New Multiswitch Needed for Port Capacity?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MarkDe

Nov 20, 2008
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I was hoping someone might give me some advice. Here is my dilema.

I have an older Directv 18" round dish with dual LNB's. I also have 3 receivers, one of which is a Tivo DVR. They all connect to a 2x4 port RCA powered multiswitch and have been working happily for 3 years now. I recently purchased an additional Directv DVR (the non-HD flavor) and will require 2
additional ports. To gain more ports, I purchased an EAGLE 3x8 non-powered multiswitch.

When I connected my receivers to the new multiswitch, I began to experience problems. The Tivo DVR suddenly began to report (searching for signal on satellite 1) and the new DVR didnt even get a signal (and I couldnt set it up correctly). Just saw a grey screen. I ran the diags on the new DVR and saw a signal strength of 92-94. This is pretty decent from experience. BUt, when I saw the transponder signals, quite a few were 0 (zero's). Some were fine at.near 90-92. This isnt normal correct? When I unplugged the EAGLE unit and reconnected everything to the old switch, it all came back OK. Problem is, I am still short 2 ports... :(

At this point, I could use some advice. Do I purchase a new "powered" 3x8 multiswitch? I am assuming my cable distance is at/near 100' or I just have a bad multiswitch. If I need to purchase I was hoping for a recommendation that wouldnt break the bank (a mid-grade unit). Thanks in advance for the help all!!!

Mark

MarkDe

Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for the quick response!!! :) The one I purchased is very very similar. It is the Eagle Aspen S-2180-CE+ model. It isnt oval, it's square. By the looks of your photo, the only difference would be that mine does not have a space for the optional power supply (20volt). Is it possible that I would just need the optional power???? Maybe the distance/loss is too great for the non-powered one to work properly?

I am just curious as to how you came to the conclusion that mine might be defective (signal strength or transponder values?). Just trying to learn from this experience.

I will order the Oval one with the optional power assuming there is a chance it will fix it.

....again Thanks!!!

Baldone

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2005
Bremerton, WA
I only assumed the possibility that it could be defective because the referenced website listed it as D* approved. Unfortunately, I know very little about the powered vs. non-powered difference in effectiveness or functionality. I have 8 runs ranging from 20 ft to approx. 85 ft & have had no problems w/the zimwell wb68 that is non-powered (provided & installed free by D*). Sorry I can't be of more help.

BTW, the wb68 can be had online for about $40.

Just found this info about the eagle: https://www.satpro.tv/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=279. It reads; "This unit can also use an optional power supply, sold separately. A power supply is recommended if you are running a TV antenna into the multi-switch or your overall cable run to each receiver is over 75ft." Are any of your runs longer than that?

MarkDe

Nov 20, 2008
Hey, thanks again for the reply. I would say that at least 1 or 2 of the runs are pretty near that magic 75' distance. Sadly, I didnt purchase the powered unit and will likely return this one in favor of a different powered one. I think I should also check the RG6 cables that I have.

One more question.... Is there an easy (pronounced cheap) :) way to check these cables and connections to insure I didnt mess them up somehow? In the past I have cut them to fit the distance to the receiver + or - a few feet. I have used the twist on RG6 connectors but I also have some "push on" connectors too....

Bob Nielsen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 22, 2006
Bainbridge Island, WA
At longer distances it becomes more important to use RG6 cable with a solid copper center conductor (in place of copper-coated steel), especially with a non-powered multiswitch. A Sonora Power Locker can make up for the switch being unpowered.

MarkDe

Nov 20, 2008
Just wanted to provide an update on the solution. I purchased a Steren 3 X 8 POWERED Multi-Switch. This switch definately seems more "beefy" than the Eagle unit. Maybe it is due to the power capability, I dont know. Anyway, I decided to put the new switch in "as is" with all the same cables as before. Well, it worked flawlessly. I checked all of the signals and they now showed 95-100 on the transponders. No more searching for signal on any of the Tivo or R22 DVR's.

At least I know I made the cables correctly and the whole thing works as planned. Thanks to all that responded. I really appreciate it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)