Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Here we grow AGAIN!

I am proud to announce that SatelliteGuys.US today ordered its second server! This new server will take over the role of our database server!

This new server is using some of the best and most powerful technology available to us. It features dual XEON 2.33Ghz QUAD CORE CPU's. (Thats like haveing 8 CPUs in a box!) 8GB of RAM, Massive Fast Hard Drive storage in a RAID 10 configuration complete with external raid controller and battery backup unit.

Now that the server has been ordered the server company (serversdirect.com) will be assembling it and burning it in for us. After it is done it will be shipped to me here in Connecticut where we will get the OS loaded up and ready and then we will send the server down to our ISP in Dallas, Texas.

Once in Dallas the new server will be put into place and connected to the current server we are using via a cross connect cable. Once that is setup we will move the database to the new server and you should notice a vast improvement in speed!

We expect everything to be completed in less then a month, and we can't wait to get it online!

This new server wouldn't be possible without the kind support of our pub members and our sponsors.

I am proud to announce this upgrade as it shows our commitment to you our members to bring you the best and fastest experience possible. So thanks again to everyone for this support and for helping us make this leap of faith possible.

(And BTW this is not the thing I have been hinting about.. details on that come Wednesday afternoon)

Thank you and.... STAY TUNED!

Steve,

Each server will backup to each other. :)

I just got an email saying that our order was processed and that my credit card was charged. So it is now in motion. :)

A special thanks to our supporting Pub Members for their help with the new server! Here at SatelliteGuys money we get from supporters actually goes back into the site, not just into the owners pocket like some other sites. :)

I am really excited about this. :D

Sweet, this is going to be awesome.
Thanks Scott :).
Satelliteguys.us never going to be the same :)

With the size of the site, the logistics of doing an offsite backup are almost impossible unfortunately.

Most companies offer automatic daily backup, but in this case Scott will run out of HDD space if he does daily.
But he has the option do destroy the old backups once the new ones are created...

We got lots of hard drive space. :)

Especially with the new server, which has 320 GB drives setup in a RAID 10 configuration. ;)

Actually our current server is not a bad little machine either. :) Dual AMD Opteron Dual Core CPUs, Raid 10 Setup, 6 Gig of Ram etc. :)

Good to hear it, Scott!
Scott Greczkowski said:
I just got an email saying that our order was processed and that my credit card was charged.
I bet that credit card is a little limp right now; better give it some rest! ;)

Got to love a credit card with 0% interest plus 5% cash back for the first 3 months. :D :D

I know what credit card we are using for the next 3 months.

Ok the new server has been shipped to my office here in Hartford!

It will take a few days to get here via ground from UPS as it is being shipped from California.

I was going to do second day air but to do that was over $200 just for shipping. So now I sit and wait. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts