NEW software on Wally?

Do you already have a Wally, and are asking how to upgrade the software to U430? Or are you asking for a review of how well the functionality works before you decide whether to buy a Wally?
I have a Wally with U430 but no idea how to use the software. A chat with DISH didn't help, I've been able to go into menu and bring up display of signal strength for both tuners, but how do you get both displayed on screen?

I have a Wally with U430 but no idea how to use the software. A chat with DISH didn't help, I've been able to go into menu and bring up display of signal strength for both tuners, but how do you get both displayed on screen?
The 2nd tuner is only for recording to an external hard drive. It works like any DVR with two tuners. At this point, the Wally does not have PIP, nor can you watch the 2nd tuner independently on a 2nd TV.

The 2nd tuner is only for recording to an external hard drive. It works like any DVR with two tuners. At this point, the Wally does not have PIP, nor can you watch the 2nd tuner independently on a 2nd TV.
Thanks, doesn't improve the product but does clarify the dual tuner quasi functionality.

Thanks, doesn't improve the product but does clarify the dual tuner quasi functionality.
I think it is a big improvement to have shows record in the background while I'm watching live TV, instead of having the channel change every time a timer kicks in. Being able to record two shows at once (or four shows at once if you add the dual-tuner OTA adapter) while watching a previously recorded or VOD event is also nice. The Wally is not for everyone, since any Hopper has more tuners than the Wally. However, the Wally is nice for people on a budget, who do not want to spend money each month on a DVR fee.

I think it is a big improvement to have shows record in the background while I'm watching live TV, instead of having the channel change every time a timer kicks in. Being able to record two shows at once (or four shows at once if you add the dual-tuner OTA adapter) while watching a previously recorded or VOD event is also nice. The Wally is not for everyone, since any Hopper has more tuners than the Wally. However, the Wally is nice for people on a budget, who do not want to spend money each month on a DVR fee.
I’m lost the Wally now has 2 satellite tuners?

I'm not as desparate as you are for recording I've got 14 Tivo tuners and two other DISH tuners and no fees thanks to Tivo lifetime.

Being able to record two shows at once (or four shows at once if you add the dual-tuner OTA adapter) while watching a previously recorded or VOD event is also nice.

Does this mean you can pull down VOD programs off the net a la MPEG4 DVR receivers?

Being able to record two shows at once (or four shows at once if you add the dual-tuner OTA adapter) while watching a previously recorded or VOD event is also nice.

From DISH.

The newest Wally software, U430, which is in the midst of a phased rollout, enables Watch and Record functionality when an External Hard Drive is connected.

So are we 100% SURE this also includes being able to record (2) satellite shows at the same time? Because if this is exactly how E* is wording this, this doesn't imply to me that you can...& with E*'s track record on introducing things that don't actually come to fruition... ;)

So are we 100% SURE this also includes being able to record (2) satellite shows at the same time? Because if this is exactly how E* is wording this, this doesn't imply to me that you can...& with E*'s track record on introducing things that don't actually come to fruition... ;)
I tested it on Friday, recording two satellite shows and two OTA shows, all at the same time. All four shows recorded.

With the recent software release dual tuner functionality has been launched on Wally.
This will not impact customers unless they have an external hard drive.

With an EHD they can record one show and watch another simultaneously.

This will work when the Wally is connected to a DPP LNBF or a DPH 42 switch.

When using a DP LNBF or a DP switch Wally will operate as a single tuner.

This will work when the Wally is connected to a DPP LNBF or a DPH 42 switch.
That's a new one for me. I didn't know that the Wally would work with a DPH42 switch. I was trying to help someone over at dbstalk who was looking at switching from Directv, and I recommended the Wally to replace his HR24 that he used in his bedroom and took with him on trips in his motorhome. I described the switch layout for cascading a DPP44 and a DPH42 so he could have both the Hopper 3 and the Wally at home. I think the complicated switch layout scared him off, and he decided to stay with Directv. Now that I know a DPH42 will work to add a Wally, I will know what to recommend next time a similar situation comes up. :)

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts