New prices/packages?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The RSN packs are in the top regular package. The 590's (adults) are not in any regular package; nor are the sports packs (aka league passes) such as MLB, NFL, NCAA, NBA, etc.

Along with EVERY channel & premium, they (league passes) are in that super all-inclusive, HUGE $7000+ (or whatever) super elite package (I forgot the name); all PPV is in that too I think.

Premium/Premier (whatever they call it now) includes ALL the regular channels including Premiums (HBO, Showtime, Sport pak, etc.)

Basically it's TC+ with all the premium packages.
It's $99. Includes the DVR fee. You do need to pay for the HD package though. So $110 total.
It's not going up in price like the other package.

So I just killed Netflix and that pretty much covered the difference for me from TC+ with HBO and Starz and DVR fee and HD fee.. Once D* has all the premiums in HD there will be no need for Netflix (in my eyes). I'll just need another HR20 to record it all. ;)

If all you have is TC+ with no premiums or perhaps only 1 of them it's a bit of a jump. But if you're already getting a couple premiums and considering the price increases of the lower packages and with the DVR fee included (saves you $6) it's gets pretty close to not being that much to upgrade (for me anyway).
It's not for everyone, I haven't had it for a while to save money. I just rearranged a few things in my budget so my monthly outlay isn't much more then it was before.

How can they legally increase the prices for those of us under their 2 year commitment?

When you sign a lease on something, the agreed to price cannot be changed during the lease, so what makes this any different? They say we're only leasing their equipment. They should not be able to change the prices during each person's commitment obligation until it is fulfilled.

Depends on when you signed your deal AND whether you agreed to a price for X amount of time.

I signed up under some special period 3-4 months ago and thus my price can't change for another year or so.

But, others that signed up regularly signed a deal that allows D* to change their prices.

How can they legally increase the prices for those of us under their 2 year commitment?

When you sign a lease on something, the agreed to price cannot be changed during the lease, so what makes this any different? They say we're only leasing their equipment. They should not be able to change the prices during each person's commitment obligation until it is fulfilled.

They also have a section in the lease that states, "DIRECTV programming and pricing subject to change at any time."

Pdf available now Here
For those without adobe or with dial-up I split it up a bit for easier reading...
Base Packages:
Base packages include local channels, where available. If DIRECTV does not oer local channels in your area, programming packages are $3/mo. less than the listed prices. Visit directv.com/locals to check availability by ZIP code. Packages and their new prices:
PREMIER (formerly TOTAL CHOICE ® PREMIER) $99.99/mo;\
SELECCIÓN PREMIER $99.99/mo;
SELECCIÓN ULTRA $51.99/mo;
SELECCIÓN MÁS $42.99/mo.
SELECT (formerly TOTAL CHOICE ® SELECT)
will increase up to an additional $3/mo.
The following base packages:
*:TOTAL CHOICE ® , TOTAL CHOICE PLUS, OPCIÓN PREMIER, OPCIÓN ULTRA ESPECIAL,
OPCIÓN EXTRA ESPECIAL, OPCIÓN EXTRA, OPCIÓN ESPECIAL, DIRECTV Limited, PLUS DIRECTV, PERSONAL CHOICE, TOTAL CHOICE LIMITED, and TOTAL
CHOICE Value Packages without HBO ® will increase up to an additional $3/mo. Prices for TOTAL CHOICE Value Packages with HBO ® * and TOTAL CHOICE
PLATINUM* will increase up to an additional $4/mo.
*These packages are no longer available for sale.

Customers who currently subscribe to these packages may maintain them as long as their account is in good standing, as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion.

Other Packages:
HBO Premium Movie Service increases an additional $1/mo. (except where included in PREMIER and SELECCIÓN PREMIER). Prices of other premium movie services do not change.
TOTAL CHOICE MOBILE increases an additional $5/mo.,
FilipinoDirect increases an additional $2/mo., and
TFCDirect increases an additional $3/mo.

The DIRECTV ® HD package is no longer available for sale, but customers who currently subscribe to this package
may maintain its current lineup of HD channels for the same fee of $9.99/mo., as long as their account remains in good standing, as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion.

For complete pricing and packaging information, visit directv.com/packages. Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change, at any time. Hardware and programming available separately.
Pricing is residential. Taxes not included. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement; a copy is provided at directv.com/legal and in your -rst bill. ©2006 DIRECTV,
Inc. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo, TOTAL CHOICE, SELECCIÓN PREMIER, SELECCIÓN ULTRA , SELECCIÓN MÁS and all other WorldDirect service names are trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. All other
trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE: DirecTV

Last edited:
I did notice this on the PDF.

HD package is no longer available for sale, but customers who currently subscribe to this package may maintain its current lineup of HD channels for the same fee of $9.99/mo., as long as their account remains in good standing, as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion

So what happens to the new people that get the HD setup?

I did notice this on the PDF.

HD package is no longer available for sale, but customers who currently subscribe to this package may maintain its current lineup of HD channels for the same fee of $9.99/mo., as long as their account remains in good standing, as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion

So what happens to the new people that get the HD setup?
New subscribers will get the HD channels by getting an HD bundled package or getting the "HD Access" for $10.99.

Notice the word "current" in that statement. It sounds like those of us who are allowed to keep the HD pkg will not get any new HD channels without upgrading.

New subscribers will get the HD channels by getting an HD bundled package or getting the "HD Access" for $10.99.

Notice the word "current" in that statement. It sounds like those of us who are allowed to keep the HD pkg will not get any new HD channels without upgrading.[/quote]

I think you could make a fair argument that folks currently paying $9.99 for the HD Package will simply get new channels added to their package as they become available.

D* has changed its packages before, and that does not prevent people from getting any new channels as they are added. I think that this is just a change in terminology, which applies to new customers and people who change their package. Instead of buying a package (defined as a set of channels), you are buying access to HD technology.

From looking at the post, the way I read it :

New customers activating HD equipment on or after February 6, regardless of the programming they
choose, will pay for access to DIRECTV® HD technology at a flat fee of $10.99 per month (i.e., the “HD
Access Fee”). This fee will be required anytime a leased HD receiver is activated on a customer’s account.
The customer receives access to our HD technology so they can enjoy HD transmissions of programming
within their programming packages -- for example, if a customer has the NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ SuperFan™
package, he/she will get the HD games included in that package; or, if a customer has HBO®, he/she will get
HBO® HD.
Similarly, if a customer has local channels in their programming package and DIRECTV offers
local HD programming in their area, the customer will receive the HD local channels.

I think this means that there will no longer be a fee for Super Fan with the NFL ST., that will save some money and offset the cost right there.

Jimbo

I think this means that there will no longer be a fee for Super Fan with the NFL ST., that will save some money and offset the cost right there

Or it means that if you don't have the HD access fee you won't get the HD channels on the SF package. Then you would just be looking at the mix channel and the Red Zone channel for your $99. That wouldn't be ideal:(

I have to say though I am glad I got in before they stated to do the leased HD receivers. Right now I have 3 boxes and now lease fees.

Or it means that if you don't have the HD access fee you won't get the HD channels on the SF package. Then you would just be looking at the mix channel and the Red Zone channel for your $99. That wouldn't be ideal:(

as far as I am concerned, the red zone and mix channels are garbage and for fantasy users, which I'm not, therefore I feel I've had to pay extra to support those that are fantasy users.
The HD use to be available free, the way I see it, if you have the HD package and a DVR it's $ 69 , and that includes the SF if you buy the ST.
The post said with this package you would get all HD available to you :
The customer receives access to our HD technology so they can enjoy HD transmissions of programming
within their programming packages -- for example, if a customer has the NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ SuperFan™
package, he/she will get the HD games included in that package; or, if a customer has HBO®, he/she will get
HBO® HD.

Jimbo

Any thoughts if the $10.99 HD access fee is per account or per receiver? If per receiver, that's much worse than the current HD package which is mirrored on all receivers for no additional fees (other than the receiver lease).

with these new programming packages taking effect tomorrow, do we know what the new promotions are going to be? IE: equipment + package. or is D* playing this off as their new promotion

Any thoughts if the $10.99 HD access fee is per account or per receiver? If per receiver, that's much worse than the current HD package which is mirrored on all receivers for no additional fees (other than the receiver lease).
If it's been like previous, the HD fee handles all HD rec's $ 10.99 activates All HD rec's.

Jimbo

I have to say though I am glad I got in before they stated to do the leased HD receivers. Right now I have 3 boxes and now lease fees.

You still pay the mirroring fee for the two additional boxes, same as the lease fee. When your boxes go bad or need upgrading You have to purchase new ones, then will be under the lease. Lease people call the 800 number, for service.

well it looks like with the HD Plus you are forced to get the HR20 at the 299.99 - 199.99 rebate for a total cost at startup of 199.99. i tried to subtract the HR20 and add the H20 and it popped up saying "without the HR20 you wont be able to pause and rewind live tv, if you continue you will have to change to another package other than the PLUS HD"

Any guess on after tomorrow, if there website will be updated to show the new programing. for what looks like a simple change, there press release was a very confusing read!

Doesn't matter with monthly fees.

Owned receiver = $4.99 additional receiver fee
Leased receiver = $4.99 lease fee

Exact same fee, just name differently.
Only diff is if you own a receiver and it goes south then you pay to replace it (unless you also pay for the protection plan/racket).
Leased if it dies then they will replace it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts