New to Cband, what do I need..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Ok I have never setup a cband dish before. I have years of experience in KU and KA setup on an offset dish. I have Specrum analyzers, signal meters, ect. My wife an I are making a bid on a house that has a big back yard and you know whats the first thing going up in that yard! You got it!

I want to do C / KU on DVB and the possablity to add 4dtv later
8 foot min, but the larger the better :)
The ablity to drive the dish with a pansat 9200 would be an added benifit.
I want to track the whole arch.
and have it all work :)

I will be doing a setup in the next 30 days (if everything goes right) The hight from the dish to the ground will be around 8 feet, I need to aim over a privacy fence. I also would need anywhere from 50 to 75 feet of cable at the most.

Pricing.. I would like to remain resonable.

Go shopping :) :D

Welcome to home-ownership! And a big, bad, BUD ! - :up

If you've been reading this BUD section much lately, you'll have noticed many fellows find used dishes, and transplant them to their back yard.
Once you have selected a suitable dish, which is in good shape, you put it up however high you think is necessary.
But remember, you'll need a way to get up to the LNB and mount to tune it.

Most BUDs are probably moved by the jacks, or linear screw motors.
Some have horizon-to-horizon mounts, with gears, chains, and worm screws.
Since you sort of take pot-luck when shopping for a used dish, it probably doesn't make sense to have too restrictive a list.
Many fine dishes are out there.
Read through the thread: Adventures in Dish Hunting 2009 for ideas.
Or the 2008 version. It's quite long, but has many pictures and ideas.

For moving the dish with a Pansat 9200, you want to get a Gbox from Sadoun.
They're reasonably priced, and are far better than the whole family of Vboxes which went before it.
Repeat: do not get a Vbox!

Of course, if you should go 4DTV, it's probably best if it moves the dish.
I'm sure the 4D'ers will have better info on the matter.

Then, for the LNB/LNBF . . .
An old BUD will probably come with a Chaparral feedhorn and one C-band LNB (and possibly one Ku-band LNB).
You can spin the polarity servo for changing between V & H with the 4D box, but the Pansat cannot.
So, there are choices.
- when Sadoun ships the new Gbox, it'll have polarity servo control ... but it's not out yet.
- C-band feedhorn with two LNBs (not expensive)
- C & Ku band feedhorn with two C and two Ku LNBs (big bucks)
- C & Ku band LNBF , SatAV CK-1 (not expensive)
- C-band dual-output LNBF, SatAV C2 (very cheap if you order it now)

As with most things, getting the biggest, baddest, most all-inclusive solution is not always the best. :rolleyes:
Often, two small solutions are better than one big solution.
And by that, I mean, a motorized 1m Ku dish provides tremendous performance, so the need for Ku on the BUD is not so serious.
Aligning a BUD for C-only is a lot easier than both C and Ku.

But having said all that, I currently plan on an 8½ foot Birdview, rebuilt with a high-count magnet wheel, the current Gbox, and a dual band CK-1 LNBF.
If I get extra BUDs, I'm thinking about not motorizing them at all, and equipping 'em with SatAV C2 LNBFs.
Of course, everybody has their own idea of what's best.

There's my 2¢ worth... or less. :cool:

The Gbox and CK-1 lnbf like Anole has already said is a great setup. I have it and am impressed with the CK-1, I had an ADL c/ku feedhorn with Cal-Amp lnb's before the CK-1 and I can't say that it was any better.
Good luck with the bid on the house:)

It's the old "look for a big dish that has a little dish set up for the same house" .

I got two big dishes that way, both aluminum solids and one a Birdview. Both for free.

I personally have mine on my roof, but I can get to the lnb by turning the dish all the way west. I realize that others have not had luck with this lnb, but I have been getting both C and Ku in abundance. It's the BSC 621-2 (ku universal) .

I think, though, that if you are going 4dtv at some point, mine is not the lnb model you want. All I can say is, it's working for me very well right now.

Personally, I'm glad I never went with a mesh dish. Those always look ratty, with dents and warps and sections missing. A lot of guys like the mesh Paraclipse dish though.

Good Luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)