Status
Please reply by conversation.

Khurram

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
hey everyone,
just joined today, great forums..
i'm about to move to nyc...the building i'm gonna be staying in does offer directv (which was a requiremnt for me becasue I need to get nfl st!).
I dont know if they have an OTA antenna hooked up or not.

My questions are

1) for anyone that lives in nyc and has directv, is it really difficult to pick up the ota local channels with the antenna because of all the high rise buildings? or are they picked up easily? i really hope if they can be picked up that my building has an OTA, if they dont i'm gonna offer to buy one for them and put it up :D

2)If ota channels cannot be picked up with the antenna, does cable tv offer a package where you can only subscirbe for local channels? And if they do would I be able to record those channels on my hr10-250 if they are coming from my cable box?

3) If the building uses 1 common dish for all the apartments would I just need to hook up my hr10-250 to the already laid wires and be ready to go?

4) Who is a good retailer of directv in nyc that you would recommend?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but i'm a newbie to all of this so i need some help!...any advice from nyc users would be appreciated but also anyone else that has any input please dont hesistate to reply...

by the way i'm gonna be staying in this new building called 10 Hanover in the financial district just incase anyone is wondering...
Thanks a lot everyone!

Khurram

do you think I could pick up the locals with a set top antenna instead of an outdoor one?
And would I be able to record those using my hr10-250?

A good retailer in the area would be Value Electronics. (see top of page) Most of your other questions are best left for building management to answer. I used to work for a company that did installs in buildings like yours. Some were done with OTA antennas some without. The system installed may be a stacked system and require special accommodation for a DVR because that requires 2 lines in. As far as OTA reception goes it's anybodys guess as to what you will experience. Downtown is the most densely built on area in the city. The buildings are so close together that sometimes sunlight can have a tough time getting through. You may get lucky and be able to use a cheap indoor antenna, but you wont know for sure until you try.

would you really need the OTA since directv offers locals in HD in the nyc market? i mean, i get my local channels in HD save a few.

obeythelaw said:
would you really need the OTA since directv offers locals in HD in the nyc market? i mean, i get my local channels in HD save a few.

you said that directv provides local channels in nyc...but dont they only provide them via an OTA antenna? this is what I understood by the directv website...

I thought the local channels would only be available on directv via the dish once the mpeg4 satellites and recievers were ready. Isn't that what the situation is?

Are you in nyc right now and are you recieving local channels via your directv dish?! if you are thats great but i thought you could only get the local channels from directv via the ota antenna that they mention.

Please clear my up confusion!
thanks

now i'm really confused...
bear with me i'm a newbie!

so i can recieve the local channels in nyc via my directv dish WITHOUT an off air antenna? Are these in HD?

Or can I only receive SD local channels without an off air antenna..

Or can I receive NO local channels without an off air antenna? :confused:

my zip is 10005 by they way.

In the NY DMA you will get CBS, NBC, FOX, and ABC if your building has the Phase III Dish. You will need an OTA antenna for UPN, WB, PBS, and some others. Ask building management as to what you should expect.

Khurram said:
now i'm really confused...
bear with me i'm a newbie!

so i can recieve the local channels in nyc via my directv dish WITHOUT an off air antenna? Are these in HD?

Or can I only receive SD local channels without an off air antenna..

Or can I receive NO local channels without an off air antenna? :confused:

my zip is 10005 by they way.

You will be able to receive all local channels with the Triple LNB dish in standard def. No OTA antenna needed. You will also get Channel 2, 4, 5, and 7 in High Def without an OTA antenna. So, those of us in th NY/NJ area pretty much get a good deal
:D

obeythelaw said:
You will be able to receive all local channels with the Triple LNB dish in standard def. No OTA antenna needed. You will also get Channel 2, 4, 5, and 7 in High Def without an OTA antenna. So, those of us in th NY/NJ area pretty much get a good deal
:D

all i can say is...... sweeeeeeeet :D

better hope my building that i'm moving into has a triple lnb dish! i'm sure they would though it's a brand new building just opened this summer, so they better be up to date! or i'll offer to give them my triple lnb dish!

do you think that an apartment building that uses one main dish to supply access to all units in the building, uses the same exact dish that we use?
cuz then i could seriously just offer to give them the triple lnb if they dont have it!

If it's a brand new builing they may have the right dish in place already. Offering yours would be of no value if it is a stacked system. That uses a different kind of LNB. A little tip about living in NY City. Ask your door man or elevator operator about what you need to know. They know just about everything that goes on in their buildings. With the address you posted you probably have one of each. :D

rockaway1836 said:
If it's a brand new builing they may have the right dish in place already. Offering yours would be of no value if it is a stacked system. That uses a different kind of LNB. A little tip about living in NY City. Ask your door man or elevator operator about what you need to know. They know just about everything that goes on in their buildings. With the address you posted you probably have one of each. :D

Yeah luckily i do have one of each:)
only thing is that i haven't actually moved to nyc yet, i'm moving on september 16th, and i'm currently overseas on business so i can't easily get a hold of the building right now...

Im jus getting anxious cuz i bought a new 50 inch sammy dlp ( the one on the pedastel stand) and i've never seen nfl in HD so i'm gettin all hyped up! apartments in nyc are so tiny though that my tv will probably be bigger than my living room!! :D I just wanted to gather info ahead of time before i actually make the move...but things are lookin good...

by the way...if the building does have another dish besides the triple lnb, isn't there somethign that states in the fcc law for condos , satellites and what not, that the building must upgrade their equipment if it prevents the tenants from receiving complete services...i remember reading about something like that in the fcc law that was passed in 1999.

For the amount i'm paying for a 1bdrm they should provide me with a platinum plated bathroom let alone triple lnb directv!!! :eek:

Khurram said:
Im jus getting anxious cuz i bought a new 50 inch sammy dlp ( the one on the pedastel stand) and i've never seen nfl in HD so i'm gettin all hyped up! apartments in nyc are so tiny though that my tv will probably be bigger than my living room!! :D I just wanted to gather info ahead of time before i actually make the move...but things are lookin good...

Yeah, you will be able to see the Giants in HD
:D They're going to make it to the Superbowl this year!

:D :D
obeythelaw said:
Yeah, you will be able to see the Giants in HD
:D They're going to make it to the Superbowl this year!

Well i'm getting ST and superfan cuz i'm a BILLS FAN BABY!!!

McGahee rules all
J.P. Losman is the future ( i hope!)

lol... better than the place where I stay at....... only has a 19" TV.... and on NFL opening day...... but hey.... 38th and park ave

Khurram said:
Yeah luckily i do have one of each:)
only thing is that i haven't actually moved to nyc yet, i'm moving on september 16th, and i'm currently overseas on business so i can't easily get a hold of the building right now...

by the way...if the building does have another dish besides the triple lnb, isn't there somethign that states in the fcc law for condos , satellites and what not, that the building must upgrade their equipment if it prevents the tenants from receiving complete services...i remember reading about something like that in the fcc law that was passed in 1999.

For the amount i'm paying for a 1bdrm they should provide me with a platinum plated bathroom let alone triple lnb directv!!! :eek:

I think the FCC only covers you for areas of exclusive use. (Like your balcony) NYC apartments are famous for being on the smaller side (especially the kitchens) But not to worry, you are just a short walk from Delmonico's (over on Beaver St) :D Just remeber to bring your AMEX Gold with you!! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)