New to direct tv.. Got a ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Orangeblood

Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
I have been a long time subscriber to dish and decided to switch yesterday.
I got the "3 for free" deal, and I was just wondering if the receivers have to be hooked up to a telephone line for them to work properly. The salesman asked if I had a outlet close by and when I called to get it installed they asked me again..

I had dish for about 8 years and I never hooked up a telephone line to it unless I wanted to order ppv...

I do not have a telephone outlet in every room, does that matter...

Thanks.....

Orangeblood said:
I have been a long time subscriber to dish and decided to switch yesterday.
I got the "3 for free" deal, and I was just wondering if the receivers have to be hooked up to a telephone line for them to work properly. The salesman asked if I had a outlet close by and when I called to get it installed they asked me again..

I had dish for about 8 years and I never hooked up a telephone line to it unless I wanted to order ppv...

I do not have a telephone outlet in every room, does that matter...

Thanks.....
D*TV is the same...the phone line is only needed for PPV and software updates to the receiver (which might make that a good idea).

It used to be that DTV wouldn't activate a receiver without a phoneline connected and the CSR would make us test them while on the phone.

Now, if you'll hook a phone line to the primary unit, they'll usually activate the additionals as well, and note them as being unable to get PPV.

Once you get past the hard sell by the CSR at activation, you'll enjoy your DirecTV. IMO a much better customer service.

I have to admit, in 3 years of working with 1000's of retailers, this si the first time I have ever heard someone say the DIRECTV customer service was "far better" than Dish! I know it's your opinion, but wow!

I have had both Dish and Direct in recent years and the customer service I received from Dish was ATROCIOUS.

I've also had E* service and now have D* and I must say that E* customer service was crap and very arrogant. I've found that D* has been very friendly and very helpful. :D

Great Customer Care

I agree I had Dish and they could have cared less when I left 5 years ago for a Dolby 5.1 receiver deal with Directv after begging Dish to upgrade me.
I just got a smokin deal on a HDTV receiver because I was looking at a Voom switch.
I still hate the fact of paying $5.00 per additional receiver.
Voom is just $5.00 per account regardless of the amount of receivers.
Directv just increased my monthly charge so as much as I hate to switch Voom may be best for me.

"I have to admit, in 3 years of working with 1000's of retailers, this si the first time I have ever heard someone say the DIRECTV customer service was "far better" than Dish! I know it's your opinion, but wow!"

In activating hundreds of receivers with DTV and Dish, I find the Dish CSR's to be more competent, and the DTV CSR's a joke because of the hard sell with which they run over my customers. But the everyday service CSR with DTV has been head and shoulders above Dish CSR's. Dish CSR's have no authority to work to solve customer problems, and most times seem to not care if the customer is could happy or not.

LET ME HELP CLEAR UP THE PHONE LINE ISSUE. i AM AN INSTALLER FIRST OF ALL,D* is requireing us as installers to run phone lines by contract that is it period. Now does this mean the cust is required to have it hooked to a phone line? NO. The cust. can request no phone line and all they have to do is sign the waiver paper that, well atleast the one we use here in PA. and this is only to cover our asses period.We here no longer get paid to run phone lines this is also in the contract the company i am with has,phone lines for free period.The waiver basically states that the cust. has been informed of the {laugh} importance of the phone line and does not want the box hooked to a phone line. Now i hope whoever reads this now understands what the hoopla is about the phone line. THE BOX DOES NOT HAVE TO BE HOOKED TO THE PHONE LINE IF THE CUST. REQUESTS THAT IT NOT BE HOOKED TO A PHONELINE PERIOD.........

Newbie, I've had DTV for 7 years and I haven't had it connected to a phone jack during the last 4 years. Since I don't order PPV I don't see the need . Come to think of it, what information would I want to send to them? I'm only interested in them sending me stuff via the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)