New software downloading on my 811 now!

I use the s-video on the 811 because I have a DVD recorder. I have no choice. The P266 has done NOTHING for the darkness issue on that input. I STILL LOOKS LIKE CRAP AND I'M PISSED.

I got my 811 in mid-December. I'm guessing it was an early model. The boot strap version is 1010LABD.

I'm wondering if the people having success with the 266 have newer 811's???? Maybe those of us with the crap dark picture still have the older ones.

Can anyone help verify this?

PQ over S-Video is much improved w/ 266. Much lighter and much sharper. My normal viewing is via DVI, but I keep the S-Video connected as an alternate. With 265, the S-Video PQ was too dark to be watchable.

After watching CSI tonight via DVI, I'd say that PQ via DVI has also been lighten-up. Night scenes seemed much more distinct (i.e., I could differentiate between the blacks) than before.

I haven't had enough opportunity yet to truly test going from OTA to the Program Guide, nor have I had much chance to test OTA locking and signal strength on my marginal stations. Since these were my big issues w/ the 811, I'll reserve my final judgement on the impact of 266.

Just read the post by "811 Sucks". My 811 was installed on or about 12/19/03, so I'd call it one of the early ones.

Brightness and picture quality in general improved greatly, all inputs. Nicely done Dish, now about that DVI sd stretch patch... :D

811Sucks said:
I use the s-video on the 811 because I have a DVD recorder. I have no choice. The P266 has done NOTHING for the darkness issue on that input. I STILL LOOKS LIKE CRAP AND I'M PISSED.

I got my 811 in mid-December. I'm guessing it was an early model. The boot strap version is 1010LABD.

I'm wondering if the people having success with the 266 have newer 811's???? Maybe those of us with the crap dark picture still have the older ones.

Can anyone help verify this?

I have a 1010LABD and P266 has made the s-video much brighter. No comment on image quality until I recalibrate the display, so it might be bright and mediocre. There certainly doesn't appear to be any consistency to this update, and my confidence in the 811 is pretty low. This weekend I will check out the component and DVI-D outputs.

Who is to say that P267 won't brighten up your 811 and darken mine? How about starting another thread to assemble a list of unhappy 811 owners and present the warehouse of 811 problems to Dish with strength in numbers. I don't have any insider information, but get the strong feeling that Dish are just pushing the 811 image problems from here to there, and some number of 811's will never be fixed. If Dish have a beta program for this turkey, it needs to be expanded to include a larger sample of 811's and users.

Keith.

Well, that was a disappointing update. My 811 is also from mid-December, and the new 266 update has NOT significantly improved the dark s-video problem.

I called them again, an was told to report it through Dish's website, referencing the S-22 problem.

The mixed reports here are really leading me to believe that this is not going to be fixed with a software upgrade. And if they have reworked any of the chips in the newer 811, trying to program a fix that will work for everyone could be a nightmare.

My patience with Dish is nearing an end.

Scott

266 is installed. I did verify that it is on the receiver. The S-video darkness issue is still there. I don't understand why some people say that it has been improved on all inputs. I have mine set to 1080i, 16X9 aspect. The darkness shows up on OTA SD broadcasts (HDTV also). So are people using the same settings and seeing an improvement through S-video?

My receiver was installed a couple of weeks ago. So, it should have any newer hardware. I doubt there is any newer hardware.

What exactly is boot strap version refering to? Is it hardware or software? Mine is 1010LADD and the s-vid, composite, component and DVI all have the same brightness level. They didn't before, s-vid and composite were so dark I couldn't watch anything and be happy. It's much better now but still I don't feel its as bright as it should be.

My blacks are still washed out

Through s-video, I really can't tell any difference. I'm really baffled here. The blacks and dark shades are all washed out. It's like someone smears paint on my screen.

Bootstrap

I don't know what the Bootstrap version means either. But, obviously we have different ones. Mine is the 1010LABD.

Still, someone on here that got the 811 in mid-December has seen improvement in the darkness.

I just don't know why I haven't. Basically anyone with a DVD recorder hooked up to the 811 is screwed. All my recordings are washed out.

I really thought 266 was going to fix this, I guess I was dead wrong again. :mad:

I was on the phone last night with Dish when my download occurred.

I proceeded to ask what changes were maybe and they said, none of the known problems seemed to be fixed with this update. She said she had a list of known problems on P265 and a new list of known problems on P266 and they matched 100%.

I still have all of my problems I had before the update. I would guess the update was for the satellite radio thing.

long_time_DNC said:
Interesting...

My PQ for non-HD channels has improved significantly on all outputs.QUOTE]

Same here! My SD channels look better than before.

For me 266 improved (so far):

OTA reception
The guide problems
output quality in general

Stjtoday said:
Brightness and picture quality in general improved greatly, all inputs. Nicely done Dish, now about that DVI sd stretch patch... :D

What SD stretch problem? I have seen this problem posted before. I have never had this problem. I have had my 811 since late March. I use a DVI connection. Maybe this is a problem for people using S-Video.

tholden1 said:
266 is installed. I did verify that it is on the receiver. The S-video darkness issue is still there. I don't understand why some people say that it has been improved on all inputs. I have mine set to 1080i, 16X9 aspect. The darkness shows up on OTA SD broadcasts (HDTV also). So are people using the same settings and seeing an improvement through S-video?

My receiver was installed a couple of weeks ago. So, it should have any newer hardware. I doubt there is any newer hardware.

Why are people using S-Video with a high-bandwith high definition device? :confused:

Did you ever notice that whenever E* does something even remotely positive all kinds of "new members" jump out of the woodwork and start bashing E* to no end?

bigthrust said:
Why are people using S-Video with a high-bandwith high definition device? :confused:

The run to dvd-recorders, vcrs, tivos, second non-hd tv sets, etc, etc.

There are plenty of reasons... I don't... but I can see why others would.

Quote:
Why are people using S-Video with a high-bandwith high definition device?

Answer:
I have a sony 4:3 HDTV. I watch SD on s-video because the upconversion to 1080i is not good and I want to fill my 4:3 screen with SD instead of watching it in an inferior 16:9 format. The only thing I watch in 16:9 is HD programing and DVD's. Many people with 4:3 HDTV sets need the s-video.

bigthrust said:

For one thing it allows you to use the zoom settings of your monitor instead of the 811 which, in most cases, offers more control of the zoom, stretch and aspect ratio options while watching SD.

In my case, my HD monitor offers a setting that slightly crops top & bot while slightly stretching at the side edges only. It results in a much more acceptable alternative to watching SD in 4:3 on a 16:9 television. It fills the screen without nearly the stretch or picture loss that happens with the 811's settings.

Another reason is that most monitors provide for seperate picture & sound control settings on each input. The 811 (at least until yesterday's 266 download) has had at lot of PQ issues that seem to vary from unit to unit and from output to output on the same unit. Becuase of this many owners found that by using different outputs they could have seperate picture and sound settings for HD & SD and not have to change them each time they switched.
WaltinVt

waltinvt\ said:
For one thing it allows you to use the zoom settings of your monitor instead of the 811 which, in most cases, offers more control of the zoom, stretch and aspect ratio options while watching SD.

In my case, my HD monitor offers a setting that slightly crops top & bot while slightly stretching at the side edges only. It results in a much more acceptable alternative to watching SD in 4:3 on a 16:9 television. It fills the screen without nearly the stretch or picture loss that happens with the 811's settings.

Another reason is that most monitors provide for seperate picture & sound control settings on each input. The 811 (at least until yesterday's 266 download) has had at lot of PQ issues that seem to vary from unit to unit and from output to output on the same unit. Becuase of this many owners found that by using different outputs they could have seperate picture and sound settings for HD & SD and not have to change them each time they switched.
WaltinVt

Ah! Some good reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)