New Technology May Force TV Ad Viewing

Mark Bender

Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Anyone see this yet? Imagine being FORCED to watch commercials. Remember that the only purpose for TV (at least from the networks viewpoint) is to deliver viewers to advertisers.

Apr 19, 9:51 PM (ET)

By MAY WONG

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - In this era of easy ad skipping with TiVo-like video recorders, could television viewers one day be forced to watch commercials with a system that prevents channel switching?

Yes, according to Royal Philips Electronics. A patent application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office says researchers of the Netherland-based consumer electronics company have created a technology that could let broadcasters freeze a channel during a commercial, so viewers wouldn't be able to avoid it.

The pending patent, published on March 30, says the feature would be implemented on a program-by-program basis. Devices that could carry the technology would be a television or a set-top-box.

Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters a fee.

On Wednesday, company officials issued a statement that noted the technology also enables the opposite: allowing viewers to watch television without advertising. The intention was never to force viewers to watch ads against their will, the company said of the technology.

"We developed a system where the viewer can choose, at the beginning of a movie, to either watch the movie without ads, or watch the movie with ads," the company stated. "It is up to the viewer to take this decision, and up to the broadcaster to offer the various services."

The company also said it had no plans to use the technology in any of its products.

Philips wanted to provide the technology and seek the patent only as part of the broader developments within the industry, Philips spokesman Andre Manning said.

theater_scene.gif

They already do it on some DVD's.

If it goes to TV, I'll just head for the kitchen until I hear it come back to my program.

I thought that was the purpose of commercials anyway, to make a pitstop and refuel.. :p

Disney is notorious about forcing you to watch previews on their older DVD's (main part of the DVD spec I hated).
But short of forcing a law through (which the courts would likely kill), no set-top manufactorer is going to implement that into their DVR. They already have the capability to do it, but none have.

The difference between men and women...

I can watch an hour long recorded network show (CSI, Medium, etc.) and receive full enjoyment from the show in less than 40 minutes (30 minutes if the show isn't that good). On the other hand, my wife can watch the same recorded show and it will take her an hour and a half to view it when she has control of the remote...she replays dialog, watches all the stupid commercials, and replays the stupid commercials that appeal to her (cute, cuddly, etc).

Also, women love those marathon 5-6 minutes commercial breaks (i.e. Lifetime Channel) since they can take care of a variety of things during the breaks and STILL have time to watch two minutes of commercials. The remote is only for rewinding...not skipping commercials nor changing channels.

I say leave the current system alone....the DVR actually causes women to watch MORE commercials. Hell, perhaps the broadcasters can sell commercials that are targeted at women for a premium since they will watch them over, and over, and over again.

Women and remotes do not mix...:rolleyes:

They already force commercials by "convenient PRODUCT PLACEMENT" in the shows that are in prime time and movies too. Sometimes they are subtle and sometimes obvious but there nonetheless.
The reason I quit watching NASCAR races is because they have turned into ONE BIG ADVERTISEMENT and other sports are getting that way too.

I will exit my soap box now ....... LOL

BryanSR

charper1 said:
This will never fly; as it infringes on the end user's rights, and invades the home.
I don't know of any right given by the government or God that protects us from commercials.

We are seeing more ad placement in the shows itself and will probably start seeing a bit more of that in the future along with a advertisement logo or banner on the bottom or top of the screen with ads scrolling. Some channels might start doing this (or some new channels) to provide their channel for less to the satellite/cable companies to get more views of the advertisements. A version of that channel could also be offered without the ads for a higher fee.

riffjim4069 said:
I say leave the current system alone....the DVR actually causes women to watch MORE commercials. Hell, perhaps the broadcasters can sell commercials that are targeted at women for a premium since they will watch them over, and over, and over again.

Maybe your wife - mine skips the commercials with our DirecTivojust as quickly as I do. I don't think she EVER watches a commercial on recorded shows.

riffjim4069 said:
...Hell, perhaps the broadcasters can sell commercials that are targeted at women for a premium since they will watch them over, and over, and over again.

riffjim - They already have that, aka "HSN" and all its clones! My wife would probably pay extra for those channels if they were offered as premiums !!

The comment about women and remotes would probably be true in my household, except that I get ahold of it first and wear it out surfing...!

Stargazer said:
We are seeing more ad placement in the shows itself and will probably start seeing a bit more of that in the future along with a advertisement logo or banner on the bottom or top of the screen with ads scrolling. Some channels might start doing this (or some new channels) to provide their channel for less to the satellite/cable companies to get more views of the advertisements....
I could really support the full time scroll or banner at the screen top or bottom as a way to reduce content fees and/or reduce the number of "time out" commercials. I'd just zoom out a bit and place all that stuff where it belongs - in "ignore" land...!

mikew said:
I don't know of any right given by the government or God that protects us from commercials.

How they interact with our personal property, in our homes, without our consent, is sure to have been addressed at some point in the last 20 years. Airing a TV ad and leaving us the ability to tune away or turn it off is OK, but locking the TV set out so you can't is overstepping their authority and infringement of our rights and personal property. There is precedent already that I am sure can be applied to companies attempting to take over or maliciously use and/or lock out your PC or telephone without your consent.

Yeah, this will never fly. But then again, I never thought years ago that the tobacco Nazis would be able to ban smoking in privately owned restaurants and clubs.

and shortly after that is approved, they'll also prevent you from turning down the volume (they already have commercials much louder!) and have a sensor to detect if you're leaving the room or if you don't have your eyes wide open and focused on the TV during commercials!!! :devil:

charper1 said:
How they interact with our personal property, in our homes, without our consent, is sure to have been addressed at some point in the last 20 years. Airing a TV ad and leaving us the ability to tune away or turn it off is OK, but locking the TV set out so you can't is overstepping their authority and infringement of our rights and personal property. There is precedent already that I am sure can be applied to companies attempting to take over or maliciously use and/or lock out your PC or telephone without your consent.

Mark Bender said:
Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters a fee.

I thought one of the reasons we pay for Tivo is to avoid commercials.

Mark Bender said:
Anyone see this yet? Imagine being FORCED to watch commercials. Remember that the only purpose for TV (at least from the networks viewpoint) is to deliver viewers to advertisers.

Apr 19, 9:51 PM (ET)

By MAY WONG

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - In this era of easy ad skipping with TiVo-like video recorders, could television viewers one day be forced to watch commercials with a system that prevents channel switching?

Yes, according to Royal Philips Electronics. A patent application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office says researchers of the Netherland-based consumer electronics company have created a technology that could let broadcasters freeze a channel during a commercial, so viewers wouldn't be able to avoid it.

The pending patent, published on March 30, says the feature would be implemented on a program-by-program basis. Devices that could carry the technology would be a television or a set-top-box.

On Wednesday, company officials issued a statement that noted the technology also enables the opposite: allowing viewers to watch television without advertising. The intention was never to force viewers to watch ads against their will, the company said of the technology.

"We developed a system where the viewer can choose, at the beginning of a movie, to either watch the movie without ads, or watch the movie with ads," the company stated. "It is up to the viewer to take this decision, and up to the broadcaster to offer the various services."

The company also said it had no plans to use the technology in any of its products.

Philips wanted to provide the technology and seek the patent only as part of the broader developments within the industry, Philips spokesman Andre Manning said.

My response to this would be a boycott and letter /email campaign to every advertiser that signs on to this nonsense.
The easiest way to scare the crap out of an advertiser is to let them know we will NEVER buy their product..
Heck that dopey Reverend Wildmon, head of the American Family Council gets companies to pull ads all the time..Why not us?
IMO this will die on the vine....
Tell me I can't change channels? Screw you, I'll shut the thing off and read a book or go outside....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)