New PS3 Firmware 1.80 - DVD Upscaling - Media Center!!!!

thowe21

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Torrance, CA
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/23/firmware-1-80-to-include-1080p-upscaling-for-games-and-movies/

Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

What we PS3 owners have all been waiting for: DVD upscaling and Media Streaming capabilities. Can't wait!

Woohoo! This is one update that is going to be loved by all!

Hmm, earlier this year wasn't there a lot of stories being told about how the PS3 didn't have the ability for upconverting? Glad that was a bunch of phooey!

"...to a selection of Epson printers...."

Huh? Only Epson? And only certain Epsons?

Who cares, I just purchased an Epson HD printer this past Xmas. It is the upconversion that really completes the PS3 as a BD player. Now if we can just get them to allow the PS3 to decode DTS-HD MA and the PS3 will be smoking!!

This PS3 just keeps getting better and better!!!

1.80 for PS3 is up!!!

Shortly after 12pm EST 1.80 was up on PSN. It has alot of features:

Under BD/DVD SETTINGS:
DVD Wide Display- Pck and Scan or Full selection
DVD Upscaler - Off, Double Scale, Normal, Full (DVD's CopyProtected will only be upscaled using HDMI)
BD 24FPS in 1080p-Automatic, Off

Under GAME SETTINGS:
PS/PS2 Upscaler- Off, Normal, Full Screen
PS/PS2 Smoothing-Off, On

Under Printer Settngs:
Printer Selection-You can now hook up a printer and print from your PS3!

Under Display Settings:
Y PB/CB PR/CR Super White (HDMI)- Off, On

Under both Photo and Music there is a new Search for Media Server.

I have not had the time to play with these new settings as I typed this before going to work but this looks to be a very nice upgrade for the PS3.

I merged these threads since it was about the same thing.

I was hoping this update would make PS2 games (God of war 1 & 2) full screen on my 1080i Phillips plasma. PS3 is by default 1080i via HDMI on the TV. When I select Full screen in the Game options menu I get a black screen for 30 sec; then it defaults back. I forced the PS3 to 720p;l the game setting menu 'full screen' works but I still get black bars on the sides of GOW even after changing in game options to wide screen and turn progressive mode on. I have not tried forcing 480p on the tv yet; I had to get to work. Is this only going to work with a 1080p set? Any ideas?

I was hoping this update would make PS2 games (God of war 1 & 2) full screen on my 1080i Phillips plasma. PS3 is by default 1080i via HDMI on the TV. When I select Full screen in the Game options menu I get a black screen for 30 sec; then it defaults back. I forced the PS3 to 720p;l the game setting menu 'full screen' works but I still get black bars on the sides of GOW even after changing in game options to wide screen and turn progressive mode on. I have not tried forcing 480p on the tv yet; I had to get to work. Is this only going to work with a 1080p set? Any ideas?

hows the ps3 treating you koolbean, I kinda miss it.

Hey! I love it. I got the Blu-ray movies also; Thanks. I would just love to play PS2 games in full screen.It's not that bad at all with small black lines on the side but I just hate to do that to a Plasma set when I play for 4-6 hours. I might be off base thinking that this update would change that... I put Yellow Dog Linux on it the other day. It's not to bad; nasty learning curve for a M$ user but something to play with. Thanks again! P.S. The controller I use the most has a few bite marks on it; Your right it does make for a better grip! :)

"...Under Printer Settngs:
Printer Selection-You can now hook up a printer and print from your PS3!..."

Any USB printer?

That is going to be a great feature for someone that does not have a PC ( I bet there are people out there). IF they would add more plug-in support for the web browser you could use it to upload them to your 1 hour local drug store for .18 or so per copy. Who would have thought it 10 years ago? Just wait another 10 and see what crazy stuff the come up with!

:EDIT:
I tried to upload to walgreens drug store from the PS3 today and it works great now. Thanks Sony! :)

Last edited:
I am not sure but I believe that the Full mode is the 1080p mode and if your set does not do that then you need to select normal setting. I am reading this as OFF=480 , DOUBLE SCALE=720P, NORMAL=1080I and FULL= 1080p. That might be why your 1080i set keeps getting a black screen when you are trying to use the FULL setting.

God of War 1 & 2 look better than some 360 games I have (I do love my 360 too!). If you like that kind of game and have never played it go pick up God of War 1 at Wally World for $20. They really are great games; Epic even. In the game menu turn smoothing off, progressive scan on, and if you have a widescreen tv turn widescreen on as well. There is also a PSP version on the way and even a version for your cell phone in the works...

Finally downloaded the update tonight. I'm impressed with the upscaling, even on my 720P. The wife loves the streaming function and the photo slideshows of our kids on the 42" Vizio. A good job by Sony.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)