PS3 Question

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
last night at like 4:30 AM, my PS3 automatically came on with a automatic update and haven't shut off or move since, what to i do? thanks here what it say - currently automatic update is in progress. After the operation has completed. the system will turn off automatically . if you press the O button, you will return to home menu, but you system will no longer turn off automatically

Last edited:
That's actually happened to me a couple of times, when I was downloading a large game. And hitting "O" doesn't do anything. Correct? What I did is hold down the power button until it turned itself off, then I turned it back on. You'll then need to delete whatever was downloading during the auto update time and redownload it, because it will be corrupted.

when i resting the only thing that download was Amazon App, which i already had but i shut off the PS Cloud thing for now just in case, when it happened my PS3 wasn't even on! it turn by it self at 4:30AM

Last edited:
I wouldn't turn off the automatic updates feature if it just happened once, unless you are doing it for another reason. I would wait to see if it kept doing it, and then call Sony tech support if it's regular a problem. I would also make sure you are on the current OS firmware. In my case, it happened twice, and both times I was trying to get it to finish downloading and installing inFamous 2 (15 GB) during the automatic updates window. There are a lot of other reasons it could "hang" as well, including some kind of disconnect from the server (perhaps your internet service was temporarily disrupted in the middle of the night).

I wouldn't turn it off either. The automatic game patches and downloads are one of the best parts about PS Plus.

you right, i will turn it back on the next time go on, but i was so worry about what just happened, when i am downloading a game i always do when i am awake, but this was a "automatic update" i don't if was tried to upload my stuff to the cloud thing, i will try one more time, if it can't do it the next time oh well, let me ask one more thing, when the PS3 is doing this and my internet sometime go out for a second will that interrupt will my ps3 stall? and if it stall, is it safe to hard shut it off like after 10hrs like the other morning lol

I was just speculating a possible reason your PS3 locked up during the auto-updating process. I don't actually know for a fact that your internet connection cutting out would cause a problem--though it's certainly possible. Normally when it's auto-updating, it's only uploading your most recent game saves to the cloud and synching trophies which shouldn't take more than two minutes, so it shouldn't be an issue regardless.

One thing you might want to check is to make sure you don't have it set to auto-download suggested content for you (like game demos).

And yes, the safest way to exit when it freezes is to hold down of the power button for 10 secs (only unplug as an absolute last resort).

If it's taking longer than an hour for the auto-updating, and you know you don't have any games set to download and install, then there's probably a problem. (Note that if you downloaded a game to your PS3 and didn't install it yet, it will automatically be installed during the auto-updating process, and depending on the game size can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts