New Sony 34 inch XBR CRT available for pre-order

Status
Not open for further replies.

maljabir

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
It's finally here! A bargain Sony XBR CRT!

Just saw this on the Sonystyle website. They are accepting pre-orders for their new, top of the line CRT HDTV set, the KD-34XBR970. Follow this link for more info: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=tv_34%22to36%22TVs&ProductSKU=KD34XBR970&TabName=specs&var2=

This is the successor to the fantastic XBR960. List price is $1199.99!!!!

Glancing through the owner's manuals for both TVs (available for download from Sonystyle), the following features that were available on the XBR960 have been removed or changed on the XBR970:

1. CableCard (removed
2. Optical digital audio (replaced with coaxial digital audio)
3. iLink aka IEEE 1934 or FireWire (removed)
4. Memory Stick slot (removed)
5. Control S connector (removed)
6. 10 watt x 2 speakers (was 7.5 Watt x 2 + 10 Watt subwoofer on the XBR960)

There's been a lot of speculation as to how good the picture tube is going to be on AVS Forums because Sony has shut down all of their tube manufacturing plants in the United States, so the tubes for the XBR970 will be probably be manufactured by Sony in China or another country in Southeast Asia.

I have been anxiously awaiting the announcement of this set as I am looking to upgrade my setup. If the picture quality is as good as the XBR960, then it's a steal at $1199. Wow! $1199 for the BEST HD set available.

Anybody else as excited as I am? CRT enthusiasts, chime in with your thoughts!

I think a lot of folks out there still don't realize that the CRT is still the superior picture format, even as its presence shrinks from the market place. This is VERY exciting news. May be a case of grabbing it while we can as plasma and other competing formats will doubtless increase in public popularity even if their quality won't surpass or even match that of the CRT in the forseeable future. I have a 73" Mitzibishi HD Diamond rear projection downstairs and a 40" direct view analog upstairs. The downstairs HD set is terrific. Buy lying in bed upstairs watching that bright, no fall-off 40" picture still knocks me out after all these years.

Watching SD content on a 1080i/p LCD HDTV actualy makes the picture worse then on a standard SD analog TV. Does a HD CRT TV have the same problem? Is it worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)