New Satellites for DISH - only reason to stay for now

psychicmind

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I know this has been asked and I have searched and the results are confusing.

Considering now that DISH is a DirecTV-lite, the only real reason for me to stay is connected to the new satellites (although I love the DVR and own a PocketDISH, it's a mute-point without content).

It seems there was a recent launch that failed, so Dish freaked out and swapped out the Voom channels/satellite for national HD channels to try to compete with DirecTV. That seems very desperate on DISH's part, catering to the dumbed down masses with stretch-o-vision.

It seemes everything is riding on those new satellites.

The confusing part and where I have questions revolves around what satellites DN/ECHO launches are for HD expansion (vs the Olympics or expanded local HD):

1) How many satellites are to be launched this year that will expand HD content?
2) What are their launch dates and names?
3) How will these new satellites expand bandwidth and compete with DirecTV?

Staying with DISH will rely 100% on the success or failure of these satellite launches. The satellite that launched earlier this year that was to expand HD content failed and the Voom take down (removal of the channels and a forced bankruptcy of the company) resulted.

I'd hate to see what DISH will do if the next launch fails.

Thanks in advance.

geez man ... not to be argumentative but Directv lite ???
don't you think that is a little(?) harsh ... if you will recall dish was the leader in H-D until direct-tv got their newest sat up and running. me thinks that it will always be like that . technology changes the playing field all the time. Dish will get their equipment working and lead for a while , then direct will ... look at it like this ... they both retransmit the same channels, as their channel capacity changes because of technical reasons so will the channel count (changed spelling)

Last edited:
Not harsh at all...

I've been very very patient and dedicated to Dish, waiting for them to launch their birds. I know Charlie is a professional poker player, watching DirecTV and then doing them one better.

But none of that matters if they cannot launch the birds.

This years launch failed and they raped the Voom satellite to try to keep up with DirecTV.

When is the next launch?

If it fails, then Dish is history in my home. It would take them 2 years to catch up and take over at that point and my DirecTV contact would be up by then.

Two answer your question there are two launches scheduled, the first being in July the other being in December.

Also Dish did not swap out VOOM for the new channels as they were both airing at the same time. Dish has room for more HD, infact yesterday evening Dish starting warming up 20 more HD channel slots. (check the uplink center)

Also Dish did not swap out VOOM for the new channels as they were both airing at the same time. Dish has room for more HD, infact yesterday evening Dish starting warming up 20 more HD channel slots. (check the uplink center)

Oh that's right I forgot that fact.

Thanks for the dates.

Anyone know their names so I can keep track via Google

chill out dude....everybody knows its Friday of a long weekend. Wait until you get back in the office to try to manipulate stock prices.

I'd add that "stretch o vision" is something from the channel providers, not Dish. If it's stretched on Dish, it's stretched on DirecTV. HD PQ is close on both, if not the same. People quibble both ways on that one. These channels need to pump out REAL HD and not upconverted or bastardized HD. What we have today is a start, at least.

I want to emphasize one point that's already been posted above. Dish broadcast the new HD channels for a while along with the VOOM channels. We argue about whether VOOM should have stayed or is good to be gone (gee, there might be a thread or two on that subject :rolleyes:), but the fact is their departure makes space for MORE HD channels in their place. The VOOM bandwidth hasn't been used yet.

And don't forget, Echostar/Dish leases satellite space also. They no doubt will do so again in the future, should the need or desirability arise.

Outside of something like the Sunday Ticket and certain sports events, do you think there's much difference in the HD offerings from the two? Today? Or in a couple of months?

Outside of something like the Sunday Ticket and certain sports events, do you think there's much difference in the HD offerings from the two? Today? Or in a couple of months?
Ergo, the reason for the OP to refer to Dish as "DirecTV-lite." Myself, I prefer the term "DirecTV Jr." Ever since they took VOOM off, the only real difference between the two seems to be that Dish has less channels, thus the "Jr." moniker.

Ergo, the reason for the OP to refer to Dish as "DirecTV-lite." Myself, I prefer the term "DirecTV Jr." Ever since they took VOOM off, the only real difference between the two seems to be that Dish has less channels, thus the "Jr." moniker.

Then the question is when DirecTV will become the 'old man' and sit back to enjoy retirement in those golden years.

I ask the question because Dish WAS the HD leader, now they are an HD wannabe DirecTV

Charlie is a smart guy, so I wanted to know when he will launch a new satellites to see what he does to take the HD leadership title back. I can wait till July.

Truth is, Dish does not have very much room, otherwise they would not have to be switching things around (or admitting to in lack of space when they rolled out the new 22). Leasing air space or manipulating small satellite companies does not quite compete with having your own technology in the air.

Two answer your question there are two launches scheduled, the first being in July the other being in December.

You're beginning to sound like a shill on this one. It very much has played a "swap." That is fact. In HD count: Some went up. A pause. More came down. Nothing new in this 20. We see the old 15 plus just another 5 are in the queue. There's been nothing to show that Dish is able or willing to run Voom, the recent additions, plus any new ones yet to be seen.

How many times have we've seen this play by Dish in the recent past and as recently witnessed all for not? A bottom line loss in channel count and programming hours provided.

They appear to be hurt more than they claim by the satellite failure. This seemingly will soon to translate into investor relations problems. A bigger worry than customer relations for sure.

If there is more to we trust you to disclose. :)

What is the timeline...

to replace the 129? Until that is in place and operational HD from DISH is not an option. Does that sat have a name? is it Ceil 2?

I know what "an" uplink center is...but I assume you are talking about a website or something on Dish's site??

Scott - this is a perfect example of the fact that the separate "Uplink Center" actually decreases perception of Uplink information, rather than increases it.

I think that putting the Uplink Reports for Dish Network back into the "Dish Network Forums" area would help, rather than hurt.

Staying with DISH will rely 100% on the success or failure of these satellite launches. The satellite that launched earlier this year that was to expand HD content failed and the Voom take down (removal of the channels and a forced bankruptcy of the company) resulted.

If this is the only reason to stay a Dish Sub, I would start shopping alternatives today. If Dish has less of the same programming at the same price as DirecTV, Dish is worthless. When Dish dropped VOOM, they let their customers (you) know they (you) are worthless.

I would drop service yesterday except for that pesky contract. Counting the days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts