New Router Dual with 5.0 PS3 Connection Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
Hey Guys,

Had the PS3 set up wireless to my Linksys N Router. Whenever there were a couple of PCs or LAptops online and someone was playing for instance COD2 there would be some lag problems. So, I went and got this Simultaneus Dual 2.4 and 5.o HZ N Gigabite Router. The PS3 regognizes the 2.4 but not the 5.0. If any of you are still with me on this, do I need to attach a device to the PS3 like an N adapter to recognize the 5.0 ? If so, which one....

Damn, I ask a lot don't I. I would really appreciate some insight on this, thanks!!

Flying J

The PS3 does not natively support Wireless N. If the 5.0 network is Wireless N only (as opposed to b/g/n) the PS3 will not recognize it. I don't think an N router is the solution to your problems. I'd look at interference issues or if your router just wasn't that good. Maybe try throwing everything ELSE on the Wireless N and put the PS3 only on the 2.4? You'd have to deal with adding another expensive part to the PS3 if you want "true" wireless N support, and if everything else is sharing that same bandwidth, you may still be stuck in the same scenario.

Also, what are the specific models of your old and new router?

Last edited:
Thanks ..the older model was a Linksys N Router WRT60N V2

the new one, which maybe I just wasted $160 bucks on (of course I will take it back if that is the case) is a D-Link DIR-825. Says Simultaneous Dual Band N, 2 wireless networks in one router...and I like an idiot figured it had to be the answer. I don't think that I mentioned that I am using ATT DSL, I hate to ask but could that be the problem in itself. When only the PS3 is being played on line everything is great, when others in the house jump on line, it starts to get shaky for the PS3 user...any help would again be greatly appreciated and thanks for the posts so far!

Thanks ..the older model was a Linksys N Router WRT60N V2

the new one, which maybe I just wasted $160 bucks on (of course I will take it back if that is the case) is a D-Link DIR-825. Says Simultaneous Dual Band N, 2 wireless networks in one router...and I like an idiot figured it had to be the answer. I don't think that I mentioned that I am using ATT DSL, I hate to ask but could that be the problem in itself. When only the PS3 is being played on line everything is great, when others in the house jump on line, it starts to get shaky for the PS3 user...any help would again be greatly appreciated and thanks for the posts so far!

Yeah, what you're describing is just the limits of home internet connections - when everyone's on, more bandwidth is being used and there isn't any way to really guarantee priority of one type of traffic over the other.

Having said that, the router you have does have the capability to prioritize traffic and should prioritize gaming traffic by default (I have the DIR-655 and have no problems with it, though I mostly play when everyone else is in bed) - but once it gets out of the router, all bets are off.

The other problem is actually getting into the router. Since you're using wireless, all of your devices are sharing the same radio connection, which is in essence the same as sharing one wire. So, even though the router will prioritize the traffic once it gets in, it has to actually get in, and when all devices are sending to it full blast at the same time, you can have these types of issues.

My recommendation would be to hard-wire the PS3 if possible. If it's not, then you definitely want to figure out a way to put the PS3 on the one network and everything else on the other, but if your other devices don't support N and we know the PS3 doesn't, that may be a challenge...

Do you know what the speed and latency of your DSL connection? If you have a 1.5 or 3 megabit connection then you're going to run into problems quite quickly. If you're not sure what package you have (they range from 768kbps to 6MB downstream) go to speedtest.net or speakeasy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)