New member with ?'s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ltngrod

Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Hi all,

I have a question about taking it on the road. I currently live in central P.A. and work in south west V.A. and have d* TC packages in both locations. In P.A. I have two receivers and there are two separate round dishs on the roof I am assuming one is for local channels :confused: , In V.A I have one oval dish with three lnbs on it and one receiver. Since I spend most of my time in P.A. only about 10 days a month in V.A. I would like to drop my service in V.A. and just carry one of my receivers back and forth with me. Some might consider this wrong but I don't see it any different than going camping and taking your dish with you, if I am off base "please disregard and delete this post".
My ? is, would it be possible to hook up another dish in V.A. and be able to pick up my local P.A. channels and exactly what would I need to do this and how would it have to be connected. I have searched the forums but couldn't find the answer to this.

Any help on this would be much APPRECIATED
TIA
Rodney

ltngrod said:
Hi all,

I have a question about taking it on the road. I currently live in central P.A. and work in south west V.A. and have d* TC packages in both locations. In P.A. I have two receivers and there are two separate round dishs on the roof I am assuming one is for local channels :confused: , In V.A I have one oval dish with three lnbs on it and one receiver. Since I spend most of my time in P.A. only about 10 days a month in V.A. I would like to drop my service in V.A. and just carry one of my receivers back and forth with me. Some might consider this wrong but I don't see it any different than going camping and taking your dish with you, if I am off base "please disregard and delete this post".
My ? is, would it be possible to hook up another dish in V.A. and be able to pick up my local P.A. channels and exactly what would I need to do this and how would it have to be connected. I have searched the forums but couldn't find the answer to this.

Any help on this would be much APPRECIATED
TIA
Rodney

Do you have 2 seperate accounts ?
If so, you could tell them you want to drop the VA service and add a receiver in PA, this way it only cost you $ 5 p/m and take the receiver with you.
You are not close enough to get the same locals in both locations are you ?
If so throw up a second dish, as long as the locals are active in PA, If you are not close enough, you will get your TC package but lose your locals, try using a antenna in VA for locals.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Do you have 2 seperate accounts ?
If so, you could tell them you want to drop the VA service and add a receiver in PA, this way it only cost you $ 5 p/m and take the receiver with you.
You are not close enough to get the same locals in both locations are you ?
If so throw up a second dish, as long as the locals are active in PA, If you are not close enough, you will get your TC package but lose your locals, try using a antenna in VA for locals.

Jimbo
Yes I do have two separate accounts and my plan was to drop the VA service to save a few dollars, I already have the 2nd receiver that I pay for in PA that I can cart back and forth with me. My ? is the local channels I dont know if I am close enough or not "360 miles":confused: how can I tell with out purchasing another dish and trying to point it. I could care less about the TC channels I just want to be able to pick up cbs,nbc,abc,fox. If they are my local PA channels or not makes no difference to me. I am just guessing thats the way the smart card is programed and thats the way it had to be but I am new to this so I'm not really sure
Thanks for the reply and hope to get this figured out
only got about two months left on my VA contract

Thanks again
Rodney

you should be able to pick up local and digital channels off of one dish. dont call directv and tell them you want to bring a receiver back and forth. this is considered signal piracy and would be considered illegal. my advice is just cancel the one account and bring the reciever back and forth yourself.

ltngrod said:
Hi all,

I have a question about taking it on the road. I currently live in central P.A. and work in south west V.A. and have d* TC packages in both locations. In P.A. I have two receivers and there are two separate round dishs on the roof I am assuming one is for local channels
Correct. With two dishes on your house in PA, you're getting your locals from the 72.5 satellite.
ltngrod said:
In V.A I have one oval dish with three lnbs on it and one receiver.
Then you get your VA locals from the 119 satellite.
ltngrod said:
would it be possible to hook up another dish in V.A. and be able to pick up my local P.A. channels...
It would depend on the size of the spot beam that services your PA locals.
ltngrod said:
exactly what would I need to do this and how would it have to be connected. I have searched the forums but couldn't find the answer to this.
Look in the FAQs under "D* 72.5 Installation Guide". However, I question the legality of this, though you've probably seen by now it hasn't stopped some people from doing similar things.

72.5 is not a spot beam - those are CONUS tranponders.

Should be able to pick up 72.5 locals anywhere in US with a good look angle.

I just checked my receiver here in PA and all but one local channel are on 72.5 the lone channel that is not is on 101. I will have to check VA when I get there later this evening

I question the legality of this, though you've probably seen by now it hasn't stopped some people from doing similar things
As you can see from my original post I don't see any problem with this but I knew others would thats why I left a note for the mods to delete if this thread crossed any lines, Again I don't see any difference to what I am trying to acomplish here then some one taking a dish and receiver camping or to the game which D* promotes as one of the benefits of there service not to mention D* themselves are the ones that gave me the idea to do this when I was inquiring about their service then when I made my decision to go with them the CSR told me it was not possible but I already had my house in PA switched over so I just ended up getting another account in VA
72.5 is not a spot beam - those are CONUS tranponders.

Should be able to pick up 72.5 locals anywhere in US with a good look angle.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear:)
I have a great view of the southern sky and with some of the online calculators i've have gotten the angles I need so this might be worth a try

Any other thoughts on this?
Thanks again
Rodney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts