New Star Wars Battlefront game by EA

The full game is 40. The Beta is about 11, assuming Origin isn't lying to me right now.
bf.png

The Battlefront Beta is now open. I just started the download to my Xbox One via Smartglass in case I feel like checking out the console version in addition to PC.

I got a chance to play a couple hours of the beta last night and I'm really liking it so far. I suppose that is to be expected because I love Battlefield 4's huge conquest maps. Star Wars Battlefront will feel instantly familiar to people like myself who have put a ton of hours into the Battlefield franchise. It's not just a cheap Star Wars skin mod for Battlefield 4 either though. The game nails the Star Wars feel pretty well in my opinion.

The thing it takes from the Battlefield franchise is the chaos that comes when you put 40 people into a huge map with vehicles and turrets blowing everything up around you. It feels 100% Star Wars (and awesome) when you jump in a snow speeder and successfully wrap your tow cable around an AT-AT that is about to reach it's objective and cause your team to lose. This doesn't happen all the time because empire players in the AT-AT and ships make it tough to get close enough to pull this off. Most of the time you will just want to fly around shooting stuff.

Here are my complaints so far. First, the game is locked to 40 players even on PC where Battlefield has been allowing 64 players for years. Playing with 40 still feels chaotic but I wish it was still 64. Maybe if no one told me there were 24 fewer players in these matches I wouldn't notice but because I know about the difference I can't help being disappointed by it.

My other issue is that the balance on the 40 player Walker Assault mode is terrible. In the couple hours I played last night I never once saw the rebels win this mode. Luckily you switch sides every round and the game is still fun win I'm losing. This is something that has to be fixed before full release though. It's fine to have some balance issues during beta but no one is going to stick with a game for months when everyone knows which side is going to win based on what map you are playing.

So far, I really like what I see. I like the Battlefield formula and I like Star Wars so seeing the two combined definitely works for me. I loved this franchise on the original Xbox and I was excited as soon as a new version was announced. Rainbow 6's recent beta showed me that the kind of gameplay they went for just isn't really for me. Unlike that beta Battlefront's confirmed my hopes that I will have fun with something like this. Maybe things will change as I continue to play it over the weekend but as of now I'll be watching Green Man Gaming for discounts on the pre-order. If nothing else I can use their 23% off code to get it for $46.20.

With Fallout 4 and Battlefront hitting a week apart from each other this November I think it's safe to say that my time with Destiny will be coming to an end soon. Actually my time with my consoles in general is going to be limited soon since these will both be PC games for me.

Battlefront has a $50 season pass, because of course it does

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/12/9512121/star-wars-battlefront-season-pass-modes

I think Jim Sterling said it best..

Not surprising. Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, and the last several COD games have been charging $50 for their season pass for years. That's why I was a little surprised every news outlet jumped over Arkham Knight for their $40 season pass so hard when most of them never said a word about Battlefield and COD charging more than that.

Since this is a DICE game it makes sense that they would use a strategy similar to the Battlefield franchise. It doesn't really matter to me. I usually find that the base game is fine for me. If the season pass has a nice discount at some point I'll grab it but there are usually plenty of maps in the retail release.

Well it turns out that Battlefront will deviate from Battlefield games in one rather significant way for PC Gamers...

Well it turns out that Battlefront will deviate from Battlefield games in one rather significant way for PC Gamers...

From what I heard there is no in game chat on the console version either. It's a weird choice but I guess you have to use party chat on console. As we found out when we played Left 4 Dead last week, there isn't a way to do party chat in Steam and it sounds like Origin is missing that feature too. That must be why so many PC gamers use Skype, Google Hangouts, Mumble, Team Speak or other third party voice chat software. If everyone is on Windows 10 Xbox Live party chat on PC is an option too.

Battlefield 3/4 didn't have full team chat on PC or console either. Instead you were put into squads of 4 that you could chat with. I guess they thought that a team chat with 32 people on each team would be to chaotic.

Battlefront doesn't really use the squad system since the teams are a little smaller (20 players). They do have an option to party up with friends to get into the same game and be on the same team though. They at least should have included voice chat for when you are in an in game party.

Edit: I was right. There is no in game voice chat on console either.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10...ium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ign/all+(IGN+All)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10...nt page)&utm_content=19&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Over 9 million people participated in the beta. If it wasn't already clear, this is going to be a huge holiday seller. I originally thought it would be a toss up between it and Fallout 4 for #1 on the Holiday sales list. I think Fallout 4 will probably be the better game but I'm not sure it will be able to keep up with the Star Wars juggernaut especially with a new movie coming out around the same time.

It actually ran surprisingly well too. The framerate was good and I didn't see any bugs or network issues in the time I spent with it. It was a much better beta period than Rainbow 6 which basically didn't even work on consoles for the first 2 days of the beta.

I saw that. Wish they had a Xbox version of the console.

Turns out that Battlefront has a Darth Vader mini-game you can play while you wait for the game to fully install (On the Xbox One at least.)

That's cool. Mine will be here Tuesday when I get home hopefully. Amazon had a special price for Prime members.

Last edited:
Reviews are rolling in. The general consensus seems to be that the game really looks the part and is exciting, at least for the first couple of hours or so. After that many people have stated that there's not much going for the game. Which of course leads to more anger towards the Season Pass, as the base game is a rather shallow offering and for the "real" package you need to pay the price of nearly TWO GAMES. If the gameplay is as shallow as people claim it is, then a SP may be too late unless they fast forward a GOTY edition to entice people to not forget about the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3t3xhf/star_wars_battlefront_review_thread/

Reviews are rolling in. The general consensus seems to be that the game really looks the part and is exciting, at least for the first couple of hours or so. After that many people have stated that there's not much going for the game. Which of course leads to more anger towards the Season Pass, as the base game is a rather shallow offering and for the "real" package you need to pay the price of nearly TWO GAMES. If the gameplay is as shallow as people claim it is, then a SP may be too late unless they fast forward a GOTY edition to entice people to not forget about the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3t3xhf/star_wars_battlefront_review_thread/

I think that's just the nature of multiplayer games. Most of them are fun for me for a few hours but very few hold my attention for weeks or months. You either enjoy the online competitive shooter aspects of it or you don't and that is still true when you wrap the game around a hugely popular movie franchise.

I played at least 6 or 7 hours during the beta and the game scratched the same itch that Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 3 before it did for me. I still go back to Battlefield 4 from time to time and have fun with it whenever I do. The big chaotic matches with more people running around than any other game I play and vehicles blowing everything up around me is just a different experience than most other games.

I will buy Battlefront when I see a decent price on it. It just didn't make sense to pay near full price I just started playing Fallout 4. Plus if the Battlefield series is any indication this game will be on sale quite often.

As for the Season Pass, I don't usually feel the same urge other people do to own the "real" package for every game, especially online multiplayer games. I play a ton of COD multiplayer every year and I never buy the season pass.

If a season pass doesn't have compelling story content I typically don't waste my money. They are almost always overpriced when you look at the dollars per map ratio and compare it to the base game's dollars per map ratio.

I really think that if people would get over the idea that they have to own every piece of content ever added to every game they play they would be much better off. Most DLC just isn't that great. If it was an essential part of the game they would have had to include it in the game. The pricing schemes often don't make sense compared to the full game's price and they wouldn't have to worry about outrageous season pass pricing if they just opted out. Not only that but if people stopped buying all these season passes publishers would stop making them for every game.

I played Battlefield 4 for quite a while without the season pass and I don't feel that it hurt my enjoyment of the game at all. When I finally did buy it Origin was having a sale on the premium edition upgrade for like $12 instead of the $50 it started at.

Now I'm not saying don't buy a season pass if you want it. If you really love Battlefront and you want all the maps immediately, by all means go out and buy it. Just don't preorder the season pass before you even start playing the game. There isn't really any reason to buy it until the first DLC is actually released. You may not even be playing the game anymore by the time DLC starts to hit. I know how that goes because it has happened to me in the past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)