New to Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Well, I made the plunge and switched from DISH to direct tonight. The lack of a dual tuner receiver for existing customers and the whole Viacom spat led to it.

What should I expect from the service and from the Directivo? Does the brand matter? Are there any pros and cons to the receivers?

Neutron said:
Well, I made the plunge and switched from DISH to direct tonight. The lack of a dual tuner receiver for existing customers and the whole Viacom spat led to it.

What should I expect from the service and from the Directivo? Does the brand matter? Are there any pros and cons to the receivers?

Welcome to the land of Rupert. From what I've seen all the DirecTivo's out there now are basically the same under the cover, made my the same factory. The best thing I can say is to sit down and read the instruction manual and get used to the Tivo way of doing things. Also, look at all the settings, I'd say take a close look at the setting for Tivo to record things that it thinks you want to watch. I let it take the default and started to get all sorts of stuff I really didn't care about being recorded. Also, if you leave two channels (580 and 581 I think) in your received and favorites channel list the box will switch one of those tuners to those channels to record previews in the middle of the night. Then the next day when you turn your TV on you have a blank screen since there's nothing being show on that channel except for those special downloads. Enjoy!

Forgot to mention, got sign up at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/ for the latest Tivo news and tips.

Neutron said:

The Viacom issue is over. Whats wrong with the 322,522 or 722?

WLong said:
The Viacom issue is over. Whats wrong with the 322,522 or 722?

It would have been nice to be able to get a 322 or 522. the 721 is way too expensive and buggy.

Man, DISH must not care at all about retaining customers. They didn't try at all to keep me when I called to set up my disconnect. I was just told about my cancellation fee and about the $25 reconnect fee and 2 months if we come back.

They asked why I was cancelling and I told them it was partly due to a lack of a dual tuner receiver (the 721 is a joke) for existing customers and the whole Viacom fiasco and $1 joke of a credit.

Directv did everything the could to get me signed up, including a free directivo.

Existing customers can only purchase a 721 receiver at this time from Dish. But such a receiver is priced way to high in comparison to what DirecTivo offers.

You could purchase a second receiver but all new receivers get hit with the DVR fee. And when you look at paying for DVR service, the Echostar receivers pail in comparison to what DirecTV can offer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts