to?

You should decide what you really want, tight control or freedom to monkey around.

Some just want a communications device and don't want to customize- iphone is for you

Some have a need to tailor the phone for their special needs and wants- get the android device ( over 60 different base units to select from for starters )

So... why is the Android bad for the first bullet point, with the luxury of your second bullet point as an option?

'60 different base units' in a thread about choosing between the Droid X and iPhone 4... um, ok.

To be honest who cares about NY or San Fran if you never go there. ATT has the best coverage in my are and the fastest 3G speeds period. I actually miss being on ATT here as Sprint and Verizon just don't compare. Sprint and Verizon are tied with their reliability around these parts.

Bottom line is you chose the best provider for your area and the areas that you will normally travel to. Why pick a phone on areas you may never even travel to?

Pretty much this.

All the mac guys at work are having fun walking around the office talking to each other using Facetime, but then have to avoid certain parts of the building to make calls or if they are on the phone due to the poor network, while I sit at my desk, and at home on the far southern end of the valley with a full 3G signal.

You need to pick what works, and then it's a decision from there about handset.

Apples to Oranges
Verizon has a larger 3g coverage area than AT&T. AT&T does have the most dropped calls. Most of these reports are from MVNO's that rely on companies like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint to provide there customers coverage. Its the factual statement that USCellular provides more coverage to rural America than any of the large networks claim they do.
So? I don't care about the rest of the country, I only care about the area in which I spend 90% of the time. So your statement about dropped calls and weak 3G coverage is not true for me and many others.
It amazes me that a company as large as Ma bell is, how and why is there still coverage issues in these metro areas if they do indeed have the better service?
Yeah, and? I don't live in SF or NY so why would I care about dropped calls on ATT in SF or NY? If I lived in those cities than I would probably have a different provider.
I live in Joplin Missouri where coverage "in city" is comparable. Both provide great coverage. However once you leave the inner city. You will find that AT&T has little to no coverage and no 3g coverage at all.
So that means that I get dropped calls and poor 3G coverage?
I also want to point out that in the day the Iphone launches on another network. I expect less than 1% will stay cause they claim AT&T has better coverage.
So? What does others leaving have anything to do with my coverage and what is best for me?

Besides, it will not be less than 1%. I would be willing to bet that over 50% will stay, as many of those 50% have decent to great coverage with ATT, or a plan that cannot be beat (such as what I have).

This is really becoming a religious discussion.

You'll probably be happy with whichever you get. Please just remember it's a phone, not a religion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts