New PS3 CONFIRMED. FCC Report Leaked

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
N4G.com : The New PlayStation 3: CECHG01 Model - A Few Unforementioned Details

The question now is the price point. A new PS3 is definitely on the way, but will it be at $399. All reports so far say this is the case. we'll have to wait and see.

From what i gathered, it still has wireless, thank god, and the number of USB has been cut to two. The card readers are gone as well and it WILL include the new Dual Shock 3. This IMO is a great deal. They took nothing noteworthy away, except maybe the emotion engine, and PS2 chipset, which few people actually reall need anyway. The PS2 games that matter and are worth playing will have near perfect emulation as it is.

Could be a good thing.

I don't regret having the original, larger PS2, though. It served me well.

We'll see, I guess. I just hope that you get more for less...not less for less. That's no "deal." I have a good number of PS2 games I want to continue being able to play, so the emulation issue is a big one for me (didn't have the legacy collection when I bought my 360, but its emulation has proven to be significant nonetheless--i.e. I am glad they added support for 'Psychonauts' because that's proven to be a favorite). Hmmm.

Think PS3 Fanboy is reporting the new model/price cut would become effective November 12thish, sounds like they're stringing this out so they can get a lot of hype-driven purchases which would result in Christmas sales numbers to point to for the rest of next year.

This sounds good but isn't the 40 gig already $399?

The price difference between an 80 gig drive (41 dollars ,3gbps sata at newegg)and a 40 gig drive (39 dollars, Ultra ATA) seems like peanuts to me. I don't understand why you would cripple the machine with a 40 gig drive?

Do they actually use standard HDD's? I thought they used laptop HDD's.

The price difference between an 80 gig drive (41 dollars ,3gbps sata at newegg)and a 40 gig drive (39 dollars, Ultra ATA) seems like peanuts to me. I don't understand why you would cripple the machine with a 40 gig drive?

Yeah and why does M$ cripple their machine with a 20GB drive and charge an unreasonable price on the 120, and have that priprietary connection, and have the proprietary wireless technology, and charge 100 for wireless, and make you purchase THEIR $50 HDMI cable on the new units in order to get Digital Optical sound. What vurbano, why?

You don't have to purchase an HDMI cable. It comes with one.

Also from Engadget:

Sony's $399 PS3 confirmed by Best Buy? - Engadget

If this is legit, the it looks like the Spiderman 3 blu-ray will be a pack-in with the new 40GB for the holidays, similar to what they did at launch last year with Talladega Nights.

The $400 price tag is more attractive to me, but I think I'm going to hold out until spring. With Home, MGS4, GTA4 and the new dualshock3 all hitting around the same time next year, I think they'll drop the price again in order to drive sales alongside these titles and the new controller. I know that a $300 40GB with MGS4 and GTA4 on the shelves would probably get me in the stores. If they announce God of War 3 at the GDC in the spring, then I will definitely be on board.

Yeah and why does M$ cripple their machine with a 20GB drive and charge an unreasonable price on the 120, and have that priprietary connection, and have the proprietary wireless technology, and charge 100 for wireless, and make you purchase THEIR $50 HDMI cable on the new units in order to get Digital Optical sound. What vurbano, why?
Beats me Junior. Go ask them. Both systems are a ripoff IMO.

From all I've read...its easy to swap out the HDD w/ an off-the-shelf of higher capacity. I'll have to ask when I see him this weekend, but I believe a buddy of mine has done this w/ his. So, wouldn't fret on buying a 40GB model 'all-things-being-equal'.

Aye, the HDD thing is so trivial that it makes it even stupider that they keep changing capacities in their revisions. Makes me think they primarilly do it so that it is easier to distinguish between the models.

New 40gb PS3 $399 November 1st - Rumor

Following on the European release, the new 40GB PS3 will have fewer features than the current 60GB ($499) and 80GB ($599) models, with two USB 2.0 ports instead of four, no backward compatibility for PS2 games and no multi-memory card port.

Source: Sony to put cheaper PS3 in play

Also, Sony executive funny quote of the day courtesy of UK Managing Director Ray Maguir, when asked whether early PS3 adopters would feel cheated by the new 40gb model, Maguire answers: "I think it's natural to feel that way, of course it is".

Aye, the HDD thing is so trivial that it makes it even stupider that they keep changing capacities in their revisions. Makes me think they primarilly do it so that it is easier to distinguish between the models.

Agreed - the HDD capacity is BY FAR the least significant of the cuts made to that new model... I'll take mine with WiFi, memory card ports, etc. please.

realize that this might not be the same as 360's "new" model. But what was everyone out there saying about Playstation? I thought they didn't do hardware updates? and it has been less than a year for Sony.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)