New PC

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
We have an 8 year old home built computer which has reached its limits of upgrade. The Asus M2A motherboard can only accept an AMD 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 2.20 GHz running windows 7 32 bit (so it only recognizes 3 gigs of ram). It only has USB 1.x ports (I can upgrade, I think, but there is really no point). Plus it is in a huge Antec case

After looking into building another one, I discovered it will actually be cheaper for me to buy a computer instead of building one.

Here is what I am looking for in a desktop:

• 64 bit
  • I don't game, but I do multitask. More cores/processors is preferred over faster with fewer
  • Hard drive size is not an issue. I currently have a 500 GB HD and it is only 30% full. Speed and efficiency is more important than size
  • I have my own video cards, so I don't care what it comes with
  • USB 2.0 (3.0 if available)
  • It will be used as my media and network server inside and outside my house

Last edited:
I was asking to compare costs. I just did this process (click link above) and found that its back to where I could not find a comparable retail with a cost that was close to a build.

Yours would seemingly be even cheaper than my build because you are planning to recycle some parts. And mine hovered around the $700 mark for a 6-core

Works now. Thanks

If I just replace the motherboard with the processor and get a smaller case, then I cold save a lot of money while greatly improving my computer. That is something I may do in the future. I was looking to buy a new PC vs building another one from scratch. If you or anyone has any insight as to which brand and model has good reviews, that would help me a lot. I can probably figure out what works as far as parts inside

true, but one must compare apples to apples to determine true value, not to buy cheaper just for the sake of being new and cheaper. just saying but at $650 that PC just doesn't hold of spec wise and likely not overall performance wise for the money paid. even the lower end version of that are too me, over priced. you could build that with a $199 kit.

Good point.

But if somebody wants a PC for $300 what good does it do to built a PC for $500 that is worth $900?:)

Diogen.

but what about the main specs; how many cores min / max / pref ? what clock speed range? how much memory and at what speed? and I am assuming you just want basic optical drive support?

but what about the main specs; how many cores min / max / pref ? what clock speed range? how much memory and at what speed? and I am assuming you just want basic optical drive support?
I was looking at getting a quad core (even 6) around 2.8 GHz or more that can be clocked to over 3. Again, multiple processing is more important than high performance super fast processing, as my machine will be an efficient multitasker and not a gamer

Why I think buying one may save me money. I will occasionally find deals on PCs that have an i7 quad core processor, 1 TB HD, Windows 7-64 (I would have to pay for the OS separately if I build my own), over 8 gigs of ram or more, and this includes the monitor, that are less than buying the pieces that include the comparable specs. I can always add one of my video cards if the on board video card is sub par

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good deals currently on a name brand PC with the aforementioned specs that has good reviews

I was looking at getting a quad core (even 6) around 2.8 GHz or more that can be clocked to over 3. Again, multiple processing is more important than high performance super fast processing, as my machine will be an efficient multitasker and not a gamer

If you want to overclock the CPU then buying one form HP or others will not be to your liking. Most of them use system boards that do not have the capabilities to overclock.

If you want to overclock the CPU then buying one form HP or others will not be to your liking. Most of them use system boards that do not have the capabilities to overclock.

True. Even if you build one, make sure it has the capability to overclock. Some of the Intel boards can't be overclocked.

If you don't mind AMD based processors, check out the xps 7100 from Dell. The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

I got one last summer when they first came out. So far so good. Different flavors, from the very basic ($499) to a kick ass gamer. Mine is the basic 6 core, 1035t. I use it for gaming so I splurged a lil bit on the video card (radeon 5870). Small footprint, and very quiet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)