New Star Wars Battlefront game by EA

I tried to apply but I'm not sure it went through. I went to their website and clicked the application button. It had me log into my Origin account and once I did that I was immediately taken to a website that says "Sorry but you do not have access to the Star Wars Battlefront closed alpha."

Guess I'll wait and see what happens.

I got the same message. Apparently you needed to be signed up for their email list or something first. Whatever. I can wait until November.

I got the same message. Apparently you needed to be signed up for their email list or something first. Whatever. I can wait until November.

There is a good chance of a open beta before launch too. Battlefield 4 and Hardline both had pretty big betas.

Exactly, and I think I'd rather be part of a beta than an alpha. Still, is it really an "alpha" if you're letting the public participate? It used to be that alphas were internal while betas were (or could be) external. Now I feel like Alpha just means "Really not final code" and Beta means "Closer to final code." I feel like it's a perversion and redefining of the expressions.

In an interview with EA's Peter Moore (who looks startlingly like an older version of the Sinister Minister) he said this about why there's no dedicated SP campaign (his text in italics)

I was more thinking about Battlefront with more crude algebra, in that, triple-A games with single-player traditionally sell better than those with multiplayer.

So, there's two phenomena with that statement. The first is that yes, you might be right. The second is that very few people actually play the single-player on these kinds of games. That's what the data points to.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/eas-new-empire-an-interview-with-peter-moore/1100-6429703/

In an interview with EA's Peter Moore (who looks startlingly like an older version of the Sinister Minister) he said this about why there's no dedicated SP campaign (his text in italics)

I was more thinking about Battlefront with more crude algebra, in that, triple-A games with single-player traditionally sell better than those with multiplayer.

So, there's two phenomena with that statement. The first is that yes, you might be right. The second is that very few people actually play the single-player on these kinds of games. That's what the data points to.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/eas-new-empire-an-interview-with-peter-moore/1100-6429703/

From my experience that is true. My friends who buy Call of Duty every year never even launch the single player campaign a single time. I usually start them and then never finish. That even happened to me with Advanced Warfare this year. I actually liked the campaign I was playing but something else came along and took my attention.

At the same time I have prestiged in Advanced Warfare 3 or 4 times so it's not like I haven't put the hours in with that game to beat it several times over.

I think part of the issue is that while what you're saying is true, there's undeniably a market for people like me who focus on SP and often won't touch MP until SP is done. I also think that Moore's thinking is somewhat inaccurate because it's not that the majority of people in these scenarios don't play SP, I think that he's just looking at Battlefield data. And the reason that most people don't play BF SP is because BF SP hasn't been good in God knows how long. I can only go by 3 and 4 and I can say that neither held my attention for more than the length of a standard movie, while the CoD games have been at least decent (I can't speak for Ghosts but I don't see myself picking that up.) A single player campaign basically makes a game timeless. I can theoretically play any CoD game until the end of time, but eventually games like Titanfall and Evolve are going to "go away" and be shut off. And let's not act like Star Wars can't have a good SP campaign, even in a setting like Battlefront.

I'm also willing to bet that a lot of this has to do with EA shooting to hit that release window to correspond with the upcoming movie. They likely had to make sacrifices to hit that window, and a SP campaign would EASILY add another full year to production. BF is running on a relatively short production schedule. EA got the rights in May of 2013 and production likely didn't start before that, so they've had to come up with a full AAA game in 2.5 years, which is a lot to ask of a developer, especially on newly released hardware that they were not accustomed to (PS4/One.) Had they not had this restriction, I'm willing to bet some sort of campaign would have been fleshed out, because not having one hurts sales, which no company wants to do in any way especially in today's market.

It is an open beta:

Now that we have officially announced the beta, most of you are just itching to know how you can get in. Well, we're excited to say that the beta is open to everyone! Get ready for the beta release date and also make sure your system is ready to download the beta the moment it goes live. Keep your eyes peeled for myself and many other developers during the live beta as we have some cool stuff planned.

It is an open beta:

Now that we have officially announced the beta, most of you are just itching to know how you can get in. Well, we're excited to say that the beta is open to everyone! Get ready for the beta release date and also make sure your system is ready to download the beta the moment it goes live. Keep your eyes peeled for myself and many other developers during the live beta as we have some cool stuff planned.

Guess my reading comprehension isn't so good. Last I knew the beta was only open to people who pre-ordered and a small number of people who were invited to register. When I tried the old registration link a while back it said I was not eligible. I'm glad to see that they opened it up to everyone.

Edit: The fact that it's an open beta means I can try it on PC but still play on Xbox One if people want to party up and play together.

Since there seems to be a pretty high level of interest for this game on Satellite Guys I think we should all download the beta and team up when it comes out. It's free so everyone should be able to get involved.

I am glad it is open, even though I already pre-ordered it.

Just a friendly reminder that the beta starts on Thursday. Also it looks like I won't be able to participate since I'll be out of the state starting on the 9th.

In more important news, no microtransactions for BF!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142719-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Wont-Have-Microtransactions

Nice. I'll definitely give it a shot. I need to see if this game is fun enough to warrant a purchase close to release when I'm still hooked on Destiny and Fallout 4 is just around the corner.

I'm probably going to end up either picking up Battlefront or Halo 5 at launch but not both. This beta will probably be the deciding factor for which I one I pick.

FYI: If you want to play the Beta on PC you can preload the game NOW so that you're not fighting with the rest of the world tomorrow. Do it within Origin.

FYI: If you want to play the Beta on PC you can preload the game NOW so that you're not fighting with the rest of the world tomorrow. Do it within Origin.

Good idea. If the beta is really 40GB it's not going to be fun sitting around and waiting a couple hours for it to download. I'll run the download when I get home tonight so it's ready when I want to play it tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)