NEW SHVERA Directv wierdness

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grizzly

Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Chicago, IL
Like most people I got the little mailer in the last bill telling me that I was going to lose my west coast HD feed at the end of August. I called and asked why, and I got referred to the SHVERA telling me that I couldn't "time shift" according to the FCC rules. I was pointed to section 7 of the act after I asked them to "prove" why I couldn't continue to get them since I was both waivered and grandfathered according to the act.

however, as I read this and correct me if you think I'm blowing smoke, the text reads...

If you qualify for distant signal service, you can only receive signals from stations located in your same time zone or in a later time zone, not in an earlier time zone. Ask your satellite carrier which distant digital signals it offers in your area.

This means that if I live in the east or central time zones, I can get the west coast feeds, but if I live in the west or mountain time zones, I can't get an east coast feew which would be earlier than the one available in my native time zone.

What do you guys think?

Grizzly

Err.. Kinda seems like if ure in CENTRAL, you can only receive east coast, and if ure in mountain you can get central/eastern, not the other way around = the 'timeshift', you cant get programming on EARLIER, only later! (i think!)

Huh?

There are only two network feeds. The east coast feed is from New York, and directv gives that feed to those in the central and eastern time zone. The other is a west coast feed which it gives to mountain and western and is out of LA.

Again, according to the language that I quoted earlier, it seems to me that I should be able to get both the east and the west coast feeds since I am not "time shifting" to see programming earlier than I would normally see it. In other words, I would see ER on a Thursday at 9PM Central normally. If I saw ER on the west coast on one of the distant feeds, I would see ER at 12am Central time which would mean I was seeing it later I would in my native time zone which seems to me is the intent of SHEVRA.

If I lived on the west coast, I would see ER at 9PM Western time, if I saw it on the east coast feed, I would have seen it 3 hours earlier at 6PM, which is what SHVERA is trying to prevent. Like I said, am I interepting this right?

Grizzly

Yeah, actually your right on, and i was way off..... Yeah, cant really expalin it, gets all @_@, so you should need to get the west locals vs eastern, so you cant see anything ahead of when your local DMA sees it.. yeah thats it, they dont wanna let you see anything before your local DMA sees it, only after.

OK, I'm home from a 5 day weekend and have not been following closely. If the original quote is accurate, seems like the east coasters get the west coast feeds, but not vice versa. As an added note, I got ny SHVRA card from DirecTV about a month ago saying I would lose my west coast HD feeds on 8/25. It's now 8/28 and I still have them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)