New S. NM Radio station

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I thought I would post something here before this thread dies off completely. This morning I discovered that KWML 570 in Las Cruces, NM has once again changed their format. They are now "oldies" which does appeal to me. I can remember a time when they were the powerhouse top 40 station in southern New Mexico. Sadly they have tried vintage hits, classic country, talk and most recently sports programming. I hope this format works out for them. They seem to have a FM translator as they are promoting FM 104.5 but at 85 watts I see no sign of it here in eastern El Paso County. Although the 570 AM signal is "only" 5000 watts, I remember in it's heyday it could be received from Van Horn, TX to the Arizona border. This should be convenient for anyone driving those long miles across southern New Mexico.

Can you tell if they are rolling their own format or grabbing it off the bird? Seems a ton of these AM stations that gained FM translators have gone the music route. Awesome in a way to see music kind of return to AM.

No, I do not know where the music originates. It is traditional oldies from the 60's and 70's with a station promo in between each song. So far, the only commercials have been in the way of public service.
Yes, I am very glad to see music return to AM. In expansive Southern New Mexico and far West Texas it is much easier to receive than FM, especially in a car.

Here is another one! KKBE 910 AM in Roswell, NM (everyone has heard of Roswell )! Again as KBIM it used to be the 5000 watt top 40 station for SE New Mexico. They also have floundered, trying talk, sports, etc. Since they added a low power FM translator they tried to compete with the other "Hot Hits" stations but just switched to Kids Nation. It is apparently a replacement for the Radio Disney network that has gone off the air everywhere except Pasadena, CA. I am not sure young, mostly girls, even use a radio nowadays, but I wish them luck for trying something other than talk.

910 was playing oldies last time I drove through back in 2010. RD is coming back but will be largely FM HD-2, RD never made any money and likely Kids Nation won't either. (Anyone remember Radio AAHS? I have the callsign that went on their Dallas affiliate building)

Looking at nielson KWML is rolling their own hits which is fantastic. (Despite using the KOOL moniker they are not affiliated with the Kool Gold network)

I had a chance to drive up to Las Cruces yesterday and was able to hear KWML on their FM translator. From the fringe reception pattern I believe they have completed their construction permit and are now transmitting at 215 watts and 261 feet out by the Rio Grande river. I was concerned as they are squeezed in on 104.5 and there is a powerful 104.3 in Juarez, Mexico and a 104.9 right in Las Cruces. But about 25 miles south of town the "fluttering" between the Juarez station and the translator stopped and I was able to enjoy my oldies the rest of the way into the University.
It seems these low power FM stations do better than expected. Last year I tuned in one all the way from Albuquerque to almost Socorro, NM. at 250 watts. It makes me wonder why so many of the local FM stations feel the need to pump out 100,000 watts. At least in my part of the country, once one gets away from the El Paso/Las Cruces metro area there is not much but jackrabbits for the next 80 miles. People in Alamogordo and Deming tend to listen to their own local radio stations although a good tuner and outdoor antenna will pull in El Paso.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts