New Receiver: H23 (UPDATE: Now with Pictures)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A new receiver is starting to be released from DirecTV, but it is currently very limited in areas that it is available. Until production ramps up, there will be very few of these out there.

The H23 receiver is IDENTICAL to a H21. The only difference - there is no need for the BBC converter box to be attached. The converter is built into the receiver. If the user has a single-wire setup (SWM), the box will automatically disable the built-in converter, and operate using the SWM.

Essentially, all other design and elements are the same, including dimensions and color.

The first software release is coming this weekend to the cutting edge testers, and the box is now in the distribution channels.

UPDATE: Jef Card has posted the first pictures of the H23 receiver:
See post 59, or click below:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-hd-discussions/138762-new-receiver-h23-3.html#post1425009

I just signed up for Directv service in California since dish network dropped my favorite HD channels, the Voom HD network of commercial free unique programming. So to distinguish this new reciever it is only one unit; older models have a second box attached, is that correct?

If that is correct, it appears that I have one of these new recievers. I have nothing to compare other than the dish networks dual HD DVR 622 but to me they seem pretty close in fucntions as they both have two cables to allow for two channel recording at the same time, the features are pretty much the same although it took me a bit to understand the settings but thanks to Directv service rep they explained it so I now know how to set up for new programming recording, etc. It might have nothing to do with the box but more the Directv service but for me the picture appears to have a slight edge more clarity than dish?:up

The BBCs are very small (about 4 inches long by 1 inch wide and tall) and connect into the "SAT IN" ports on the back of the receiver. You probably have them and don't even know it.

I just signed up for Directv service in California since dish network dropped my favorite HD channels, the Voom HD network of commercial free unique programming. So to distinguish this new reciever it is only one unit; older models have a second box attached, is that correct?

If that is correct, it appears that I have one of these new recievers. I have nothing to compare other than the dish networks dual HD DVR 622 but to me they seem pretty close in fucntions as they both have two cables to allow for two channel recording at the same time, the features are pretty much the same although it took me a bit to understand the settings but thanks to Directv service rep they explained it so I now know how to set up for new programming recording, etc. It might have nothing to do with the box but more the Directv service but for me the picture appears to have a slight edge more clarity than dish?:up

To find out what you have, just open the access door on the bottom right panel on the front of the receiver. The sticker inside will indicate your model number.

What's a BBC? Broad Band Converter

What's SWM? Single Wire Multiswitch

Thank you Jef from another newbie. The other post's suggestion to search for the terms brings up 500 hits on "BBC" ... that's a lot of posts to look through to find out what they even stand for ... other than British Broadcast System of course. I didn't try SWM after that as I'm sure there would be an equal number as both items are mentioned quite frequently here without giving the full names or info for those new to satellite.

You can always try the glossary; if you find a term not in there, simply email it to one of the MODs to add.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/82206-post1.html

(this has a button at the top of the pages too) see attached

I personally say BBC will always mean British Broadcasting Corporation which also relates to this board. The device to me should simply be B-band converter or BBC Module (maybe BBCM is best); too many acronyms muddy the picture so to speak.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 202
You can always try the glossary; if you find a term not in there, simply email it to one of the MODs to add.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/82206-post1.html

(this has a button at the top of the pages too) see attached

I personally say BBC will always mean British Broadcasting Corporation which also relates to this board. The device to me should simply be B-band converter or BBC Module (maybe BBCM is best); too many acronyms muddy the picture so to speak.

Unfortunately BBC is NOT in the glossary as of yet.
I did not check for SWM .

Jimbo

SWM is not in there either; I have posted both for additions. There is a link in the glossary to use to request additions.

I just got a free upgrade from D*, replacing my H10 with the H23. They also had to install the Slimeline dish as mine was obsolete.

Although I'm grateful for the free upgrade, and the extra HD channels that I can now get, I really think it sucks that I no longer have OTA through it.

I did, however, make damn sure that I stay commitment free in case I want to switch to Dish for the free DVR. Last time I checked D* wanted full price for their DVR and a 2 yr commitment, regardless that I've been with them from the beginning, so screw that.

I just got a free upgrade from D*, replacing my H10 with the H23. They also had to install the Slimeline dish as mine was obsolete.

Although I'm grateful for the free upgrade, and the extra HD channels that I can now get, I really think it sucks that I no longer have OTA through it.

I did, however, make damn sure that I stay commitment free in case I want to switch to Dish for the free DVR. Last time I checked D* wanted full price for their DVR and a 2 yr commitment, regardless that I've been with them from the beginning, so screw that.

If you talk to Customer Retention you most probably can get a free DVR but leased with a two year commitment.

For OTA if you use the SWM8 plus (2)SWS4’s to distribute your lines you can include OTA over a single line like you used to be able too but to the DVR’s as well. You will need the AM21 for each HD receiver and if you have any long runs you may need a Sonora DBS 14 dB Gain Line Amplifier (LA141).

NOTE: This only works with H20/HR20’s with firmware at or above .2042 or H21/HR21 and newer.

I was under the impression that the AM21 didn't work with with the H2x receivers.

You are correct. It does not work with any of the receivers, only the DVRs. We expect that later this year there will be an update to the receiver software to allow operation of the AM21 but it will be a while before this happens.

You are correct. It does not work with any of the receivers, only the DVRs. We expect that later this year there will be an update to the receiver software to allow operation of the AM21 but it will be a while before this happens.

One of my favorite and normally trust worthy Satellite supply shops states it does and specifies this as I did so sorry if the Hxx's are not actually working with the OTA converter I haven't tried it yet but do plan to soon with both HD recievers and HD-DVR's.

Again sorry for any confusion my mistake. :)

One of my favorite and normally trust worthy Satellite supply shops states it does and specifies this as I did so sorry if the Hxx's are not actually working with the OTA converter I haven't tried it yet but do plan to soon with both HD recievers and HD-DVR's.

Again sorry for any confusion my mistake. :)

Yes, the AM21 works really well with the HR21, essentially the AM21/HR21 looks just like an HR20 when it comes to OTA (except the AM21 tuners are better). It also works with the R22 SD DVR, because that is an HR21 without the HD capability.
The H21/H23 receivers will need software changes before they can work with the AM21. My guess is that it will be towards the end of the year before these software changes are incorporated into a national release.
You can usually put just about zero credibility in any information you get from a retailer, installer or CSR when it comes to new systems or services. This forum, and a couple of the others, are much more reliable sources of information.

HR 23 v. HR 20, HR 21

Like others, I am not happy with DirecTV's unwillingness to upgrade to a specific model, which was one of the reasons they said they were moving to leased vs. customer-owned equipment a year or so ago.

From what I've read or tried to learn from DirecTV, these are the differences:
  1. The HR 20 (and 21, I believe) have 50 hrs of HD, or 200 hrs of SD recording space, whereas the HR 22 and 23 have 100 hrs of HD or 400 hrs of SD.
  2. The HR 23 has internal BBCs. The advantage for me would be to unclutter my on-the-wall AV rack and hidden wiring setup, which now does not accomodate (i.e.: hide) the external BBCs, in the master BR suite.
  3. Depending on the manufacturer (100 or 700), some HR 20s do not have ethernet jacks to support DirecTV On-Demand or other internet services.
My current setup includes: Sharp 52" LCD with HR 22-100, LG 42" LCD with HR 20-100, and an R15 for the guest room.

The HR20 will work as a one-wire DVR also. On the basis of the posted information, both the HR20 and the HR23 would need to be connected to an SWM8 (or the new SWM dish) to operate over one wire. There's no difference.

And I have two HR20s, and an HR21, and there's nothing about the HR21 that I would consider as an upgrade over the HR20, so if the HR23 is just an HR21 with "built-in" BBCs then it's nothing special.

Sorry if already discussed but...

I have a HD DVR and this H23 box.
I want to be able to watch DVR recorded content on the H23 box.
the DVR is on my home network already.
I will do the CE for the DVR and the H23

It seems my next step is to get the H23 on my home network.
How do I get the H23 on my home network?

The box is too far from the router so I need to go wireless.

Please help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)