New Member with a question...

jprzybyla

Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
I live in Polk County in north Lakeland. Beginning Monday this week my cable tv reception has been very diruptive. Sometimes on a viewed channel there is pixelation and detiorating audio quality and several channels that I used to recieve well are blank when selected. I had a service tech at the house on Thursday and he said the signal strength coming into the house from the box near the street was weak. He said he could not correct that problem and another tech would have to. Does anybody have any ideas or solutions to my reception problems?

well... what could be wrong is there's a poor digital signal coming off the tap (green box) which usually requires a maintenance to come out and fix it... he could have stuck in a house amp which would raise your signal, but the problem with that is when the low signal problem gets fixed you'll have too much signal.

I'd give it till about Tuesday and if you're still having problems... call in again

Thanks casper....

From what I was told Brighthouse in Polk County went to all digital on Monday, that sure messed me up. The 5 years I had Time Warner then Brighthouse the reception was great...no complaints.

When the support tech came to the house on Thursday the signal strength flucuated from -8dbs to -20dbs. He said it should be higher and even after bypassing my underground connection with a direct line to the house from the street box it did not improve. Tuesday someone is coming to check the box at the road...will have to wait till then.

Don't wait any longer. You have already had to deal with a problem for almost a full week. You have been very patient. Thats more than most do.

Call your local number and request a technician to come out and repair your lines. For a tech to say that he cannot fix the problem is technician trying not to do his job.

At the very least, he could have replaced your incoming line. If it's an aerial line, alot of times that will solve the problem if you haven't had that replaced in awhile.

They do Sunday service calls, although, they may be completely booked by now. You should be able to get one out there on Monday though. Good luck and keep us informed!

Thanks Khandurian...in fairness to the support tech he did try. He tried a new line bypassing the old underground line but that did now improve the signal strength and he also installed new splitters in the attic. Tomorrow I have someone coming to swap out the cable box and on Tuesday I have an appointment for someone to look at the main lines.

yea...i'm perty sure it's the main lines (feeder) and there's nothing most service techs can usually do... It's usually either damaged some where or the equipment needs to be setup up (which usually requires a maintenance tech or even a sweep tech)

I remember when we switched over about a year ago and it was crazy for about 2 weeks and then really calmed down... usually alot of problems are found

Ya thats always a big problem in an area that upgrades to digital simulcasting... Analog signal isnt to picky.. It can work even with bad lines fairly well.. Digital on the ohterhand is very picky.. So now you notice if you have any line problems that you didnt notice before.

Ya, I remember when we switched. We had more jobs to rewire houses than we could keep up with.

Alot of the people refused to believe it was their wiring in the house was not adequate. Which was simple to show it had to be done by running a line from the pole directly to the tv and showed that the problems were no longer there.

Our contractors were extremely happy for awhile! Sadly, there are times when the main trunk lines cause the problems as well. A port went bad, the amp fluctuating, squirrel chewed through the trunk line, etc. etc.

Hopefully they can get you things straightened out quickly

I live in Polk County in north Lakeland. Beginning Monday this week my cable tv reception has been very diruptive. Sometimes on a viewed channel there is pixelation and detiorating audio quality and several channels that I used to recieve well are blank when selected. I had a service tech at the house on Thursday and he said the signal strength coming into the house from the box near the street was weak. He said he could not correct that problem and another tech would have to. Does anybody have any ideas or solutions to my reception problems?

He needs a line tech to balance the active....which is why he can't do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)