New Switch To SD Feature Added During Bad Weather

Why not switch to the hd stream over the internet? The infrastructure is in place, the mobile apps and website show the HD feeds without issue.
I was just thinking that too

The next option should be to tune in to the video stream is the user has a decent broadband connection.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was just thinking that too

The next option should be to tune in to the video stream is the user has a decent broadband connection.

They don't have all the same channels on AT&T TV, and IIRC they are HEVC encoded which only the C61K can handle. There's also the problem that internet streaming runs behind satellite (to help mitigate issues from temporary hiccups) so it wouldn't exactly be seamless.

Reactions: comp9 and dtv757
Why not switch to the hd stream over the internet? The infrastructure is in place, the mobile apps and website show the HD feeds without issue.
That would work for alot of people, but here in the boonies speeds are slow, and same goes for caps.

Reactions: dtv757
That would work for alot of people, but here in the boonies speeds are slow, and same goes for caps.
Right some folks are not blessed with fiber broadband but stll this SD thing and possible a internet backup are a step in the right direction.

I forgot all about the SD duplicates for a while there .
Also they moved the Spanish channels (400 range) to another sat and now I get rain fade on those channels. On the other bird I rarely lost those even in heavy rain storms.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ejb1980
Dish has been doing it for years
Although I never understood the purpose or any advantage of Dish Network's HD-to-SD auto-changeover feature.

Since both feeds operate on the same DBS band and will therefore be affected by the same level of atmospheric attenuation at any particular time.

So what will automatically switching to the SD duplicate feed accomplish if the original HD one experiences a rain-fade?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Although I never understood the purpose or any advantage of Dish Network's HD-to-SD auto-changeover feature.

Since both feeds operate on the same DBS band and will therefore be affected by the same level of atmospheric attenuation at any particular time.

So what will automatically switching to the SD duplicate feed accomplish if the original HD one experiences a rain-fade?

Different satellite

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Different satellite

Once upon a time...dish had the super dish...If I remember right it was a different band..the 105.5 slot if I remember right..thats probably why they did it

SD uses less bandwidth so it's less affected by rain fade.

That's not true. The amount of bandwidth has nothing to do with whether rain fade affects it, it depends on the amount of modulation used by the transponder (and the frequency, though Dish is all Ku so that doesn't matter for them)

If you have a 1 Mbps SD channel on a transponder with the same modulation as a 30 Mbps 4K channel, both Ka and both on the same satellite (as is the case with Directv) they will be affected by rain fade at the exact same time.

Different satellite

Ok thanks, never thought of that.

And that might make a difference then ...

Or to put it another way, the Dish auto-switch system is the satellite equivalent of "space diversity" reception with the SD duplicate feeds of each arc on satellites 9 or 18 degrees away from the satellites carrying the original HD feeds.. ...

I had some rain and cloudy weather a few days ago. It asked me on screen if I wanted to switch to SD mode on my HR44. I selected yes and the station i was watching stayed on. No problems at all.

With the superdish...dish had similar issues DirecTV has with ka and ku...but they moved away from that

But the purpose of the upcoming SD transition is to end such wasteful duplication.

So why would DIRECTV now duplicate a subset of core HD channels on both Ku 101W and Ka at 99 and 103W. And not just place the core HD channels exclusively on 101W after the SD transition?

The reason for HD Duplicates at 101 is because a bunch of DirecTV subscribers like me (Boater) Most of DirecTV subs that are have service at their RV/Boats only have access to KU Band

Reactions: dtv757
The reason for HD Duplicates at 101 is because a bunch of DirecTV subscribers like me (Boater) Most of DirecTV subs that are have service at their RV/Boats only have access to KU Band
I realize this ...

But the point I was making to the other poster is there is no need to keep the core HD channels on the Ka band any longer once they are moved to 101 Ku after the SD transition.

Why not just boost the power so we never have rain fade.
Both FCC power level restrictions as more transmit power from the satellites means greater potential for interference to other satellites and ground stations. ...

Plus rain-fades are hugh chasms of signal attenuation. Therefore the amounts of satellite transmit power required to assure they are always overcome by merely boosting transmitter power would be enormous. Far too much for the power capabilities of a satellite.