New receiver old satellite compatibility

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryanjk587

Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I just had D* installed the other day. I got an HR24-100 DVR in the living room and 2 H25-100’s in the bedrooms with MRV. The install went great and I’m very satisfied with the setup. My question is, will my H25 receiver work with an old, 18” round, single LNB D* dish? I had D* a couple years ago but cancelled when I moved. When I had it before, I set up an old dish at my camp and was able to receive SD channels which are all I need when I’m there. Can I still use that setup with my new receiver? If not, is there anything I can get that will make it work? I’m concerned because I found an article that says the receiver is “designed to work on SWiM networks only”. But in the same article it says “the H25 Receiver has an AMC satellite tuner capable of receiving both D* legacy and A3 transmissions.” Any help will be appreciated.

No, the H25 will definitely only work on an SWM system.

I would take the HR24 but I have a roomate and taking the living room receiver might be an issue.

Is there any way to make an SWM system with an old dish?

ryanjk587 said:
I would take the HR24 but I have a roomate and taking the living room receiver might be an issue.

No possible way to make a 18 round SWM.

I believe you can connect a SWM8 multiswitch to a dual output LNB. Buying a Slineline 3 SWM is probably cheaper.

boba said:
I believe you can connect a SWM8 multiswitch to a dual output LNB. Buying a Slineline 3 SWM is probably cheaper.

You can go that way, but you'll still need a slimline dish, I think it'd be cheaper to just go with all SWM.

Get a similar dish installed at your camp. If you do, then you don't have to mess with the settings. It will be plug and play. Also, you will have the HD channels. However, you may not get your local channels because you would be outside the spot beam coverage. And you would be able to take any of your receivers.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)