New mapping service call today!

Kentstater72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
North of Toledo
The guy that installed my voom system last week and took off before we saw that it was mapped for the wrong MSA (Detroit, not Toledo) is comming back to set it up right. I am afraid I do not know enough to make sure he isn't gong to waste a trip and tell me it can't be done today.
What should he be doing? What will he need to bring in the way of hardware, and will he need to contact boom for software updates?
The guy seemed inexperienced, and is a little aprehensive of me since he put his foot thru my ceiling (I fixed it, but was a little short with him).

If it is just a mapping change from Detroit to Toledo there isn't anything the installer needs to do unless the antenna is pointed at Detroit and needs turned toward Toledo.

Has the map changed to Toledo on your guide or is it still Detroit?

I've been waiting two weeks to have my map changed from Wheeling/Steubenville to Pittsburgh. Yesterday I threatend FCC action and quoted FCC Rules regarding TV Tuners and VOOM "escalated" the change, but the correct channels still aren't there.

They are telling me it is a hardware switch? I do not understand what there is in the anttena that makes it map Detroit. The antenna is facing Toledo, the installer pointed the antenna "the same way your neihbors are facing"

kentstater72,

I put your request to change your mapping from Detroit to Toledo. I have to agree with bryan27. Unless those channels appear in the guide, moving the antenna will not do anything. There is nothing in the antenna that will make pull the Toledo local channel unless they are already in your PG. Sorry but that's the way it works.

Sean
Thats my point, i think this service call is a waste of time, but the voom csr is the one that told me the problem was on the roof.

Kentstater72 said:
Sean
Thats my point, i think this service call is a waste of time, but the voom csr is the one that told me the problem was on the roof.

Let them come but I would not put my expectations too high...

Kentstater,

Good News. Have the installer point your antenna towards Toledo. The mapping change will occur today so hopefully you will have the locals on your PG by tomorrow.

Sean
Installer shows up, calls voom, verifies what you already took care of (Thanks again)
Easiest service call he will ever have. The antenna was already pointed to Toledo

Kentstater72 said:
Sean
Installer shows up, calls voom, verifies what you already took care of (Thanks again)
Easiest service call he will ever have. The antenna was already pointed to Toledo

Let me know whether you can see your locals tomorrow. Thanks.

It's tomorrow and no Toledo locals!
Yesterday the service guy called voom, said give it 15 hours, got up this am, still mapped to Detroit.
I called voom this am, Tracy said she would put in a expedited order to remap.
We will see.
I am trying to be patient, and I like what I see of voom.

A suggestion and a question Sean,
Question: when I look at the status the off air pq is 20, but the power is a flat 0 will the power change with remapping?

Suggestion: It would be nice if cs had some consistency, so we could have one rep we felt comfortable dealing with and would be in charge of following up a situation. I know in this day and age it doesn't happen, but what a customer retention tool it could be.

Thanks,
Kentstater

Kentstater72 said:
It's tomorrow and no Toledo locals!

Welcome to the Land of Morning Dissapointments :)

I called voom this am, Tracy said she would put in a expedited order to remap.

Yep, told me the same thing two days ago. I wonder if they just say that to shut the customer up for a couple days.

Question: when I look at the status the off air pq is 20, but the power is a flat 0 will the power change with remapping?

Yes it will. Occasionally I will receive a signal on one of the stations in my guide and the OTA Power/SNR will show something other than 0. The station is rather worthless though since they don't transmit sound!!!

Unless they have sent it the guide isn't going to change. I've tried Soft Reboots, Hard Reboots, Pulling Card, and Factory Resets. So no change in data here. The Factory Reset wipes out everything, all channels and your authorization. So you have to wait until your authorization and the channel maps are loaded from the sat. It takes about 10-20 minutes. I don't suggest a Factory Reset unless you are very patient and there isn't anything on you want to watch.

Do the following in order. I got confirmation that it was re-done.

1- If you are home now, reboot first by holding the power button. All your locals for Toledo should appear after PG downloads.

2- If 1 does not work, unplug/plug stb and wait again for locals to download and PG.

3- if 1 and 2 do not work, give CSR a call and have them hit your receiver to see if locals for Toledo will appear.

4- if 1, 2, 3 do not work, let me know and I would ask for other suggestions.

P.S. I am heading out and I should be back within an hour. Let me know by posting here.

I know I sound like a broken record at times, but is there any news when my channel map is going to change to Pittsburgh? This is getting really agravating and I'm trying very hard to remain calm and not explode.

bryan27 said:
I know I sound like a broken record at times, but is there any news when my channel map is going to change to Pittsburgh? This is getting really agravating and I'm trying very hard to remain calm and not explode.

bryan,

I know you said earlier that you had sent me your request. Can you email me once more with your full address and how you want to change your mapping. I want to find out what's holding this off. Thanks.

"The Day after Yesterday" the sequel

OK i got mapped for Toledo. (thanks again Sean)
0 power, 12 signal strength(12 miles from the tower)
I have looked at your list of things to check, and will be going over them this weekend, but first a stupid question. How do i determine the front or pointing edge of the voom antenna, the installer has pointed it three different ways and i do not know where its pointed now.

In further digging I am wondering if the installer missed somthing when he ran the cables w/o the diplexer(he never heard of doing this). I have read that there is something that needs to be added if there is no diplexer.
Kentstater

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts