My Dad had no luck with dish loyalty

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
So my dad has the top 250 and a hopper and two joeys , there was a price increase and his bill is $118 a month. He's out of contract and has been for over 2 years now. They've given him one discount of $10 off for 6 months. He's never late on paying. He didn't ask for an upgrade in equipment but asked what they could do. They offered : $10 for 10 months or $25 off for 6 months. He asked if he could get down to $64.00 without changing packages but they said the only way they could do that is if he dropped down to the 120 plus but he loses a ton of channels he watches.

Even with getting rid of a Joey, and getting the $25 discount it comes to $86 before taxes. Should he even bother calling in and asking for a bigger discount ?

Why should he get a discount? Retail prices are set so a corporation can make money, if the price is too high he can change providers or equipment. They have already offered him discounts.

Reactions: mdram and bspei
I wouldn't call $25 off for 6 months nothing. I saw a Charter add for my area advertising basically AEP with the same number of TV's that I have for $150 (with fees) for two years, I usually pay Dish about $186 per month. I called Dish and told them about the ad, was sent to retention and politely asked if there was any way that they could come close to matching that price, they offered $20 off per month for 6 months and free Cinemax and Starz for 3 months. He told me to call back after the three months and see if they had any more offers, and then after the 6 month discount was out as well.

Why should he get a discount? Retail prices are set so a corporation can make money, if the price is too high he can change providers or equipment. They have already offered him discounts.
Do you pay sticker price when you buy a car too?

Reactions: MikeD-C05
If some of you want to pay full price for what you buy and what you pay for, more power to you. I have never seen any problem with asking if any retailer can offer a better price for anything, all they can do is tell you no. No sense in criticizing folks who ask for and receive discounts just because you don't, or don't want to.

I don't see any problem at all to get a discount when available. All pay tv providers offer some type of loyalty program. Just because you pay full price doesn't make you a better or more loyal customer. If a discount is offered than why not take it ? Do you go to a store and tell them you would prefer to pay full price on the product even if it's on sale . Dish is still making money on the customer or they would not do it . It is called the cost of doing business and I think it's a wise choice. Charlie is still making plenty of money .

In their 10K they mention that they budget for subscriber retention costs along with subscriber acquisition costs, so these costs are already built in. They know what they can offer for each account based on a number of different metrics.

So my dad has the top 250 and a hopper and two joeys , there was a price increase and his bill is $118 a month. He asked if he could get down to $64.00 without changing packages

The Top 250 is $90 alone. Trying to get that with a Hopper and two Joeys for $64 would be a reach. Maybe call back and try a number more realistic.

Reactions: peggy97850
I would take the $25.00 off for 6 months and ask if I could call back at the end and ask for more credits off. When I did this in the past they said sure. I did call back and they offered me more + premium freebies. It never , ever , hurts to ask for credits and freebies. You are the customer and without you they would have no business. Right now the leverage is on the customer's side since DISH is continuing to lose subs quarter after quarter. I am going to see if I can get the 2 - 3 year price lock deal come May when my $65.00 off credits for a year end. If I could get the price lock and no dvr fee , I would be happy. I might upgrade to Hopper 3 too . But it depends on how much they want to keep me after 19 years.

If some of you want to pay full price for what you buy and what you pay for, more power to you. I have never seen any problem with asking if any retailer can offer a better price for anything, all they can do is tell you no. No sense in criticizing folks who ask for and receive discounts just because you don't, or don't want to.

Especially with pay tv providers. That's their business model, take advantage of it.
I happen to think the Father is being unrealistic however to think you are going to get the Top 250, just drop one Joey and pay $64 a month. I didn't see how long he has been a customer. At that point look around and see who is offering that amount of channels with whole home equipment and check their prices.

Especially with pay tv providers. That's their business model, take advantage of it.
I happen to think the Father is being unrealistic however to think you are going to get the Top 250, just drop one Joey and pay $64 a month. I didn't see how long he has been a customer. At that point look around and see who is offering that amount of channels with whole home equipment and check their prices.
I do it with CenturyLink too. If I didn't get their discounts, the price they charge for voice and 4.0Mbps DSL would be outrageous.

I do it with CenturyLink too. If I didn't get their discounts, the price they charge for voice and 4.0Mbps DSL would be outrageous.
Same here with Time Warner Internet. I have gotten the same $25.00 deal + $10.00 turbo boost for years now. I could even lower my bill by $8.00 more if I would buy my own modem. I just hate to deal with it if it fails, because TWC won't help you since you own it.

Reactions: Tampa8 and bobvick
You can always try BillFixers. I'm NOT saying that it will work for you, that you'll be successful, but if you want to give your details to a third party to include ALL of your Dish info AND credit card info to a third party called BillFixers for them to "negotiate" a lower bill for you.............*

* Of course I'm being sarcastic.

So my dad has the top 250 and a hopper and two joeys , there was a price increase and his bill is $118 a month. He's out of contract and has been for over 2 years now. They've given him one discount of $10 off for 6 months. He's never late on paying. He didn't ask for an upgrade in equipment but asked what they could do. They offered : $10 for 10 months or $25 off for 6 months. He asked if he could get down to $64.00 without changing packages but they said the only way they could do that is if he dropped down to the 120 plus but he loses a ton of channels he watches.

Even with getting rid of a Joey, and getting the $25 discount it comes to $86 before taxes. Should he even bother calling in and asking for a bigger discount ?
Notwithstanding the fact that yes, many people do call into Dish to drop channels or cancel their service and to combat that, Dish will offer options for encourage customers to not drop channels or to keep the service, I must ask.. What makes you think anyone should get what amounts to a 45% discount off their regular rate?
No disrespect intended here, but your father's request seems unreasonable.

Your father must have some problems with DISH. When I called to cancel my Welcome pack today I was offered $10 off for 20 months and all I wanted to do was cancel

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)