New SW L3.25 for 721

I'd probably switch to a VIP622 without much hassle if they didn't want to charge me ~200 bucks for the privilege of renting one and/or they'd let me exchange my 721 + 200$ to own the VIP622 instead of leasing.

My 721 just works, but leasing would only be of interest to me if I didn't have to pay a 5$ a month rental fee. I'll pay a DVR fee or a Lease fee, I'd just rather not have to pay both. As it goes I'd have to pay 5$ a month per VIP211 I'd need too.

I don't view it as being charged fees to death. I just view it as I have a better arrangement with my owned 721 + 2 leased 311s + 1 owned 311.

Seems to me they do low-level maintenance for the models by low salary coder who don't understand the whole system and do monkey job of patching holes.

I might as well jump in and say that my 721 guide is messed up too. Funny thing was that I had no problems (that I was aware of) until yesterday.

For those of us that don't want to switch to a fee based receiver, I'm sure they'll institute something like a "bill fee" for us. We'll have to pay a fee to pay our bill. A no-win situation for us for sure. You can't pay your bill without paying the fee and you can't pay the fee without paying your bill. The CSR's will be more confused than usual and we'll be the ones pulling out hair out.

We're going to end up paying a fee of some kind before all this is over. Hey, maybe a software upload fee. Yes, it doesn't work, but you still have to pay!

I have been dealing with the dreaded "guide bug problem" for weeks now. it started with the schedule being about 3-4 days only in advance and by yesterday, I couldn't see shows that were 45 minutes ahead. I tried the reset with not much luck and when I treid to move forward in the guide, it asked me if I wanted to reload and I said YES. That choice unfortunately led to nothing and 2 hours later, the same reloading screen was on the monitor. I did learn that if you UNPLUG the PVR 721 unit, and re-plug it, it will force a reload. Not an ideal solution but at least it works.

When I called DISH to complain, they said that they were aware of the problem, and that it was being looked at. the fellow on the phone suggested that the more people who called in, the more chace that they would see that they were spending too much money answering customers questions and it might be better to just fix the problem. Who knows? I for one am part of the conspiracy that thinks that they did it on purpose to force us to pay more fees. Since we all set up our systems with DISH saying the the guide was part of the deal. Perhaps it might represent a breech of contract on thier part and a class action suit. Anyway, it really SUCKS and makes it difficult to use the equipment.

When I called DISH to complain, they said that they were aware of the problem, and that it was being looked at. the fellow on the phone suggested that the more people who called in, the more chace that they would see that they were spending too much money answering customers questions and it might be better to just fix the problem. Who knows? I for one am part of the conspiracy that thinks that they did it on purpose to force us to pay more fees.
Like all conspiracies, it's false because it requires people to have 48 hours per day of time to make intricate secret arrangements.

In reality, the situation is simply that you can't fix software problems any more quickly than they are fixed, in the exact same way that 9 women cannot make a baby in one month.

If you hired someone today to work on the problem, it would take them 6 months to get to the point where they understood the 721's code enough to find the problem. Certainly the people who wrote the L3.24 code would find the problem more quickly.

I think that the E* execs and engineering team all have ViP622's in their own homes, and they are thinking about the 722 and 822 (or whatever they will call them), they are not thinking about the 721's that they used to use several years ago - any more than any of you give any thought to model 4000 receivers.

Note that Microsoft just stopped supporting Windows ME (and 98 before that). Technology companies have no interest - from any point of view - in supporting "old" stuff. Not a conspiracy - just a natural lack of interest.

Note that Microsoft just stopped supporting Windows ME (and 98 before that). Technology companies have no interest - from any point of view - in supporting "old" stuff. Not a conspiracy - just a natural lack of interest.
With that in mind, how do we convince them to quit enhancing the 721?

You are confused.
You must not have paid your bill clarification fee.
LOL at this one. When the fee for the the DPP (DHPP?) increased exponentially, I called to cancel it. It took 3, maybe 4 months for the bill to settle down. There were charges and credits including partial months that were indecipherable to me. It really is no wonder that they're confused down there.

L326 downloaded and got stuck for about two hours.

I did the unplug reboot and it initialized to a two - three day guide using the "Retrieving Program Information from Satellite" screen (which now kind of works as you can see the bar graph's progression).

It did NOT d/l the nine day guide. I'm hoping that comes down after a few more hours...stay tuned.

EDIT: WOW, we may have a winner here! I got the nine day guide after just a few more minutes. Now to see if it auto-updates and keeps the nine days rolling.

I have 326 and still have the 9 day guide. No problems.
I think you were lucky this time. :)

Actually, this is one of a very few times that I've had a problem with any of my receivers, but this one was bad. Since recordings aren't name-based, you really need the guide to set new recordings--and a number of shows just started up.

My 721 took an extra day to get 326, but I was glad to see the 9-day guide back!

Mine Working Good, So Far

I am afraid to declare it fixed but I think it is. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Mine as not messed up since L326

Okay, mine's been working great. After 5 weeks of single tuner until 3.25, then failure to update the guide until 3.26, it's now working completely.

Can we start a petition of 721 owners to have Dish LEAVE US ALONE! Every 721 is owned and out of warranty at this point, and they should keep their grubby little programmers off of our boxes, or let us decline upgrades at least.

I don't want to go through another 2 months of problems while Dish fixes what they broke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)