New software downloading on my 811 now!

I never had a problem with the Dark output. The only change I see is the Guide works a little better. It did not have to download when I first turned on the receiver. Aspect ratios are the same. Recall button in OTA mode still not working.

But and most important for me, the HD picture quality still looks great. That is what I spend $150 to purchase this unit in the first place.

From what I've been reading here , it really sounds like this update was mostly for Sirius, which bows next week. Maybe they snuck in an EPG/OTA fix, as well. But, it's beginning to look like Mid-June for the big stuff. :(

Curses! Foiled again! :no

snathanb said:
I don't know what you mean by "doesn't in SD". Mine always has changed the aspect ratio in SD.

Do you mean on SD content over the composite and Svideo outputs? If that is the case, no, it still does not.

Yes, I meant over SD output interfaces.

Thank you.

GaryPen said:
From what I've been reading here , it really sounds like this update was mostly for Sirius, which bows next week. Maybe they snuck in an EPG/OTA fix, as well. But, it's beginning to look like Mid-June for the big stuff. :(

Curses! Foiled again! :no

Then possibly another update is due in a couple next week or the following if the dark video is not fixed. From initial posts it is not. Time will tell and as more people give it a spin we should get a feel for what has been fixed.

I got home and tested my OTA on my three local stations. Bear in mind, I test 265, reset, take update and then measure the following within 20 minutes of each other:

Before update (265):

CBS: 78-82
ABC: 77-81
NBC: 49% never locked except on rare rare occations - did not lock today.

After update (266? - did not check):

CBS: 78-82
ABC: 79-83
NBC: 54-65 and locks!

So this change is much better for me so far. The darkness over s-video looks better but still needs improvement imo.

YMMV and good start for E* from my location.

Hi everyone, I've only had Dish Network for about a week and a half, so please forgive the dumb question. When I got home from work, I turned my 811 off, and then turned it back on, and it didn't say anything about downloading any new software. How would I be able to tell whether or not there was a download? Thanks.

Welcome aboard! Just go to the menu - setup - system info is what you are looking for. It will have a software version - the old version is now 265 - I guess the new is 266.

To get the update: turn off your unit with the power button on the unit itself. Should have no lights on it.

Just watch for a moment and it will come to life and tell you it is updating. Let it finish and you got it.

Good Luck!

keith said:
My wife is watching TV so I can't take a good look at P266 yet. In my setup, P266 is a lot brighter on s-video than P265. The TV looks washed out now and needs readjusting back, hopefully all the way back to normal.

Keith.

This has been a good day! :D

The picture on all my outputs looks much, much better (I can now readjust my TV back to normal levels!) and the EPG doesn't need updating every 2 hours! :D

I'm quite pleased with 266 thusfar.

My s-video is much improved, and I had to reduce the TV brightness from 100% down to 60% or so. Didn't compare the 811 to a test disk in the DVD player yet. (calibrate display to DVD, switch to 811).

I watched OTA for 5 minutes, hit Guide, and went to acquiring satellite, downloading guide info, yadadada. Same old nonsense, although I haven't need to reboot yet after watching OTA, only rebooting for other reasons.

Keith.

I just returned after leaving the 811 on an OTA channel for four hours. I hit Guide and it did a 5 step test before returning to the guide. Same as before.

I think there might be some basic limitations to the 811, one being the OTA and satellite modes are fairly well disconnected from each other. Having the guide trying to keep them tied together raises hell with the unit.

keith said:
Could be coincidence, but my OTA reception is WORSE now with P266. Digital OTA channels that were 6x% are now at 5x% and breaking up.

Keith.
Ditto Here

Lost digital OTA

:(
keith said:
Could be coincidence, but my OTA reception is WORSE now with P266. Digital OTA channels that were 6x% are now at 5x% and breaking up.

Keith.

Even worse here -- Digital OTA channel that was 85% is now gone to the dreaded 49% failure to lock. The first thing I did was to rescan the digital channels to see if the remapping was fixed. Lost a couple of channels doing that. Video output seems better.

Craig

So THIS is what we waited since February for :mad: ?!?!?!

Version 266 fixed virtually NONE of the problems with my 811 !!! Picture detail in dark areas is still woefully low, requiring a major boost in brightness that of course desaturates the picture :no .

After watchin OTA for only 30 minutes, I hit the guide button and it went to the re-aquiring satellite only to lock up at step 3, which required a reboot :eek: .

My local FOX Digital station, while showing 85% strength, still rarely locks on right away, typically taking several minutes to finally lock on after which it is fine. Until you change the channel of course :( .

However, the guide is at least now showing programs into the next few days, instead of just 1 hour. But of course, OTA digital channels still show no guide information at all.

Well, at least I'm not disappointed for calling Dish Corporate earlier this week to take back my 811 and refunding my $200.00. I'll continue using my Zenith HDV420 and wait on high-def via satellite until the 811 is serviceable.

An update to my previous post. The s-video dark issue is still there. The update only slightly brightened the picture. I had saved my settings that I used for my 6000 and its not even close. Also you can tell when you put in a VHS tape that its totally washed out with my current settings, and when i fix it to go back to TV s-video, its totally dark. I called Dish advance tech support and the said that alot of people are calling in for this problem and he filled out a uncommon trend report (my second one). He also said they were aware of the problem. If they were aware of it why did they send it out? I'm now totally fed up. I,m dumping the 811 and getting a 6000 which I never had a problem with.

stlouisrod said:
So THIS is what we waited since February for :mad: ?!?!?!

Version 266 fixed virtually NONE of the problems with my 811 !!! Picture detail in dark areas is still woefully low, requiring a major boost in brightness that of course desaturates the picture :no .

After watchin OTA for only 30 minutes, I hit the guide button and it went to the re-aquiring satellite only to lock up at step 3, which required a reboot :eek: .

My local FOX Digital station, while showing 85% strength, still rarely locks on right away, typically taking several minutes to finally lock on after which it is fine. Until you change the channel of course :( .

However, the guide is at least now showing programs into the next few days, instead of just 1 hour. But of course, OTA digital channels still show no guide information at all.

Well, at least I'm not disappointed for calling Dish Corporate earlier this week to take back my 811 and refunding my $200.00. I'll continue using my Zenith HDV420 and wait on high-def via satellite until the 811 is serviceable.

Interesting...

My PQ for non-HD channels has improved significantly on all outputs. So much so that I am able to reduce the brightness and contrast to "normal" levels, instead of up in the mid/high 90s (mid-60s works well for the settings now)

Since my locals are on the bird, I don't do OTA, so that hasn't been an issue for me, but from what I've been reading, it seems to be a mixed bag for many...some have improved reception of OTA stations, others don't.

The EPG has been fine for me since 266, whereas with 265, it had to download it from the sat every 2 hours or so.

Maybe your 811 is defective? Did you check to ensure that 266 took in the system info screen?

I'm much more pleased with this receiver now than I was yesterday. :)

I can most definitely live with it now, whereas before today, I was rather discontented with it.

My report is on the + side of the ledger....

No difference or slightly better reception for about 2 hours of OTA viewing tonight.

Pic quality via DVI might be slightly improved/brighter, but I don't know for certain that it is anything more than reports of increased brightness telling my brain to see that.

Certainly the issues with OTA going to Sat requiring a reacquisition of the Sat didn't happen tonight, and the guide is remaining in place. I haven't checked to see how far ahead the guide is working, but I'm certainly pleased after one night's use from the new software.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts