New Software U549 for Hopper3

Well, this isn't good. This evening when I went to bed and tried a Joey, I found it was literally unwatchable. All live channels (satellite as well as OTA) and recorded programs suffered severe pixelation and suttering sound. I rebooted the Joey to no effect. I had to reboot the H4 to get the picture to clear up. I fear new bugs were introcued with U549.

H4?
Do you have an OTA adapter?

Well, this isn't good. This evening when I went to bed and tried a Joey, I found it was literally unwatchable. All live channels (satellite as well as OTA) and recorded programs suffered severe pixelation and suttering sound. I rebooted the Joey to no effect. I had to reboot the H4 to get the picture to clear up. I fear new bugs were introcued with U549.

this is nothing new...…….it happens to my hws & wireless joey
in fact it happened Saturday night, rebooting the joey does nothing
tried again Sunday after the nightly process & everything was fine

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I have not received this sw update. Maybe they stopped sending it out due to too many bugs.
My Hopper Duos usually get the new software updates automatically. However, for the past several software versions, my Wally receivers have not been downloading the new software automatically. I have had to manually update them through the Diagnostics > Tools menu every time. I assume that Hopper 3's might also act the same way. So, just because you haven't gotten the update does not necessarily mean that your receiver is not on the list to get the update. It may just mean that you have to force the update yourself.

I upgraded both of my Hopper3 receivers to software version U549. My Joey3 stayed at software U575. Can someone tell us what this new software version addresses? Thank you.
After the update I had to turn caller ID and TV Enhancements back on on both Hopper3 receivers since the software update turned them both off. This tends to occur after most updates.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Our remotes become disabled after some updates!!!!

I apologize in advance if I’m speaking out of turn, but P.C. motherboards have been able to interface with 1 boot drive and up to three storage drives of at least 1 tb for probably a decade at least. Add a pci sata
card and that number grows exponentially. How hard can it be to write firmware that has existed for so long.
But DVR's such as Dish's (and TiVo's) often use the Broadcom Chipset with all that stuff locked and loaded on the chip dependant. I think this is one reason why the Dish DVR's are limited to 2 OTA tuners because that is the chipset design, and Dish may not be interested in a slightly MORE EXSPENSIVE chipset (multiplied by millions of STB's--the business model is sat cable PAY for the STB's and DVR's up front for you; there aren't any DELL-like upgrade options for the hardware for you the consumer to pay the difference for on the way out the shopping basket website door) for more feture rich capabilites for the H3.

DVR's are NOT PC's, which depend upon more internal, replacable parts for functionality and upgrades. PC's can do many amazing, vastly different things from document creation to audio and video editing and viewing--there seems to be no limit to the countless things a PC can do--including the PC being a DVR! And a PC can run all sorts of software. The DVR Set-Top-Box has a PRIMARY function with limited, custom software (a lot of the processing power is used for Whole Home activity of the thousands of instructions per second for juggling quite a bit of data and launching apps, handling multiple video streams in the household, etc.) and have a few other features and limited ROM that can NOT be physically updated by physciall changing it out. Any improvements or upgrades are all about the NEXT generation DVR.

No proper comparison can be made between the capabilities of DVR's and PC's. And FWIW, I have never found the server PC at all appealing becaue I just don't want a PC on 24/7 along with its big footprint and big fan. The form factor and less noisy--in most cases--and even less energy consuming DVR STB is far more appealing. I love my PC's for all the OTHER things it can do.

Last edited:
The DVR Set-Top-Box has a PRIMARY function with limited, custom software (a lot of the processing power is used for Whole Home activity of the thousands of instructions per second for juggling quite a bit of data and launching apps, handling multiple video streams in the household, etc.) ...
Well, let's see. The Wally does not have any of that Whole Home functionality, nor does it have anywhere near as many multiple video streams to have to handle. Therefore, the Wally should be able to support a lot more apps than the Hopper 3, right?

I checked my H3 it has U539 dated 4/17/20. I also noticed that playback of a DVR recording has the same problems that my HWS had. When fast forwarding in a recording hit play and it jumps 20 minutes into the recording. I really hate that it is frustrating. I thought the H3 doesn't do that?!?! Should I be trying to download the new software or leave well enough alone?

I checked my H3 it has U539 dated 4/17/20. I also noticed that playback of a DVR recording has the same problems that my HWS had. When fast forwarding in a recording hit play and it jumps 20 minutes into the recording. I really hate that it is frustrating. I thought the H3 doesn't do that?!?! Should I be trying to download the new software or leave well enough alone?
Was this a recent replacement receiver / upgrade? (In other words, did the H3 come already loaded with U539, or was that a typo in your post, and you meant U549? I certainly hope that Dish isn't still pushing out software that old.)

If you had the problem with your old receiver, and the replacement still does the same thing, then it may not be a problem with the software per se. It may be something else in your system / installation that is causing the problem, or some weird glitch with the DVR authorization on your account. I detailed in a recent thread the problems that I have been having with DVR functionality on my Wally. Getting a replacement Wally did not fix the issues. However, other Wally users with the same software (such as my sister) do not have any of the problems that I have had.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Was this a recent replacement receiver / upgrade? (In other words, did the H3 come already loaded with U539, or was that a typo in your post, and you meant U549? I certainly hope that Dish isn't still pushing out software that old.)

If you had the problem with your old receiver, and the replacement still does the same thing, then it may not be a problem with the software per se. It may be something else in your system / installation that is causing the problem, or some weird glitch with the DVR authorization on your account. I detailed in a recent thread the problems that I have been having with DVR functionality on my Wally. Getting a replacement Wally did not fix the issues. However, other Wally users with the same software (such as my sister) do not have any of the problems that I have had.
539 is the production software on the ones from the factory, so it seems he was recently installed

Reactions: pattykay
Anyone notice the Bluetooth Icon is gone under settings. I use headphones at times and I have not found any way to use bluetooth with he H3 since the update to 549. Anyone figure out how to use bluetooth?

Anyone notice the Bluetooth Icon is gone under settings. I use headphones at times and I have not found any way to use bluetooth with he H3 since the update to 549. Anyone figure out how to use bluetooth?
Its there for me. I was using my headset last night. I just looked and still there. Maybe try a reboot.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay

Yes a new install upgrade. New dish, LNB, H3 and 2 4K Joeys replaced 2 HWS and 1 Joey. The only thing that is the same is the coax from the roof to the hub, and from the hub to the equipment. The TV's are all the same too. If that software is so old, will my H3 update on its own or should I try to force it somehow?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts