New prices/packages?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Willis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on new prices and or new packages coming real soon? Rumors say in Feb..

This was posted today on another forum by a "mainbank/cis/tech tier1 soon to be tier 2 serving Directv customers since 2002" not sure if he is on the up and up...

"The "old" packages will be retired soon, but only for new customers who sign up after a certain date, and if exsisting customers decide to change their package, since the details haven't been made public yet, that's all I'll say at this point."

There must be something going on as I dropped down a package, going back to TC from TC Plus. I tried to do it on the web and it kept telling me that I was subbed to a package that no longer existed and to call the 800 number. ?????

There must be something going on as I dropped down a package, going back to TC from TC Plus. I tried to do it on the web and it kept telling me that I was subbed to a package that no longer existed and to call the 800 number. ?????

Where you able to go back to TC or did you have to call? If you called what did the CSR say?

I was able to go back to the TC but they did say that I couldn't do it on the web now. I've no clue why. The CSR just said some changes were being made. At the time I blew it off as to being made to the web site. Looks like something else is afoot.

I was able to go back to the TC but they did say that I couldn't do it on the web now. I've no clue why. The CSR just said some changes were being made. At the time I blew it off as to being made to the web site. Looks like something else is afoot.

More from the another forum, (hope not to offend anyone here by posting quotes from another forum):

"today when i went to directv.com and logged into my account i was presented an offer called choice extra(54.99), when i declined it, i was taken to a page to change my programming and it said that my current package is no longer available(Total choice basic).. the only base packages were family and premier(total choice was not in the names).. "

Looks like D* is renaming packages and setting a new price structure..

D* usually does thier changes so that they go into effect on March 1st ...
So there may be something to this...

I was just on D*'s site and went to programming and all they showed were the current 3 packages, TC, TC+ and Premier

There is a new International package and the Titanium package also shows up ( all channels for $ 7500 a year)

Jimbo

Last edited:
New Prices Effective Feb 6, 2007 - includes Local Channels

Family - 40 Channels $29.99
Choice 140 Channels 49.99 Basic Package
Choice Extra 185 Channels 54.99
Plus 185 Channels 59.99 with DVR service
Plus HD 195 Channels 69.99 with DVR & HD Access
Premier 250 Channels 99.99 with DVR service
HBO 13.00​
High Definition
Besides introducing the base package options listed above, we are changing the way we offer high-definition
service. Formerly, customers were able to purchase the DIRECTV® HD Package for $9.99/mo. We are
expiring the current DIRECTV HD Package on February 5, 2007. Now, to simplify delivery of our expanding
lineup of HD service options, we are bundling related HD channels into our base, premium and sports
subscription packages.
New customers activating HD equipment on or after February 6, regardless of the programming they
choose, will pay for access to DIRECTV® HD technology at a flat fee of $10.99 per month (i.e., the “HD
Access Fee”). This fee will be required anytime a leased HD receiver is activated on a customer’s account.
The customer receives access to our HD technology so they can enjoy HD transmissions of programming
within their programming packages -- for example, if a customer has the NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ SuperFan™
package, he/she will get the HD games included in that package; or, if a customer has HBO®, he/she will get
HBO® HD. Similarly, if a customer has local channels in their programming package and DIRECTV offers
local HD programming in their area, the customer will receive the HD local channels.

HBO 13.00​
High Definition
Besides introducing the base package options listed above, we are changing the way we offer high-definition
service. Formerly, customers were able to purchase the DIRECTV® HD Package for $9.99/mo. We are
expiring the current DIRECTV HD Package on February 5, 2007. Now, to simplify delivery of our expanding
lineup of HD service options, we are bundling related HD channels into our base, premium and sports
subscription packages.
New customers activating HD equipment on or after February 6, regardless of the programming they
choose, will pay for access to DIRECTV® HD technology at a flat fee of $10.99 per month (i.e., the “HD
Access Fee”). This fee will be required anytime a leased HD receiver is activated on a customer’s account.
The customer receives access to our HD technology so they can enjoy HD transmissions of programming
within their programming packages -- for example, if a customer has the NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ SuperFan™
package, he/she will get the HD games included in that package; or, if a customer has HBO®, he/she will get
HBO® HD. Similarly, if a customer has local channels in their programming package and DIRECTV offers
local HD programming in their area, the customer will receive the HD local channels.
This was an email sent to dealers today with no explanation of what is in each package. I would guess there are so many leaks that dealers won't know all the information until they want the public to also know it.

HBO 13.00​
High Definition
subscription packages.

Sounds like Choice (old TC) is losing 15 channels.. seems like that is the biggest change..must be to get more people to upgrade to Extra (old TC+)...

So now in other words - if the ONLY HD channels you want are your locals through the dish, you will NOW have to pay extra for them.
If the ONLY HD channels you want are HBO or Showtime, you will NOW pay extra for those.
I bet that even if you want the HD locals via the OTA tuner, you'll probably have to pay as well - just like E*!

WHAT A CROCK OF $!*t - getting WORSE than E*! :eek: :mad:
Guess we know how D* is paying for all those HD channels coming. :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, this is D* way to charge HD fees (now $ 10.99 according to this, was 9.99) to everyone, regardless if you want the HD or not.
You can no longer turn on the HD when theres something you want to see, like the NFL for example, some peope turn on the HD for football and turn it off after the season ends, No more.
========================================================

Didn't you already get the HBO in HD if you had the HD package, and locals in HD if you had the local package?

========================================================
I will have to look this over and see if my programming cost will be going up or about the same.
Looks like TC+ (w/locals) was 49 + 10 for HD + 6 for DVR so thats 65 + 2 addl rec, 5 each = 10 totaling Grand total = 75+ tax This is close to my normal cost, I imagine this would be the 69 package.

I think this is the same way DISH does thier pricing.

So I guess it depends on what channel movement will take place, will we get more channels or less ?
If you do nothing, does you bill stay the same ?

Jimbo

Didn't you already get the HBO in HD if you had the HD package, and locals in HD if you had the local package?

Yes - & actually, all TC subs are now getting TNT-HD w/out subbing to the HD pak.
I guess that'll be coming to a halt.

I think this is the same way DISH does thier pricing.

Not quite - E* only charges $6 for their "HD technology fee" (enabling fee) if you do NOT take their bloated $20 HD pak.

I knew Direct would change things by at least March 1st, they always do. This is just too much info to be a rumor. I bet this will be on the home page soon.

This one I doubt, they cannot charge you for something you get for free ......

at least not yet !!!!!

Why not - E* ALREADY does it; again if you do NOT take the HD pak & you want the OTA tuner enabled in the box, you MUST pay the $6 HD enabling fee.
Since D* controls those tuners in the newer boxes, I don't see why they couldn't do the same.
But, hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm sure as hell keeping my old "legacy" HD receivers... ;) ;)

*IF* this means there won't be a separate HD package then I think this is good. Once they add 50+ HD channels over the next year or so, it would be a tough pill to swallow to then pay an additional...say...$30 for an HD package. So what they are doing here is spreading the cost around a bit with the "HD Access" fee to all accounts with an HD receiver and this then allows you to simply get:
1) Any stand alone HD channels (i.e. HDNet)
2) If you get the SD channel, then you get the HD channel if available. This makes it nice and simple actually since I think most new HD channels will simply be HD versions of SD channels we already pay for.

I think this is actually a good idea and I like it.

Yes I think this will definetly be better over all when they put more HD channels up there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimbo
It appears to me that D* will be ending the H/D pak & replacing it with this H/D
access fee. In that way you will only get the H/D versions of any particular network, in that programming tier, if you pay the access fee, so it seems to me that the only sure thing
to do is get the Total Choice Premier pkg. which it looks like it is the only tier not
going up, BEFORE the rates go up, because after that if you change programming,
you will get the 10.99 fee?? One interesting question is about the NFL Superfan.
Since a sub to NFL ticket is required, will you get the H/D versions as well?
In other words a sub to S/F is useless?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts