New Receiver: H23 (UPDATE: Now with Pictures)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I won't want to upgrade my machine till I can move my external to the new machine. I'll hold out as long as I can.

That's because when the HR20 came out there was no MPEG4 HD yet.
Are you sure? The H20 was around for at least 11 months before the HR20. It appears that Detroit got HD LIL in October of 2005 and it is a pretty good bet that it was (and is) MPEG4. There were 34 markets (outside of NY and LA) that turned up HD LIL before the release of the HR20.

Are you sure? The H20 was around for at least 11 months before the HR20. It appears that Detroit got HD LIL in October of 2005 and it is a pretty good bet that it was (and is) MPEG4. There were 34 markets (outside of NY and LA) that turned up HD LIL before the release of the HR20.
I think there was locals ,but no national. I had YES on a 3lnb dish in the first year I had my H20. Then when I got my HR20 ,was when I got my Slimline. And there was no additional HD except for YESHD and SNYHD for quite sometime after.

I think there was locals ,but no national. I had YES on a 3lnb dish in the first year I had my H20. Then when I got my HR20 ,was when I got my Slimline. And there was no additional HD except for YESHD and SNYHD for quite sometime after.

Correct, only HD locals (except those in NY and LA) were in MPEG4 and there were fewer of those than we have now. The HR20 came out (IIRC fall 2006) long before the national mpeg4 HD expansion in September 2007. So for the majority of D*'s customers 30 hours would've been the correct number of hours of HD programming when the HR20 came out. I'm sure that's why the box was labeled that way.

I think there was locals ,but no national.
uncrules offered an unconditional "no MPEG4" when the HR20 was came out and that's clearly not true. Obviously there was no MPEG4 CONUS until D10, but there was MPEG4 before September 2006. Perhaps more live LIL channels than there are currently CONUS live channels.

Correct, only HD locals (except those in NY and LA) were in MPEG4 and there were fewer of those than we have now. The HR20 came out (IIRC fall 2006) long before the national mpeg4 HD expansion in September 2007. So for the majority of D*'s customers 30 hours would've been the correct number of hours of HD programming when the HR20 came out. I'm sure that's why the box was labeled that way.
NY did have MPEG 4 locals spotbeamed on the 99* "Spaceway 2" satellite for NY DMA only way before the D10 was launched. They still do.! Just the DNS were Mpeg 2. And YESHD was on Spaceway 1 "103*". Both of these satellites were operational providing HD locals in MPEG4 long before D10 went live. YESHD was moved to D*10 sometime after. My guess was to Provide YESHD to everyone, not just NY DMA. Believe it or not ,there was a good 8 months where NY customers "some of NJ,CT,and PA as well" had YESHD before anyone else. SNYHD as well. Those were my first HD RSNs.

Last edited:
NY did have MPEG 4 locals spotbeamed on the 99* "Spaceway 2" satellite for NY DMA only way before the D10 was launched. They still do.! Just the DNS were Mpeg 2.

Why have NY available for DNS using MPEG2 and then spot beam the same channels using MPEG4? It seems redundant to me.

Why have NY available for DNS using MPEG2 and then spot beam the same channels using MPEG4? It seems redundant to me.
Because NY DMA Have way more then 4 local channels. and the Mpeg 2 New York are for people who don't have local networks in thier area. NY DMA Has 6 HD Locals and 19 SD locals as well. They are changing the Mpeg 2 to MPEG4 as well they already did LA. Do you think LA only has 4 Locals. Doubt it. I'm sure the LA DMA has spotbeam locals for it local customers as well.

Remember that a portion of any hard drive (around 50gb) is reserved for system operations and showcases. So recordable space is generally around 250gb+ without using an external drive.

i may be wrong but i thought that the OS for d* was around 100gb.

I thought the HR20-100 was a 320 and the HR20-700 was the 300. I thought that was one of the differences.

at first the hr20 was only 300, now they are both 320gb. with the OS taking up around 100gb, if upgraded to a 500gb it would almost double your recording capacity

OS (Linux) doesn't need the space; it still unclear what Earl claimed by that.
There are no special partition, no big system files... Mystery. I always been skeptical to that amount.
Perhaps user space limited by total size of his recording that way to make sure some free space left for VOD or spam.

The reserved space is for showcases and other system stuff as far as I know. I don't remember hearing 100gb, I thought 50gb was right? I'm not sure even where to find that info at this point, those conversations were from back two years ago...

their must be a difference between the HR 21 and the 23. if not then why take out new models with just minor changes? maybe these future models will be more stable than the ones offered right now. i have to think D is making an effort to perfect their dvr's when these newer models are being released. does this make sense?

There are many reasons for change models, many of them will never revealed to customers due confidential agreements; one example - one of the vendors lost certification to important component of the box, then you must redesign your DVR to be compliant to all requirements for your box with ne component(s).

There are many reasons for change models, many of them will never revealed to customers due confidential agreements; one example - one of the vendors lost certification to important component of the box, then you must redesign your DVR to be compliant to all requirements for your box with ne component(s).

that's true. thanks smith you're the man :up

Just got a batch of H23-600's in our loadout today... as stated there is no diff between this and the H21, aside from no need for BBC filters.

They definitely are looking at saving money (pennies) with the H23 though, the packaging is less than the H21 and definitely less than the H20 full color box. Brownbag no cables, not even the brown accessory box, its a cheap envelope. And, there was no mention on it of NOT using BBC Filters unlike the naggy sticker on the H21/H20, I did not even notice a mention of it in the manual.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)