New Software: Hopper Duo (U992), Hopper 1 (U917), Hopper 2 (U742), Hopper 3 (U939), Wally (U827)

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
This is the new sticky thread for discussing any changes made by the newest software release.
The new Application Software version is AN459a.
Hopper and Wally software versions are listed in the thread title.

Available Joey Software versions (which should be the same, regardless of Hopper model) are listed below:

W152 - WJ Access Point
W206 - WJ Access Point
U962 - Joey
U767 - Joey / Joey 2.0 / Wireless Joey
U865 - Super Joey
U670 - 4K Joey
U583 - Joey 3.0

Forced the upgrade on both Wallys this morning. It went lickety-split. No more than 15 minutes per receiver. Now it might be an illusion but U827 seems to be faster, menu page changes etc seem much faster (or maybe I'm just getting slower) :)

Reactions: TheKrell
Forced the upgrade on both Wallys this morning. It went lickety-split. No more than 15 minutes per receiver. Now it might be an illusion but U827 seems to be faster, menu page changes etc seem much faster (or maybe I'm just getting slower) :)
Glad to hear it! The download process seemed to be much slower on other models this time, such as Hopper Duo and Hopper 3. Maybe they didn't change much on the Wally this time around. :)

Glad to hear it! The download process seemed to be much slower on other models this time, such as Hopper Duo and Hopper 3. Maybe they didn't change much on the Wally this time around. :)
I hooked up my second Hopper Duo (which had not been updated since U640) and the software download seemed to go much faster on that one. Anyway, I sold that Hopper Duo, so I will be shipping it tomorrow.

Of note on the Hopper Duo with the new software, U992: The Home Media icon has been removed from the main menu. Instead, the Messages icon has now been moved up to appear next to the Apps icon in the lower-right corner.

I wonder if Home media is gone for good. I would far prefer to have it than Amazon prime that was added.
With U827, the Wally still has Home Media. I guess this makes it official that the Wally will never get the Amazon Prime app, since Home Media was not removed to make room for it. Interestingly, Home Media was removed from the Hopper Duo, although Amazon Prime has not been added yet. There is also still no word from Scott on whether Amazon Prime is coming to Hopper Duo. So, this is starting to look like confirmation that it is coming. If Amazon Prime was definitely not coming to Hopper Duo, then Scott would have said so, just like he did for HWS, Joey 1, and Joey 2 earlier.

• Sad
Remember, this is just your theory, and you might be wrong. I know I know. That's very rare. ;)
At least it explains why this particular software update for the Wally did not take very long. Like I said, they must not have changed much, since Home Media did not disappear. The removal of Home Media is likely what slowed down the software downloads on the other models. Now, for all I know, Dish could be planning to remove Home Media from the Wally with the very next software version, and then that download will also slow down to a crawl.

• Sad
The removal of Home Media is likely what slowed down the software downloads on the other models.
You lost me on that conclusion. I think the download was slower than usual on my H3 because it was bigger than usual, e.g. including Prime Video on my J3 hardware. Since your Wally has no Joey software, it did not slow down.

I am still hopeful that Home Media will come back. Is this just wishful thinking?

You lost me on that conclusion. I think the download was slower than usual on my H3 because it was bigger than usual, e.g. including Prime Video on my J3 hardware. Since your Wally has no Joey software, it did not slow down.

I am still hopeful that Home Media will come back. Is this just wishful thinking?
I am hopeful that Amazon Prime will get added to Hopper Duo. Do you want to make a bet about which will happen first, if either of those things happens? ;)

• Haha
I am hopeful that Amazon Prime will get added to Hopper Duo. Do you want to make a bet about which will happen first, if either of those things happens?
I was about to suggest $10, but I don't have $10 worth of faith that either will happen. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)