New member 722 questions

anchovie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2009
socal
Just registered to forum. Find it one of my daily educational forums. If you prefer to reply to my questions would appreciate it. If you prefer to direct me to a titled forum search topic, would also follow your directions.
Background: have a 722 on TV 1. Want to add a second 722 on TV 2. Found out via Dish quote that there is a charge of $75.00 to install. That quote is from a phone call with Loyalty Dept. Their chat session quoted a lower amount, so know they are inconsistent in prices.
I asked if there is a way to have the two boxes communicate, like, watch a recording on TV 2 while looking at TV 1 and vice versa. They said there is no feature to offer that. In essence, two boxes, two different rooms, two different hard drives, but no way to marry the two.
If you have suggestions beyond this, have experience with this consumer questions, or a different way to achieve the same results, please share.
Thanks for helping me learn.

They say they are working on getting the two different receivers to share common recordings. The 922 is rumored to be a candidate for such.

Background: have a 722 on TV 1. Want to add a second 722 on TV 2.
What's your goal?

If it is just having a 722 on TV2, you can already do that. If it is just having HD on TV2, you can already do that with the other HD output (but you have to watch the same thing on both TV1 HD and TV2 HD.

We need more info to help you better.

Thanks bebop for the info. Specifically, have the 722 in dual mode fitted TV 1 HDMI. Want TV 2 to also have HD, not just SD. Currently the receiver feeds SD signal to TV 2. Originally thought quickest access would be to have two 722, but extra hard drive space is not priority. What is important is to watch HD content on TV 2. Would there be a splitter to channel the TV HD signal on to TV 2? Want to stay in dual mode.
Thanks.

The only way to get HD to TV2 is to run Componet cables from the receiver to your TV2. This will give you an HD picture on it but you will be watching the same show thats on TV1. This is the same way I have mine set up at home so I can watch HD in the bedroom.

Most people do not do this because it can be costly. If TV2 is more than 20 feet away from the receiver getting a Component cable that long will be a little expensive.

Thanks Scherrman,
Did not know about this component feature. The two sets are within 4'. However, it is really a super feature to have independent viewing features. So, in summary sounds like there are two choices: one: install a separate 722 for TV 2 and have full independence. two: run the component as suggested, but then have two TV, one program limitations. Correct?
Thanks.

Do you have to have another 722 receiver? There are other HD receivers that would work (612, 211k ,222...) Another 722 seems like overkill unless you need another SD feed.

Thanks j25a,
Now only have the 722, but the alternatives suggested sound interesting. If one of these is used, would TV 2 viewer still have access to the 722 to record? If so, TV 2 viewer would still need to view timer on TV 1. That would be disadvantage to the suggested ones, correct?

Edit j25a,
Would your suggested alternative receivers still require 24 month contract? Dish has said that the 722 upgrade on TV 2 would require it. Currently month to month now.

Edit j25a,
Would your suggested alternative receivers still require 24 month contract? Dish has said that the 722 upgrade on TV 2 would require it. Currently month to month now.

Any additional receiver you get from Dish will probably require a new 24 month contract. You could purchase a receiver from one of the sponsors above and then I don't think you would need a new contract.

As stated previously, Dish does not currently have ability that allows two different receivers to communicate with each other.

As far as the TV2 output of the 722: Multiple TVs can be connected to this and watch any recorded material on hard drive and see/schedule recordings.

I am by no means an authority on any of this, just relaying things I have learned.

Any TVs hooked up to the one 722 will have acces to that DVR. You could have 100 TVs hooked up to TV1 or TV2 and they can all have access to the DVR. You need to remember that any duplicate TVs hooked up to one side have to watch the same thing. You are limited to being able to watching 2 different programs at once. If you wish to watch a 3rd program at the same time you would need to upgrade or purchase another receiver. Depending on how many other TVs you want hooked up would depend on the receiver you want. If you just have one other HDTV and want a DVR on it, I would get a 612. Don't forget that and extra HD receiver will cost you a monthly lease fee of $7.

Thanks Sherrman and j25a for the ideas,
Sherrman, I knew about the $7.00 lease fee. Would the fee assessment be applicable if a 612 is purchased? Would like to avoid the 24 month contract enforcement. The 612 looks good as it offers independence, but looks like Dish may say an extended contract is required. Thanks for continuing to give me ideas.

Whether you lease it from Dish and sign a contract or purchase one out right you will have to pay the $7 extra receiver fee. I forgot to mention that there will also be a extra DVR fee of $5.98.

Thanks Sherrman,
Thanks for the fee info. If receiver is purchased, would there still be required 24 month contract? I know there is for the leased version using DishinUp.

Just registered to forum. Find it one of my daily educational forums. If you prefer to reply to my questions would appreciate it. If you prefer to direct me to a titled forum search topic, would also follow your directions.
Background: have a 722 on TV 1. Want to add a second 722 on TV 2. Found out via Dish quote that there is a charge of $75.00 to install. That quote is from a phone call with Loyalty Dept. Their chat session quoted a lower amount, so know they are inconsistent in prices.
I asked if there is a way to have the two boxes communicate, like, watch a recording on TV 2 while looking at TV 1 and vice versa. They said there is no feature to offer that. In essence, two boxes, two different rooms, two different hard drives, but no way to marry the two.
If you have suggestions beyond this, have experience with this consumer questions, or a different way to achieve the same results, please share.
Thanks for helping me learn.

You can move recordings from one 722 to another with an external hard drive. You
would have to enable the external hard drive feature for a one time $39.99 fee. After
that you can transfer a recording from one 722 to the hard drive and then from the
hard drive to the other 722 (or 622s).

Mark

What's your goal?
Hey, that's my line!

In general it is a lot easier for the questioner to ask for specifically what they want to end up with rather than to poke around guessing how they might accomplish it. The guessing route is just too well suited to hiding important details that often turn out to be deal breakers.

If you purchase a receiver from somewhere there would be no contract extension. Just call Dish and activate it.
This assumes that you don't need any extra equipment to support the additional receiver.

The last question like this that came up (actually, it may have been the n-1 thread on this same question), it turned out that the poster had another receiver that they weren't thinking about and adding another was going to require a switch and some extra wiring down from the dish(es).

This is another reason that I advocate telling us what you have and what your specific goals are as opposed to fishing around for bits and pieces of solutions that may not apply.

harshness,
Thanks for the insight. Staying goal centered sure helped me today with these questions. Go Coos Bay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)