New Switch To SD Feature Added During Bad Weather

With the superdish...dish had similar issues DirecTV has with ka and ku...but they moved away from that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I really don't see how the old Superdish was relevant to this feature ....

As IIRC, it was a dual band dish, but both bands were right next to each other in spectrum. With both the Superdish 105 and 121 models receiving on the FSS Ku band between 11.7-12.2 GHz from 105 or 121W.

And the BSS Ku band between 12.2-12.7 GHz from 110 and 119W.

So the rain-fade susceptibility should have been about the same for two adjacent Ku bands like that. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I really don't see how the old Superdish was relevant to this feature ....

As IIRC, it was a dual band dish, but both bands were right next to each other in spectrum. With both the Superdish 105 and 121 models receiving on the FSS Ku band between 11.7-12.2 GHz from 105 or 121W.

And the BSS Ku band between 12.2-12.7 GHz from 110 and 119W.

So the rain-fade susceptibility should have been about the same for two adjacent Ku bands like that. ...

I just remember it existed on eastern arc too but disappeared when dish dropped sd duplicates...i dunno about western arc...but eastern arc they are pretty much gone...I seem to remember a wing dish for some superdish users to get locals

I just remember it existed on eastern arc too but disappeared when dish dropped sd duplicates...i dunno about western arc...but eastern arc they are pretty much gone...I seem to remember a wing dish for some superdish users to get locals

Superdishes on the eastern arc too?

Again from what I can recall, the SD was either the 105 model aimed at 105W with a 110W DBS LNB integrated into the same housing as the 105W FSS LNB. And had a 119W LNB mounted outboard.

Or the 121 model aimed at 121W with a 119W DBS LNB integrated in the same housing as the 121W FSS LNB. And had a 110W LNB mounted outboard.

So both models only operated on the WA 110/119 for receiving DBS service. ...

I have a foggy memory...superdish didnt work everywhere but when I first got dish eastern arc didnt exist...I had what they call western arc without the 129 but with a wing dish for 61.5...dish has had a bunch of configurations over the years...very easy to get confused...t

I have a foggy memory...superdish didnt work everywhere but when I first got dish eastern arc didnt exist...I had what they call western arc without the 129 but with a wing dish for 61.5...dish has had a bunch of configurations over the years...very easy to get confused...
I was just going to say, talk about a lot of confusion. How many satellites did they have?

Does DTV use Flex Adaptive Code Modulation? I read that helps with bad weather.

No, you can't change the modulation in response to weather on broadcast satellite. That kind of thing is only possible for private links where there is some excess capacity to fall back on.

Even if you do, the effect only amounts to a few db, maybe a dozen at most if you devoted a whole transponder to a single HD channel. Not nearly enough to prevent rain fade.

Yeah, DIRECTV as does any TV broadcaster I suppose, use "Constant Coding and Modulation" (or "CCM").

Not "Adaptive Coding and Modulation" (or "ACM") such as in satellite point-to-point (or limited point-to-muti-point) link applications such as Satellite News Gathering and two way IP systems.

Just curious did DTV also go 1080p up-conversion on all channels?
Nope, never did, and most likely never will ....

Still 1080i at 30 fps is their highest format (excluding their few UHD channels of course) ...

The only 1080p formats are some PPV channels and VOD downloads. And even those are only at 24 fps which actually makes them a slightly lower format and bandwidth requirement than the standard 1080i at 30 fps.

Nope, never did, and most likely never will ....

Still 1080i at 30 fps is their highest format (excluding their few UHD channels of course) ...

The only 1080p formats are some PPV channels and VOD downloads. And even those are only at 24 fps which actually makes them a slightly lower format and bandwidth requirement than the standard 1080i at 30 fps.

The PQ looks really good on my Sony 65” x930e. I know some will say it’s in my head but I notice a difference. :)

Reactions: whitewolf8214

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)