New Oppo

dougy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I hope I'm not repeating someones post! I just received the invitation to purchase the new Oppo blu ray player. Should I pull the trigger on the new player or should I wait to hear if there are more problems with the player before buying it? Does anyone on here own one?

I got mine in Feb. and love it.
Past history shows that Oppo will enhance their players and so far they are upgrading the firmware to correct problems about monthly.
DVD-A still needs work.
Personally I've had no serious problems with it and the problems I did have were fixed with the firmware update.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287
Shows some of the problems and what the updates fixed

Last edited:
I'd say hold off, so they'll ship mine sooner. ;)

I got the invite (you know it expires today, 5/2, right?). And I immediately bought it, since it now supports DVD-A as well as SACD. Now I can have one box play every optical format I have, except maybe for -RAM.

Sadly, my ship date is "May 5 - 21." Toward the end of that period, the address where I had it shipped to will be shut down, as we are moving (business location- signature required).

You'll be extremely happy with it.
The Black Knight and Celine Dion in Vegas are really great looking on it.
The upconversion of SD DVD's is exceptional.
I'm no perfectionist, but everything looks and sounds great to me.

I'd say hold off, so they'll ship mine sooner. ;)

I got the invite (you know it expires today, 5/2, right?). And I immediately bought it, since it now supports DVD-A as well as SACD. Now I can have one box play every optical format I have, except maybe for -RAM.

Sadly, my ship date is "May 5 - 21." Toward the end of that period, the address where I had it shipped to will be shut down, as we are moving (business location- signature required).
In the e-mail I received, it expires May 5th.
I'll sleep on it but I think I already have my answer. :)

Maybe we should post when we receive it, so others can get an idea of shipping time.

Not dissin Oppo. They're solidI know Navychop has DVD-A or SACD. Do you? If not, you might consider a brand that offers some features you might be interested in like Netflix, Pandora, Amazon VOD, wireless, etc. You just might end up with more for your money for less.

S~

Got my e-mail from OPPO yesterday with the offer good in my case until 5/9 and shipping expected in the same 5/18-22 timeframe. But I'm not ready to pony-up another $500. I'm thinking the price will come down on this one a bit while they work out some of the almost inevitable kinks and perhaps add the BD audio as well, so in my case some patient observation is in order...

Hmmm. You got my attention. I thought that BD Audio was automatic with any BD player, that it was just the audio with little or no video. I gather I am mistaken. Any info on BD Audio?

Well, actually I am ignorant on this topic as well! I was assuming (there's that word!) that BD audio was a future expansion of the format. The BD specs are set I guess, but the studios have yet to adopt a format and start producing "albums" like with DVD-A or SACD in the BD format. Is that correct? Do all BR players already support these codecs? The OPPO BDP-83 spec. sheet mentioned the older formats (DVD-A and SACD) but mentioned nothing about supporting BD-A, hence my comment above. Will the same codecs used for the highest quality audio in movies be used for audio-only disks? The link below is not clear on that...

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ

Well, I've got my new OPPO. Installed it, had little trouble updating my Harmony 880. Haven't yet tried an SACD or DVD-A. But did notice that fast search speeds jitteryness is worse than the PS3. And flat out terrible at higher speeds with DVDs. My LG LRY-517 is the best I've seen at smooth fast forward action on DVDs. But the upconversion is GREAT!

Hope they improve the FF search.

The OPPO came with a nice display BD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)