New line under programming online account

Any more increases from Dish and I'm done. My local telco (TDS) is now offering an IPTV product delivered over DSL. Early adopters in the neighborhood are giving good reviews and they are offering an attractive bundle with internet service for $40/mo less than I am paying now for Dish and their TDS DSL service separately. Only drawback is the equipment which I am sure is inferior to the Hopper. First receiver free, no DVR fee and $8 for each additional tv. This is supposedly a whole home DVR service with wireless connectivity to all receivers. It is a Cisco system. Anyone have any experience with their equipment? Sounds like standard cable boxes to me. I have never had cable, so I have no idea.

DirecTV now charges for the first receiver. This might just be for comparison.
Is that for new customers? When does it start? My directv bill I got yesterday still says 0.00 for the first box. It also says save 7.00 on the first. They do hit me with a 10.00 dvr fee and a 10.00 HD fee. Maybe I'm grandfathered in for awhile since I'm a longtime cust.

It's on my bill so must be on everyones or will be. It looks to me to be just as the HD charge shows zero, for comparison to others that do charge. But I'm going to agree with you, I don't like the possible implications.... :)
Yep.......
The Hopper 3 crowd isn't going to be getting away with that small $15 fee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Many are on Price Lock plans.
If you read the fine print for price lock, it does not cover receiver lease fees.
This will let them raise rates next year. You watch. Sport programming will go up again, they will need to increase.

If you read the fine print for price lock, it does not cover receiver lease fees.
This will let them raise rates next year. You watch. Sport programming will go up again, they will need to increase.
Well its definitely a way to increase the price on the price lock crowd.
But as far as sports, Dish doesn't have enough Invested in sports to blame them for ever increasing rates.

If Dish wants to be right up there with directv, then they need to provide more then Just PAC12 to have a leg to stand on about out of control sports pricing.

When Dish has YES, MSG,SNY, NFL ST, MLB EI with Dual Live HD feeds, NHL center Ice with Dual Live feeds ,Full time HD RSNs plus the Multiple other Networks in HD they have. Then I'll listen to Dish about sports being a factor in rate increases.

Is that for new customers? When does it start? My directv bill I got yesterday still says 0.00 for the first box. It also says save 7.00 on the first. They do hit me with a 10.00 dvr fee and a 10.00 HD fee. Maybe I'm grandfathered in for awhile since I'm a longtime cust.

Yes, all new customers and I'm told they're phasing it in to existing customers over time. Thank you AT&T. ;)

Reactions: bobvick
This isn't a comparison of who has more sports. ESPN raising rates, the RSN's raising rates, Fox Sports etc etc don't count to the cost of DISH?

This isn't a comparison of who has more sports. ESPN raising rates, the RSN's raising rates, Fox Sports etc etc don't count to the cost of DISH?
Considering everyone has ESPN, no they don't count .
RSNS gimme a break. Dish has like hardly any, and none of them are in FULLTIME HD.
So they provide the least amout, bare minimum content, even the games are not always in HD even on the Part time HD channels.

They aren't paying NY sports, they aren't paying a Billion dollars to the NFL.
So no Dish shouldn't Blame increases on something they have little invested in compared to the competition that is only $13 a month more.

Dish is just trying to get its current customers to make up the losses it took in profits.
And they will use any excuse that doesn't blame channel disputes ,and lost channels and lost subscribers.
These examples look bad for stock holders.
Saying networks prices are out of control is safe way to show your losses.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
But, we can't just blame sports and ESPN all the time.
Dish is a Business too.
If ESPN says Hey I want $.50 per customer more, Dish is going to charge you way more then that $.50 increase.
Think about $5 a year, you really think Dish isn't going to take advantage of a price increase and not profit?
I bet the cost of the actual price increase was less the $2.50 per subsciber.
And that's a Kind estimate.

Now as far as the premium move channels, That's tough to say what happend.
Maybe dish got a better price since some premiums are already in Top 250, and they don't carry every channel in all their suites of premiums.
Could also just be a Price shuffle, Charge more for equipment and Basepackages, lower premiums, That's the best way to make sure everyone pays.

FYI, DirecTV did the same exact thing for years before they started charging a fee for the first receiver. They would charge you, then show a credit.

The reason why it shows $0 is because if they are planning on charging for the first receiver, they got to figure a way to load it into the billing system.

Probably to make the point that Dish does not charge for the first receiver, but all these companies reserve the right to add or change fees at some point, excluding explicit written guarantees in promotional pricing.

That is what I figured too. They don't charge the DVR fee with the price lock ,but the receiver fees are not included in lock, so look out when they suddenly start charging the first receiver fee to get around the dvr fee. Oh and they will now match what your class of receiver charges. Just think about all the receivers that are not dvrs. They could charge a 1st receiver fee on those and gain even more revenue . This is DISH we are talking about and they have never met a fee they haven't liked. Unfortunately these increasing DISH fees added to the increasing programming fees are why cord cutting is going on and sub churn is so great quarter after quarter.

Reactions: peggy97850
on radio news monday.

something new.

a package with no sports but some premium offerings

or a stripped down package with sports

think it was 30 bucks a month but not certain i was in heavy traffic...

The new 3 Year Price Guarantee does not include the DVR fee.
I know I said that in my post above. But it never said they wouldn't charge for equipment fees. So they suddenly start to charge a 1st receiver fee on all accounts instead of dvr fee and they have technically have stayed within the contract. You have to pay more ,but you are in a three year commitment. DISH still comes out ahead of the game and you had to pay the dvr fee now called the first receiver fee. A little bait and switch.

I know I said that in my post above. But it never said they wouldn't charge for equipment fees. So they suddenly start to charge a 1st receiver fee on all accounts instead of dvr fee and they have technically have stayed within the contract. You have to pay more ,but you are in a three year commitment. DISH still comes out ahead of the game and you had to pay the dvr fee now called the first receiver fee. A little bait and switch.
It is a 3 year price lock, but only a 2 year commitment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: JSheridan

The 3 Year Price Guarantee DOES NOT include DVR. If you want DVR with the 3 Year Price Guarantee you pay extra for it. Just wanted to be clear. :)

Also, I extremely doubt DISH will start charging a first receiver fee anytime soon. In fact they have been advertising that they have NO first receiver fee.

Reactions: bobvick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)