New Member! Here's my Setup - From Angola, Indiana

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KC9TIK

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Angola, IN
I think it has been about three years since I got interested in FTA, but my hobby went completely nuts within the last two months. It first started with my purchase of a well-used SuperDISH with a Coolsat 6000 some time later. I had a problem though, I could never find a signal. So then I sort of let the hobby go away. Then, about a year ago, I asked around about people's unused C-Band. First request to buy one was a success, and they didn't want any money for it. It's a 10 foot Unimesh. (I later gave them a gift certificate to a local restaurant) It wasn't until this past spring that I removed the pole from the ground. The trick: concrete drill and Dexpan. Two days after I drilled the holes, the pole was a piece of cake to remove. Sometime during this, I got a cheapie signal meter - that reduced pointing time from hours to minutes! The SuperDISH and the Coolsat never have had a signal, until I used the meter; then a blind scan finds all of the channels. I had the SuperDISH pointed for its intended purpose, but the Dish receiver I was using said "not connected" to the switch, even though I could watch 1 or 2 channels from the sat. It wasn't until the next morning where the check switch said "feed" like it was supposed to. That taught me a lot before using it on 97°. I found it easily. My location: trees, trees, and more trees! Most taller than 100 feet, so what I do before an "official" installation, I move the dish around on a temporary base until I know I have a signal. I dug a temporary hole for the C-band - that was fun! I have a small viewing window of almost everything between 60 and 120 degrees. Right now, my C-band is permanently installed as of several weeks ago. I have 2 B1SAT LNBF's on it, one for 91 and the other for 99. It will eventually be 87 and 91 as I will put 99, 101, 103, and 105 on another dish due to the sky viewing angles. The SuperDISH is pointed to 97, but once I get a better feedhorn, I will move it up to the C-band dish. If my information is correct, it is Ku compatible. The SuperDISH lnb's are so old, I have to compensate for frequency drift when setting up for 97. The LO's are 10.743GHz and 13.838GHz. All of my FTA satellite dishes are being used with a DP34 switch so that I can watch any satellite on any tuner at anytime without interference. I also have the TBS 6981 in my computer, however, I think I blew tuner #1. I'm using DVBDream as I can't get anything else to work. (And when it comes to the codecs used, Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM is useless.) Anyway, I think I have this whole FTA thing figured out and look forward to getting C-band dish #2.

I like band stacked, (but I don't want to explain it to a newbie). :)
And I really like the indestructible DP34 switches!
Throw 'em off a 2-story building; drive over with your car - nothing gets 'em down. ;)

Have you considered adding a second '34 for three more LNBFs?
Just select either DP34 with an ecoda 22khz switch.
(one switch per receiver, of course, up to four).

Edit: I'm reading this on my phone, so please use the default font

It took be a while to figure out what you meant by putting your SuperDish LNB on your BUD.
Look up the Invacom AF-120 feedhorn.
That'll bolt right on and have the proper F/D for your BUD.

However, I might get a real 36" dish and a Stab HH90 motor.
If interested, I'll point ya to a cheap feedhorn solution for it .

Last edited:
Welcome. Angola's a GREAT town. Nice people, nice county.
Thank you! I'm actually near Jimmerson and Crooked lakes.

Have you considered adding a second '34 for three more LNBFs?
Just select either DP34 with an ecoda 22khz switch.
(one switch per receiver, of course, up to four).
I'll have to add a second or third because I don't want any rotator. A Diseqc 2.1 compatible switch would be my first choice (hard to find), but 1.1 wouldn't be too bad, so that I would have future expansion to 16 sats.

Welcome to the site!!

You da man Dan! (sorry I couldntt resist :hula:)

BTW, some pictures would be apprciated if you have a moment..

Cheers and welcome!
K

HPIM0210.JPG
HPIM0211.JPG

Hey this guy has been reading, that don't look like newbie stuff to me.
Welcome! Must be a nice cable run, if that's your house inthe background. And yes, you are totally devoured by trees.

I have a fiberglass superdish willing to trade for a international directv dish if you need another metal one have one of those too. Have a stockpile of dishes.

dan rose

Must be a nice cable run, if that's your house inthe background.
Not quite. The picture is being taken out the window. I don't have the cable buried yet, so you can still see that among the leaves.

Gotcha. I was just thinking about what fun I'd have with the chain saw, provided the trees were on my property! Peeking through trees makes me weary.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts