New to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LincSta

Original poster
May 24, 2010
Kentucky
I'm a new customer of directv, with service now for about 45 days or so. Right now I'm really enjoying the programming, trying to find all the channel numbers, ect... I switched over from Dish Network for a few reasons... The prices at Dish were getting out of hand, and the only programming I was able to afford was their family package, and they wouldn't offer a loyal customer who had been with Dish for roughly 10 years, any special prices. It was going to cost me at least 10-15 bucks more a month to get the same programming that I'm getting on Direct right now...

My biggest complaint though with Direct is that I was promised a $10/month discount by giving them my neighbor's "name, account number, address and phone number"... I had to call back with the account number, since the neighbor had to look that up for me... So after the 2nd billing came through, the $10 discount wasn't on it. I call up Direct and was told that I can't get that since I had to "call back with the account number" and didn't have it at the time I installed (since I only had the people's name & address)...

I'm somewhat furious at that deal - and the neighbor didn't get his either... I would have probably just gone with the local cable company's "basic package" or kept Dish if I had known they weren't going to give me the additional $10 off...

Sucks that people "promise" and never deliver.. So I'm thinking now that Direct is not much better than Dish - promise but don't deliver... Go figure!!

I feel your pain, BUT as with ALL rebate deals, if the letter of the law isn't followed 110% they have the right to refuse it. I think they all should help or prompt customers through these processes, but that really is not their job. The responsibility is always placed on the end user. You can an should try calling back CALMLY and get your call escalated past a 1st or 2nd line CSR that really has no power to help you.

I have been a Directv customer since around 1996 and an installer on and off since about that period. I have found that Directv never lies. However, when you discover what is actually happening and compare it to your expectation you will see that somewhere in the fine print it is your expectations that led to the problem. Add to that any dealings with intermediate retailers, sales forces or installation companies and you will find a great potential for getting screwed.

Take the long view. You are now a Directv customer. What is better than that?

Joe

When I signed up with Direct this summer I got an extra rebate $5.00 off a month deal. I followed Directs instructions to the tee and have been having no problems. I would call Direct and explain the situation to a supervisor and see what they can do.

Please, somebody can advise me how to figure out if my DirecTV HR20 is leased or owned - do they have a web-site that i can plug in RID number and see results???

Please, somebody can advise me how to figure out if my DirecTV HR20 is leased or owned - do they have a web-site that i can plug in RID number and see results???

No, you have to call to find out.

seems as tho when I called, they found the info on the account but this gal said "no way were they going to apply the $10 discount since I have the account number in hand when the service guy installed"... They were the ones who told me to call back with the account number in the first place (when I ordered)... That was the main reason I ordered Direct TV in the first place instead of the local cable after being screwed by dish network....

Owell... i've tried calling but they "don't have supervisors available at this time", so when it expires I'll go with the local cable for 20 bux i guess...

Not sure it is helpful, but I signed up online as a referral and have had no issue. I feel more comfortable doing it that way because if I screw up, I know it is my fault. When I speak with a CSR, I am at their mercy and I am not willing to take that chance. I would keep calling and speak with a supervisor. If not, I believe Iceberg on the forum is the unofficial Directv liaison, he might be able to get you in touch with the right people.

Not sure it is helpful, but I signed up online as a referral and have had no issue. I feel more comfortable doing it that way because if I screw up, I know it is my fault. When I speak with a CSR, I am at their mercy and I am not willing to take that chance. I would keep calling and speak with a supervisor. If not, I believe Iceberg on the forum is the unofficial Directv liaison, he might be able to get you in touch with the right people.

ok cool... i have no idea who to contact, and when i had dish network they would connect you from one person to another and you'd never get anywhere... Those guys really got next to me, and that was another reason I decided to look elsewhere for tv service....

thanks man!!

I have been a D* customer about the same amount of time... I followed all the instructions that D* gave me and my rebates kicked in as advertised... MRV is awesome and gets a good workout daily... Happy D* customer so far... CC

Owell... i've tried calling but they "don't have supervisors available at this time", so when it expires I'll go with the local cable for 20 bux i guess...
Your commitment to DIRECTV doesn't expire for another 685 days so you're stuck with DIRECTV for a while.

I had a very similar issue with another discount that has to be done at the time of the order.. When I asked about it, the guy who took my order said "yeah you can just get that done after you activate", but as it turns out when I called in to get it after my install, I was told it can only be done at the time of order by calling a special number. The person who I talked to just didn't want to give up the commission on my install. I pleaded my case to the CSRs and asked to be transferred higher a few times, finally got to someone who was able to send the case to escalations. I gave her all the details, they looked into the matter, and about a week later I got a letter saying they reviewed the case and applied my discount with no further questions asked. If I had to guess, they actually went and listened to the call recording and found the guy lied to me. If you were told it would be applied, there will be a record of it.

But it was able to be done, you just have to be very polite about it and talk to the right person. Getting angry and yelling will get you nowhere.

I have been a D* customer about the same amount of time... I followed all the instructions that D* gave me and my rebates kicked in as advertised... MRV is awesome and gets a good workout daily... Happy D* customer so far... CC

everything else kicked in (rebates, ect) except the neighbor discount deal.... so not sure what happened there.... I don't know what mrv is, all i know is that i have the 2nd tier package, think its choice plus? maybe?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts